Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Botswana Safari Selection Issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ericka
Which is why we weren't able to do Mombo at all. And we booked over a year out!
I'm already planning a 2015 safari. Want to be ready to book it as soon as the window opens.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I'm already planning a 2015 safari. Want to be ready to book it as soon as the window opens.
Talk to your TA about that window. We are going to Botswana in two months, and even booking 10.5 months out, we still didnt get our first choice at all 3 properties we are visiting. I dont know if Wilderness Safaris' window is 365 days, or 1.5 years, or what, but it is worth figuring that out and having your travel agent pounce on the window as soon as it opens. Especially if you are picky about the properties you want to be at.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
At least for Wilderness-operated camps, it's AT LEAST 18 months. We are thinking of staying at 2 camps there in 2014, and my TA provided me with a PDF of all Wildnerness camps along with the # of rooms that have already been booked. This is through September, since we're looking at the July-Sept. period.

Some of the camps are already fully booked during that time! Interestingly, Tubu Tree is more booked than others. My TA said that, even though it's not as luxurious as, say, Jao is, the guiding, location and experience is revered by true safari aficionados. The bargain price (relative to Wilderness's "premier" camps) probably doesn't hurt either.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
all booked now. Flying from Cape Town through JNB to Maun, then jumping off from there. Booked three nights at Mombo and three nights at King's Pool. From there a few days in Victoria Falls, then a quick stop in JNB on the way to S.America.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
all booked now. Flying from Cape Town through JNB to Maun, then jumping off from there. Booked three nights at Mombo and three nights at King's Pool. From there a few days in Victoria Falls, then a quick stop in JNB on the way to S.America.
Sounds fab! Some of my favorite places and you cannot go wrong!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
Needing to start booking for a Oct 2014 Trip. Anyone have recs for Travel Agents they recommend for luxury safari bookings? I've never been to Africa so figured would need a lot of help pinpointing what the itinerary should look like. Please PM me. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by sarahlee
Needing to start booking for a Oct 2014 Trip. Anyone have recs for Travel Agents they recommend for luxury safari bookings? I've never been to Africa so figured would need a lot of help pinpointing what the itinerary should look like. Please PM me. Thanks!
After trying a couple different agents, we booked our latest trip with Brownell Travel and Jessica Ourisman--who we found because we have used David O. (referenced on this board many times and a frequent poster himself) for non-safari bookings. Jessica has been excellent so far, and I would definitely recommend her: http://www.brownelltravel.com/jessicaourisman.html
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:23 am

I think Mombo Camp(and Little Mombo) is the best game viewing in Africa. Its a must when visiting!!!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
What time of the year is best for going?

Also, do you often see kids going to these places? Our kids are 7 and 5 now.. if we book 18 months out they'll be almost 9 and 7 by then.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:17 am

If I recall correctly, most of these places have a 12 year old age limit.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
If I recall correctly, most of these places have a 12 year old age limit.
That is true for the Wilderness Safaris properties for sure. And for a pretty good reason--there are no fences at these properties, and children dont have the judgement to not go wandering around (trying to find cats, hyenas, etc.). Having said that the F&B manager at Kings Pool said they were considering a pilot program with full time nannies for kids there. But the youngest people we saw on our trip were university age.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:39 am

Winter is the perfect time to go. Excellent opportunities to view the game because the foliage is not as dense.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:59 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Pretty sure September is the best....dry season so foliage is thin making viewing easier and animals are at watering holes. Also, it's not too hot or too cold.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are plenty of family options
as well as exclusive use
and some wilderness safaris and &beyond etc are only 3 to 4 or so rooms
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Another question. I am starting to plan a our safari for next July. If we do Botswana, based on that time of year are there any of the highly recommended lodges that we should avoid due to where the animals will by that time of year (I really want to see lions).
Also, when thinking about transfers, how easy is it to get from the camps in Botswana into Jberg? Basically, if I want to get on a noon flight to either Mozambique or the Seychelles for some beach time afterwards, would it be possible to leave Botswana that same morning, or am I going to be looking at an overnight stay in Jberg?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.