Mauritius / Cape Town or elsewhere?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Starwood Gold
When we did SA safari, we spent 4 nights in Cape Town (O&O) and six nights in Mauritius (FS). While we very much enjoyed Mauritius, we felt like it was just a beach vacation and we could've been anywhere. Cape Town was an amazing city and I think a better use of time if you'll already be on that side of the world imo. Also the wine country is under an hour away which was a great daytrip and the graff estate has an excellent resort (though I recognize you'll be with kids). There's also garden route, cape of good hope etc. as others mentioned. Lots to do and see around Cape Town. Could always split it up between Cape Town and a beach vaca (i.e. zanzibar, mauritius), though it's a lot of travel.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
As others have said it really depends on time of year. We have been to Capetown many times and love the Ellerman House, with great ocean views. Just an hour or so outside of Capetown in Hermanus is the Birkenhead, with gorgeous ocean views. Another favorite.

We liked Mauritius , but did not love it. ( stayed at Prince Mauritius about 5 years agipo) Love the Seychelles but time of year important - stayed on three different trips at north Island and fregate ( loved both), and four seasons which we liked, not loved, although very nice beach.

This past summer we went to Mozambique which we really enjoyed, following another trip to Southern Africa. Azura has two resorts, both can be accessed directly from joburg. Azura Benguerra is about a 90 min flight followed by a short helicopter transfer, and Azura Quilalea is about 2 1/2 hours away followed by a short helicopter. The latter is a private island with only 9 rooms.
I keep meaning to write this up for the group, in fact i did the other night and deleted accidentally! Will do soon. These two resorts are as nice as it gets in Mozambique, but not as luxurious as Mauritius and the Seychelles, but we personally loved.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AsiaMiles
Driving / car safety in Cape Town?

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Cape Town is wonderful, a beautiful city with lots to do in it and surrounding it. The children would probably love the penguin colonies south of the city. You also see big baboons when you go to Cape Hope. There are the vineyards nearby, some with terrific restaurants. There are a range of museums in Cape Town, some telling the story of apartheid, some of gold and other art. There's the cable car ride up to the top of the mountain. You'd be in a car or taxi much more in Cape Town since you need to go out and about to enjoy these places, whereas at a Mauritius hotel, the family can simply spill out from the room onto the beach.
Hi SanDiego1K, I'm heading to Cape Town in 2 weeks, and wondered if it's safe and easy to drive a rental car around? I hear about carjacking etc. and it makes me wonder if it's a good idea to self-tour the region, or if we should take organized day tours in the area. We want to hike Table Mountain, visit Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, tour the vineyards ... and will be staying in Constantia.

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:44 pm

I always rent a car in Cape Town where I go quite regularly. I have never had any issues, the car's all seem to self-lock, if not, always good practice to lock your doors there. Constantia, though nice, is one of the most "boring" areas - everything will be very safe there, same for the winelands et al.

Unless you're 70+, who does tours? Only caveat about renting a car; make sure you're not on roads without street lights after dark - most accidents happen there because cars are missing headlights, people walking on highways, etc...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Delighted to have been of some assistance! If you go to Anjajavy let us all know what you thought of it.
We are heading to Anjajavy L'Hotel over New Year's (following Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge in Rwanda and preceding our 4th visit to Cape Town/Franschhoek). Trip report to follow on our return!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We are heading to Anjajavy L'Hotel over New Year's (following Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge in Rwanda and preceding our 4th visit to Cape Town/Franschhoek). Trip report to follow on our return!
Fantastic trip - looking forward to reading all about it.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time

If you rent a car in Cape Town, a quick tip is that the city is littered with speed cameras, and unlike the UK not coloured yellow so you can see them. Same around George/Knysna/Plett

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.