Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

San Francisco luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
To leave no stone unturned, it might well be right that Fairmont is not quite in the top tier, altho those grand public spaces come close, and IC also not quite altho solid 4 stars; but there is still the Taj Campton Place, would that not qualify and if not why not -- maybe there is some little thing missing but can't put my finger on what it might be...
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by time2go1st
but there is still the Taj Campton Place, would that not qualify and if not why not -- maybe there is some little thing missing but can't put my finger on what it might be...
Room dimensions are weird at Taj Campton Place - long and skinny, IIRC.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Room dimensions are weird at Taj Campton Place - long and skinny, IIRC.
I can well believe that some of the room dimensions are bizarre, especially the smaller standard ones -- something you expect in older buildings like this one, not always possible to work around that when the property is upgraded to contemporary needs. That said, the overall look of this one is very sleek and appealing, to me it still reads like top-level, altho perhaps in a more boutique way, as clearly much smaller than the other, newer SF contestants...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To leave no stone unturned, it might well be right that Fairmont is not quite in the top tier, altho those grand public spaces come close, and IC also not quite altho solid 4 stars; but there is still the Taj Campton Place, would that not qualify and if not why not -- maybe there is some little thing missing but can't put my finger on what it might be...
I stay at the IC by the convention centre sometimes- it is not a luxury hotel but it is certainly a great use of DL miles (in fact one of the few good value items left). You can then upgrade with cash to get lounge access and a nice junior suite or corner room.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 pm

Interesting, I was actually thinking of the Nob Hill IC, likely not what it was nowadays although still good; any personal thoughts on the Taj Travelsig?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:15 pm

Hi All,

My girlfriend (will become fiance on the trip) and I decided to go to san Francisco early november. From reading all the posts I was ready to book with the St Regis (and I have starwood points and amex spg). Then I looked at the Mandarin Oriental golden gate room. Are the views that much better than the st regis? Are they close to each other? We want to be near restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Does the Mandarin Oriental have some type of points program?

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by helpmefly
Hi All,

My girlfriend (will become fiance on the trip) and I decided to go to san Francisco early november. From reading all the posts I was ready to book with the St Regis (and I have starwood points and amex spg). Then I looked at the Mandarin Oriental golden gate room. Are the views that much better than the st regis? Are they close to each other? We want to be near restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Does the Mandarin Oriental have some type of points program?

Thanks
The Four Seasons is number one in my book... St Regis second even though St Regis has a better hard product... Mandarin Oriental (MO) third...

The MO location is not great...

Frankly, the St Regis service comes across as young and unpolished at times.. You know you are staying at a Starwood property...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blackbook
The Four Seasons is number one in my book... St Regis second even though St Regis has a better hard product...

Frankly, the St Regis service comes across as young and unpolished at times.. You know you are staying at a Starwood property...
Must confess I've never set foot in this place, and as SPG Gold it would be next on my list to try in SF -- assuming it had some reasonable deals or cashpluspoints offer, which it did not on the last trip; cost was double or more the other Starwood properties that weekend. However, looking now at their page, I'm asking myself, why bother; looks nice and sleek and very comfortable etc., but lacking in the one factor that spells luxe in my book worth shelling out a bit extra for: it seems to lack personality.

Not to put it down really, but can't see it as a genuine luxury offering more than the various other solid 4 star options in the city. If as others have said truly great options are few in San Francisco, why not just accept a 4 star property with a good deal, even an attractive 3 star, and save the bucks for another time and place where the extra money would seem worth spending. Or alternatively, spend for a full suite at another property, for the cost of a standard room at St.R. I know the place has plenty of fans here, just can't quite see the value of it; and if the service is indeed unpolished -- well just sayin...
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I was actually thinking of the Nob Hill IC, likely not what it was nowadays although still good; any personal thoughts on the Taj Travelsig?
The last time I stayed at the Nob Hill IC Clinton was visiting the hotel and had just been elected- and as I recall at the time it was recently renovated however with hit and miss service.

It has been some years since I stayed at the Campton Place which is now the Taj- it was OK but a little bit heavy on the "boutique" side of things for me and with real differences in rooms (some very small, some larger, etc)- it would be worth checking out again I think because I do believe it has been completely renovated?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:43 am

I have stayed at both ICs - both are good in different ways. I think I prefer the Mark Hopkins if you get a nice suite with a view.
The time before last when we were at the Howard Street IC Obama was staying just after he first came to power - shame because he got the Presidential Suite and not me
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I have stayed at both ICs - both are good in different ways. I think I prefer the Mark Hopkins if you get a nice suite with a view.
The time before last when we were at the Howard Street IC Obama was staying just after he first came to power - shame because he got the Presidential Suite and not me
I find the location of the new IC easier to get around the city from- however certainly on top of Nob Hill on the "right" day is incredibly scenic- even a corner suite in the tower of the Fairmont is worth it on the "right" day.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:07 am

Was only to SF once, in May. We stayed at the FS. The spa/gym was unbelievable if you're into that. My wife & I are pretty active used the classes 3-4 times they were first rate. Everything about the spa & gym were #1.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:06 am

Thanks for the comments on the IC's. To me a corner suite on an upper floor of the Mark Hopkins would seem like the epitome of indulgence with supreme location and ambiance. And yes I do believe the Taj was renovated not long ago, it certainly seems very sleek today; would love to know, is there some recent experience there? For my money, both would seem near the top of the choices -- with FS in there too for sure, especially if the fitness facilities are high priority.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by helpmefly
Hi All,

Thanks
MOSF ( or any MO ) does not do points but they do,upgrades.
When you book , do tell them about the occasion & they will make it an extra special memorable stay
The views are phenomenal , not sure if the ' City Lights ' display on the Bay Bridge is still on , very interesting viewing .
Have posted somewhere else on shopping within walking distance.
Besides there is a complimentary house car for you to book at certain times
Have used it for that as well as to restaurants which are further away. Have actually also for those within walking distance like 2 blocks away.
Very helpful concierge team.

I don't stay at St Regis though have seen some rooms where others have but don't recall the SF one , sorry.

Have a lovely time!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot imagine how anyone can regard the location of the Mark Hopkins as particularly good. You will be walking up steep hills to get back there from most any SF tourist sight, or be taking a LOT of taxis. Yes you can ride the California Street cable car; the Powell cars are often going to be full. And although I haven't stayed at the Mark, I've eaten there and it certainly did not strike me that the restaurants were characteristic of a luxury hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.