Search

Botswana Safari Selection Issue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Botswana Safari Selection Issue

Our initial plan was to spend 3 days at Mombo Camp, 3 days at King's Pool. However, our travel agent is strongly suggesting we add 3 days in between at Vumbura Plains. Is 6 days of Safari enough, or would we be better served doing all three camps? Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 pm

Mr. Cynnamin and I did 3 days at Little Mombo, 3 days at Kings Pool and 3 days at Jao a few years ago and we never thought it was too much, but it might be different for another person. Vumbura Plains is a water camp, so depending on the season you might not see as many games as Mombo or Kings Pool.

We chose Jao over Vumbura during the shoulder season. The mocoro ride was fantastic, and if you are into bird watching either Jao or Vumbura is fantastic. We weren't birders so we didn't care that much. I think my safari travel agent said food at Vumbura was better. The food at Kings Pool was fantastic when Ben was a chef. Not sure if he's still there.

Try and see if you can do Little Mombo instead of Mombo and make it your last stop. You'll have access to the Mombo facility except for meals, and I found the setting more intimate. Mombo and Little Mombo are in the same camp, but with only three tents it felt even more private. The game viewing at Mombo (Moremi Game Reserve) is absolutely amazing, and we thought it would have been a let down had we gone to Mombo before other camps. Lots and lots of lions. Also probably one of the very few places in Botswana where you'll see both white and black rhinoceros if you're lucky and will only see them if they are near the main road.

There is no off roading and no early morning/night safari at Moremi Game Reserve because it's a national park, but we were actually thankful after having to wake up at 5 AM each morning for morning game rides.

Last edited by Cynnamin; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:25 pm

In my opinion, 6 days are plenty.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:07 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
IIRC, we did 2 nights at King's Pool, 2 nights at Jao and 3 or 4 nights at Singita. To be honest, our favorite part of the trip was Jao in the Okavango Delta. The delta is unlike anything you've ever seen before....so lush and green and water everywhere! We did the mekoro ride as well and loved the colorful frogs and birds clinging to the reeds. I highly recommend it. Jao is gorgeous (don't know anything about Vumbura) and waking up there is so delightfully loud! The birds and all different frogs all fight each other to be heard at daybreak. It's an amazing experience and works beautifully in what can otherwise be a very dry, dusty safari. There are still lots of lions, etc. at Jao, too. I have a trip report on this forum with listed animal sightings for each camp.

Don't be afraid to stay 2 nights sometimes. It's very common in safaris. But I wouldn't do everything 2 nights. That would get too crazy. Somewhere between 6-9 nights total might be right. Add the 3rd camp and see the Delta!

Last edited by Ericka; Feb 22, 2013 at 4:50 am
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I think 3 nights per location is perfect for a safari. In Botswana I would absolutely recommend King Pool, Jao, and mombo. I also suggest Mombo for last. The other great camp in Botswana is Chief's camp.

Another option is 2 camps in Botswana and a camp or two in South Africa. Singita boulders is my favorite with singita lebombo a close second. I personally can not get enough of the animals so think 9 nights great, but is my personal taste. We have been to Africa many, many times and are going back again this summer so this gives you an idea that we may like more than normal!

Botswana is my personal favorite of all the countries we have visited so I am sure you will have a great time. BTW there is a relatively new camp in Botswana we have not tried but will called Zarafa. It is supposed to be spectacular with great game! Another option!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
We don't have much say in the order in which we see the camps. Due to booking so late, they are kind of fitting us in wherever they can.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:58 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
We don't have much say in the order in which we see the camps. Due to booking so late, they are kind of fitting us in wherever they can.
Which is why we weren't able to do Mombo at all. And we booked over a year out!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Ericka
Which is why we weren't able to do Mombo at all. And we booked over a year out!
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So if you are still going this year, stick to what they suggest.
We 'd a great time at 3 camps.
Enjoyed Ben's cooking at King's Pool too & he will adjust menu for one as far as possible.
Only visited Jao as think it was full.
Really enjoyed Okavango Delta & mokoro , water life , animals & birds just amazing .
Managed to fit in Victoria Falls - was another highlight :-:
Deciding if to postpone trip for this year as not getting preferred camps to catch some of the migration.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:51 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Larkin
Botswana is my personal favorite of all the countries we have visited so I am sure you will have a great time. BTW there is a relatively new camp in Botswana we have not tried but will called Zarafa. It is supposed to be spectacular with great game! Another option!
I too am interested in possibly pairing Mombo with Zarafa. It's a Wilderness Safari-managed camp so it ought to be awesome, and it only has 4 tents so privacy should be on par with Little Mombo.

However - according to my trusted agent - one minor nit pick is that the area (Selinda) has a much shorter stretch of waterfront to call its own. As a result, game viewing is less reliable than some other locations such as Kwando.

Not sure how true it is, but it's something to think about.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
andbeyond
250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum

wilderness safaris wilderness collection ("exceptional")
abu camp - 1,619km2 shared with seba camp and macatoo camp

wilderness safaris premier ("highest level")
vumbura plains - 526km2 shared with little vumbura
zarafa camp

wilderness safaris & http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/
1,295km2 - 4 zarafa + 8 selinda camp + 4 selinda explorers camp + 4 selinda canoe trail
311km2 - 6 duba plains camp

sanctuary (abercombie & kent)
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp + 8 stanley's camp
http://www.africatravelresource.com/...wana/linyanti/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 23, 2013 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:34 pm

Vumbura Plains was terrific and the water based activities added a new dimension to our trip. We are happy we spent a few nights there.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Vumbura Plains was terrific and the water based activities added a new dimension to our trip. We are happy we spent a few nights there.
Thanks for posting- what are the water based activities if you can elaborate?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for posting- what are the water based activities if you can elaborate?
Water based activities tend to be in a makuro ( kind of a dug out canoe) where you glide through the water with a guide and see lots of beautiful bird life, hippos, crocs, and othe animals along the banks. It is a great compliment to a primarily land based safari. Up I think ideal is (2) 3 night land based, and (1) 3 night water based. Another nice water based camp in Botswana is Jao.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larkin
Water based activities tend to be in a makuro ( kind of a dug out canoe) where you glide through the water with a guide and see lots of beautiful bird life, hippos, crocs, and othe animals along the banks. It is a great compliment to a primarily land based safari. Up I think ideal is (2) 3 night land based, and (1) 3 night water based. Another nice water based camp in Botswana is Jao.
Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:14 am

I agree with Larkin's recommendation. In addition to the mokoro excursion, we chartered a helicopter for a 45 minute trip and it was a spectacular way to have an overview of the amazing Okavango Delta. Because the rooms are built on the flood plain, we enjoyed listening and watching the wildlife, particularly some very loud elephants, in the water right outside our door. Jao camp is supposed to be spectacular, but it wasn't available for our dates. VP proved to be a super option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.