Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a weekend trip to San Francisco. It has been awhile since I have been there, but in the past I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the Grand Hyatt. I have enjoyed the Ritz very much, but I hear that the Grand Hyatt has gone downhill and is no longer even deemed a luxury property.

I see that most of the top properties all have similar rates (ranging from $390 to $415) and am quite overwhelmed by the amount of properties available: Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin, St Regis, Fairmont, etc.

Which is the best and why? I would be going by myself (30 year old male) and my main interests would be bar hopping, dining, and shopping. I also would love a hotel with a great indoor pool and spa facilities.

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by danielmadrid07
I am planning a weekend trip to San Francisco. It has been awhile since I have been there, but in the past I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the Grand Hyatt. I have enjoyed the Ritz very much, but I hear that the Grand Hyatt has gone downhill and is no longer even deemed a luxury property.

I see that most of the top properties all have similar rates (ranging from $390 to $415) and am quite overwhelmed by the amount of properties available: Four Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin, St Regis, Fairmont, etc.

Which is the best and why? I would be going by myself (30 year old male) and my main interests would be bar hopping, dining, and shopping. I also would love a hotel with a great indoor pool and spa facilities.

Thanks

Daniel,

I really disliked both the Ritz and Mandarin on my last trip a few months back. FS management is below par for the brand; if you've stayed at the Miami property you'll get the idea. St. Regis would be my choice for you if money is not a consideration, ideally in a Metropolitan Suite. Secondarily, though frankly my preferred place, is the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. The hotel has a world-class spa and pool area in addition to a really great old San Francisco restaurant and bar. Request the suite on the SE corner on the 11th floor for a separate soaking tub and shower.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Grand Hyatt was never a luxury property but the rooms were all refurbished not too long ago and, in the price range, might be a good value if an upscale hotel is OK for you. Fairmont, IC, Stanford Court, and StFrancis are in the same category, not luxury.

Many folks here like the MO but I didn't, my room was substandard the one time I tried it. The RC has a great location but doubtless needs renovation by now. I would pick the FS if I was choosing for me.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver; Delta
Yeah the FS while nice, has some problems. For example, when I got into my room the door area between the living room and bedroom has a cantaloupe size orange stain. OCD me, started working on the stain and it came out. Obviously, housekeeping needs a revamp.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by nba1017
I really disliked both the Ritz and Mandarin on my last trip a few months back. FS management is below par for the brand; if you've stayed at the Miami property you'll get the idea. St. Regis would be my choice for you if money is not a consideration, ideally in a Metropolitan Suite. Secondarily, though frankly my preferred place, is the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. The hotel has a world-class spa and pool area in addition to a really great old San Francisco restaurant and bar. Request the suite on the SE corner on the 11th floor for a separate soaking tub and shower.
I live in SF so don't stay in the hotels, but have some comments. We toured the FS before it opened -- we are owners at FS Aviara and they had an opening reception we were invited to -- undoubtedly in the hopes that we would want to buy one of the pricey condos on the top floors. The rooms looked very much like the FS Miami, in which we have stayed. We found it to be a rather "utilitarian" FS. Not much soul and the FS in San Francisco felt a bit the same. Have been several times for meals and drinks on the lobby level which is nice enough. Location is fabulous. Hard to beat. Easy walking distance to everything downtown, Ferry Building etc.

The Huntington is a beautiful old hotel close to the Fairmont, the Mark Hopkins and the Grace Cathedral. Up on top of a hill. Gorgeous. Had a friend who used to stay there and the spa is indeed world class. The downside is that it is a longish walk (and a longish UPHILL) walk to the shops and museums, restaurants etc.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:01 pm

I would definitely chose the St. Regis. The Ritz is terrible and although I hear the Mandarin was just renovated the location in not great. The St. Regis has by far the best rooms. I find the rooms at the FS to be very dull. Also, the pool is much better at the St. Regis. The FS is connected to the Sports Club LA so the pool/gym tends to be very crowded.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:25 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Another St Regis vote. Look for a 3rd night free promo from the usual upscale sources.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by ABG
Another St Regis vote. Look for a 3rd night free promo from the usual upscale sources.
For warm welcoming excellent service, good food, and the top notch Sports Club LA access, the FS gets my vote.

We have stayed several times at the St. Regis and like it, particularly the breakfast, but there is some noise issue with the fire station being around the corner. They also, of course, don't have the free group exercise classes of the Sports Club.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: all
st regis..cant go wrong
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:25 am
SP0

This may well not be to your taste, but just to put a different point of view:

We used to like the Mandarin Oriental - the view from some of their rooms is fabulous. We tried various others, including the W (which we walked out of after one night) and the FS (dull).

Eventually we twigged that San Francisco is far lovelier if you get right out of the business and tourist districts. So we found the Hotel Drisco up in Pacific Heights. This neighbourhood is where many of the zillionaires live ... tranquil, mostly tourist-free. The sort of area where you might see kids selling lemonade from a stall in their front garden, and people walking dogs. Wonderful restaurants not too far away too,

Hotel Drisco is below the "luxury" standards of most chain hotels covered in this forum - it's more like an independent mid-priced European hotel - but we found the service to be kind, personal and thoughtful; the rooms are comfortable; and there are little touches like wine or tea in the lounge in the afternoons. We loved it and have been back for both business and personal trips.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by SP0
So we found the Hotel Drisco up in Pacific Heights. This neighbourhood is where many of the zillionaires live ... tranquil, mostly tourist-free. The sort of area where you might see kids selling lemonade from a stall in their front garden, and people walking dogs. Wonderful restaurants not too far away too,

Hotel Drisco is below the "luxury" standards of most chain hotels covered in this forum - it's more like an independent mid-priced European hotel - but we found the service to be kind, personal and thoughtful; the rooms are comfortable; and there are little touches like wine or tea in the lounge in the afternoons. We loved it and have been back for both business and personal trips.
My mother used to stay several times per year at the Drisco up until 2012 when she--or rather I, on her behalf--decided that it isn't worth upwards of $400 per night (tax included) for an entry-level room.

While it's true that service is indeed kind, personal and thoughtful, some of the rooms are tiny and all have old(er) radiator heating that makes enough noise when cycling off and on to wake one up.

Having said that, they do offer a car service to Union Square and the Financial District on weekday mornings (only during certain times), and I love the location as well, although be warned that if you want to walk to the close-by restaurants you'll need to walk up a very steep hill on the way back.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:45 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
They also, of course, don't have the free group exercise classes of the Sports Club.
Indoor pool and spa was OP's comment.... why the quality of LA sports club keeps coming up in thread i'm not sure. Rather have a pool for hotel guests and condo owners than health club's pool that hotel guests can access.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by ABG
Indoor pool and spa was OP's comment.... why the quality of LA sports club keeps coming up in thread i'm not sure. Rather have a pool for hotel guests and condo owners than health club's pool that hotel guests can access.
The gym of the Four Seasons, the Sports Club LA, is one of the best in the country. The group classes are excellent, free, and diverse. Their indoor pool was renovated not too long ago. The place is alive.

The St. Regis gym has good equipment but is small and always empty. The pool and spa, likewise, are always deserted. Based on the OP's request I think he'd far prefer the service and amenities of the Four Seasons (it usually costs a bit more but is worth it!)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:38 pm

One terrific hotel to consider, just outside of town, is the Inn at Cavallo Point (on the Marin side of the Golden Gate); it's a spectacular setting (but you do have to drive to get into town). It's in the middle of what was an old army base, and the rooms are the former officers' quarters. Unique and definitely different.

Agree on the St Regis for quality, but -- the high floor Mandarin rooms, with the big window bathrooms looking north northwest towards the golden gate are spectacular . . .
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
+1 for the Huntington.

Originally Posted by nba1017
Secondarily, though frankly my preferred place, is the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. The hotel has a world-class spa and pool area in addition to a really great old San Francisco restaurant and bar. Request the suite on the SE corner on the 11th floor for a separate soaking tub and shower.

Hope this helps!
+1... Had the pleasure of staying at The Huntington back in August. Lovely rooms and the restaurant was most enjoyable. Great location too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.