Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to prefer larger hotels though I also like to stay at good boutique hotels. Room size and amenities will be what I usually look for follow closely by F&B and service. And in London, I prefer to stay at some place more traditional, ie. "British".
If you like larger hotels, then Covent Garden Hotel is probably not for you. It has much more of a boutique hotel vibe
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:48 am

What is the consensus here on Firmdale hotels in London? They seems kind of boutique style and rates are attractive but are they consider luxury?
I am actually interested to try the Convent Garden.
They are very good indeed. Covent Garden is one of the original hotels and is still my favourite. And yes, they are considered luxury, but their style lacks any pretentions.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Your advice, if I may....

Planning on taking the Mrs away for 1 night this Sat-Sun in London. We last stayed in the Shard 6 months ago as a mini honeymoon, and I thought about heading back as we feel in love with this property.... however I am concerned that it won't be what I expect it to be. We were treated so well last time!

What are my options sub £500 (Virtuoso etc.) for a 1 night true luxury experience? I know I could do a cheap and cheerful Hilton with my Diamond status and get some perks, but they lack the true luxury that I'm after. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie

Planning on taking the Mrs away for 1 night this Sat-Sun in London. We last stayed in the Shard 6 months ago as a mini honeymoon, and I thought about heading back as we feel in love with this property.... however I am concerned that it won't be what I expect it to be. We were treated so well last time!

What are my options sub £500 (Virtuoso etc.) for a 1 night true luxury experience? I know I could do a cheap and cheerful Hilton with my Diamond status and get some perks, but they lack the true luxury that I'm after. Any thoughts?
You're the first person I hear mentioning The Shangri-La at the Shard in a positive context...
0bsidian likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I actually recommend using TripAdvisor's search tool to search for the 1 Sat night and use "5 star" and "luxury" screening categories...and see the resulting price ranges for the best values or the top hotels. I wouldn't worry about the hotel ranking from TripAdvisor as long as the hotel is in the top group you likely hear about anyway. Doing a quick search now shows even the Connaught going for US$566, the Beaumont for US$452, the Lanesborough for US$650, the Halkin for US$387, the Rosewood for US$491, the Stafford for US$369, etc.

You can screen further by selecting certain amenities that you prioritize, like spa, pool, on-site restaurant, etc.

The SL at the Shard goes for US$501...but is ranked even by TripAdvisor at #60, much lower than the others mentioned above. I think you can do much better with any of those suggested above, both in terms of rate and in terms of luxury.

The TripAdvisor rankings are often worthless...but the search tool is quite useful when looking a comparative rates with multiple hotel options. Then you can book with the Virtuoso TA and hopefully get an even better deal or upgrades.
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scented
You're the first person I hear mentioning The Shangri-La at the Shard in a positive context...
Really? Why? Maybe we just had an amazing experience. Is the Shard not considered luxury? We booked with Amex FHR, got all the benefits, an upgrade from a basic room to
a suite. Had the pool to ourselves for an hour. Breakfast was amazing. I’m just confused!
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I actually recommend using TripAdvisor's search tool to search for the 1 Sat night and use "5 star" and "luxury" screening categories...and see the resulting price ranges for the best values or the top hotels. I wouldn't worry about the hotel ranking from TripAdvisor as long as the hotel is in the top group you likely hear about anyway. Doing a quick search now shows even the Connaught going for US$566, the Beaumont for US$452, the Lanesborough for US$650, the Halkin for US$387, the Rosewood for US$491, the Stafford for US$369, etc.

You can screen further by selecting certain amenities that you prioritize, like spa, pool, on-site restaurant, etc.

The SL at the Shard goes for US$501...but is ranked even by TripAdvisor at #60 , much lower than the others mentioned above. I think you can do much better with any of those suggested above, both in terms of rate and in terms of luxury.

The TripAdvisor rankings are often worthless...but the search tool is quite useful when looking a comparative rates with multiple hotel options. Then you can book with the Virtuoso TA and hopefully get an even better deal or upgrades.
Thanks for that. Just after something that bit special. Where staff are just amazing and a room too. We loved the room at the shard because it was so modern and the views were second to none. The breakfast and pool were also amazing. What do you personally think is better? Just after great service, a great room, nice breakfast and ideally a pool or spa.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:09 am Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for that. Just after something that bit special. Where staff are just amazing and a room too. We loved the room at the shard because it was so modern and the views were second to none. The breakfast and pool were also amazing. What do you personally think is better? Just after great service, a great room, nice breakfast and ideally a pool or spa.
I'm not the London expert in the same way others here are...and I certainly have little perspective on your preferences! You have many wonderful options within your budget, so I'd pick the one with the best spa and pool--since those seem important to you--and enjoy! If you prefer modern, the Lanesborough (great spa, but very traditional) wont be it. Then maybe the Bulgari or Beaumont (small spa pool though, I hear). Or the Connaught--our London hero swears by it. (I've never been, but I hear the bar is amazing...but it seems a bit traditonal.) The Halkin I love, but there's no spa or pool.

Or do something different. We prefer modern for sure, but we got married at La Residence in South Africa which is very traditional and overdone and yet the service and setting and food made us love it anyway. Sometimes a change is nice. Go with your gut. It's just one night. Don't overthink it!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I still need to familiarize myself with the Beaumont, but am not a fan of most of the other hotels that bhrubin has highlighted. For a true luxury romantic night I'd probably choose either the Connaught (all round amazing service, just consider avoiding the restaurant) or the Savoy - not the same level of service, but a stunning building and a real "wow" for tourists visiting London. Depending on your sense of aesthetic, the other two I'd consider are Browns (wonderful boutique feeling) or the Langham (many similarities to the Connaught, just not at the same level).

There will be a sense on this forum that you got rather lucky at the Shangri-La. It has a reputation as being a bit more of a tourist attraction than a viable hotel for someone with expectations of service.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to prefer larger hotels though I also like to stay at good boutique hotels. Room size and amenities will be what I usually look for follow closely by F&B and service. And in London, I prefer to stay at some place more traditional, ie. "British".
I am also not a London expert but we have been there several times and the best experience we had was at Taj 51 Buckingham. This is the main Taj (there are two). Now it is boutique, BUT their rooms are enormous (especially for London standards) as ours was 1000 sq ft. The hard product is undeniably enticing and the service was absolutely delicious. Their high tea is well regarded and we truly enjoyed it along with their Restaurant, Quilon, is Michelin starred south Indian food...a must.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I still need to familiarize myself with the Beaumont, but am not a fan of most of the other hotels that bhrubin has highlighted. For a true luxury romantic night I'd probably choose either the Connaught (all round amazing service, just consider avoiding the restaurant) or the Savoy - not the same level of service, but a stunning building and a real "wow" for tourists visiting London. Depending on your sense of aesthetic, the other two I'd consider are Browns (wonderful boutique feeling) or the Langham (many similarities to the Connaught, just not at the same level).

There will be a sense on this forum that you got rather lucky at the Shangri-La. It has a reputation as being a bit more of a tourist attraction than a viable hotel for someone with expectations of service.
I love the Savoy. It has been my go-to hotel for London over the years although there are some ups and downs and most folks here find them too stuffy, I actually prefer it because it feels very traditional, very "British". But for some unknown reasons, their rates are now going at more than GPB1000 for a small JR suite which is hard to stomach.

BTW, what's wrong with the Connaught's restaurants? I am actually thinking of trying them.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mumum17
I am also not a London expert but we have been there several times and the best experience we had was at Taj 51 Buckingham. This is the main Taj (there are two). Now it is boutique, BUT their rooms are enormous (especially for London standards) as ours was 1000 sq ft. The hard product is undeniably enticing and the service was absolutely delicious. Their high tea is well regarded and we truly enjoyed it along with their Restaurant, Quilon, is Michelin starred south Indian food...a must.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried the Taj 51 before and my experience was rather mixed. They are actually service apartment + townhouse hotel. Rooms were nice but service was very slow. Some of the staff aren't very polite.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BTW, what's wrong with the Connaught's restaurants? I am actually thinking of trying them.
Helene Darozze is their signature 2* Michelin Restaurant, rated as one of London's best restaurants but I have yet to find anyone who is a fan. It occupies perhaps a narrow niche in offering an ultra exclusive ambiance but offering traditionally inspired and cooked food. After 12 courses cooked in duck fat I felt like I'd just eaten a KFC Family Bucket, rather than invested close to $1,000 in a great experience. I've not yet been to the new Jean-Georges restaurant, but I checked it out last Saturday after drinks at the always exceptional Connaught Bar and found the menu a bit dull and insipid. I've somewhat overdosed on Jean-Georges restaurants at Starwood hotels over the last year, but I am pretty confident Mayfair has better things to offer (and Soho also better places to offer, but at 1/3 of the cost).
jp-mco and MacMyDay like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Rosewood is wonderful. The location isn't the best but it's within easy reach of the main sites of London.

I live in London and can help with any questions including restaurants etc.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:28 am

To quote myself:

.....although I will definitely take issue with the use of the word “exquisite” describing the lunch. “Adequate” may have been a better adjective. Helene Darroze was not in the kitchen due to having recently broken her arm, but my suspicion is more that she deliberately injured herself to pass the blame of this monstrosity onto someone else. It’s what Jesus would do. And then to add insult to (her) injury, they put the price of £295 on the menu, to somehow make you appreciate it more. If you want me to appreciate it, I would recommend not adjusting the menu for allergies by simply removing the lobster from the lobster dish. Imagine what they would have done were I allergic to turkey: a few pieces of vegetables on a plate?

I would take further issue with their blatant attempt at exploiting the Christmas spirit by forcing a Christmas Eve menu on us at Jean-Georges, only to be willing to change it to a la carte when we started it and didn’t like it. I’m happy paying £300 for a meal – heck we just came back from Tokyo where no meal cost less – just not at the quality offered by the conveyor-belt feeling of Jean-Georges. That restaurant has turned into a brutal mistake – often mine for going there. There is a direct correlation between the amount of time I spend there and the amount of hatred I have towards it.
We were offered a free meal in Jean-Georges and turned it down - that's how much we like it. In fairness to them, their pastry chef (stolen from The Lanesborough) is a genius and anything cake related is a work of art, but to remove any credit from Jean-Georges, he actually works for The Connaught and does all the afternoon teas too.

I have now, somehow, been tricked into going to Helene Darroze 6 times, and only once was it good, all 5 years ago. The first time I visited I hated it so much I felt it destroyed the reputation of Michelin stars. I have been to every 2 and 3 star restaurant in London and feel most of them are not warranting of praise, but Helene Darroze is in a new league of mediocrity by itself. Yes, even after going to The Greenhouse and my ex throwing up during the meal after they smothered a steak in wasabi.

And I say all of this whilst absolutely loving The Connaught hotel and very much looking forward to going back on Saturday for what will be north of our 200th night there.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
To quote myself:

We were offered a free meal in Jean-Georges and turned it down - that's how much we like it. In fairness to them, their pastry chef (stolen from The Lanesborough) is a genius and anything cake related is a work of art, but to remove any credit from Jean-Georges, he actually works for The Connaught and does all the afternoon teas too.

I have now, somehow, been tricked into going to Helene Darroze 6 times, and only once was it good, all 5 years ago. The first time I visited I hated it so much I felt it destroyed the reputation of Michelin stars. I have been to every 2 and 3 star restaurant in London and feel most of them are not warranting of praise, but Helene Darroze is in a new league of mediocrity by itself. Yes, even after going to The Greenhouse and my ex throwing up during the meal after they smothered a steak in wasabi.

And I say all of this whilst absolutely loving The Connaught hotel and very much looking forward to going back on Saturday for what will be north of our 200th night there.
Ouch... So what do you like about the Connaught that you are returning for your 200th stay given the horrific F&B experience you have described? The service? The room? Just curious.. And is the breakfast just as awful? As a foodie myself, I can't imagine going back to stay at a hotel where the restaurants are new leagues of mediocrity.

I kind of fancy the JR Suite in the new wing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.