Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel in Buenos Aires-Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by lautaro
PH! with a Virtuoso or Prive rate.

The trick is... the real cost to you would be 50% of the rate you see online.

Per law the hotel has to charge you in Argentinian Pesos. The "oficial" rate is ~112 ARS per USD. If you pay in USD cash or with US credit card that is the rate for the exchange. But there is a parallel "illegal" market which reflects the actual value of ARS, it's called "dolar blue", you can go to Florida street or many other places and get up to 220 ARS per USD. The current exchange rates can be found at dolarhoy .com
This applies to everything in argentina, never give dollars at a rate less than 200 ARS per USD.

As a plus, visitors do not pay IVA (Tax) on hotels stays, so you are are saving 21% extra.
Wow thank you, this is phenomenally helpful! The strategy to book a non-pay in advance rate and pay with ARS is great to know. I was already planning to splurge for the PH with points (I even got an off peak night at 21k), but this changes the calculus and maybe makes paying a rate more worthwhile. Will have to re-assess.

For the IVA Tax - Do you pay this at the hotel and get it refunded on emigration, or is it waived at the hotel's point of payment? Hyatt.com doesn't break out taxes, it only shows a total USD price.

Thanks again, super helpful insight.

--
Edit to Add: re IVA tax - i was searching around looking for a tax breakout and booking.com says:

"21% VAT is applicable. Foreigners who pay with a foreign credit or debit card or by bank transfer must present a foreign ID and/or supporting documents from the national migration authority in order to be exempt."

Now, I know this is unlikely to be reliable, my question is do you still get the 21% exemption if paying in ARS cash...?

Last edited by Surgee; Feb 18, 2022 at 7:47 am
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Originally Posted by Surgee
"21% VAT is applicable. Foreigners who pay with a foreign credit or debit card or by bank transfer must present a foreign ID and/or supporting documents from the national migration authority in order to be exempt."
OH, I didn't know about that part. I guess you can't double-dip, you pay in ARS with tax, or you pay in USD tax free. The official BA government website says the same thing (https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/e...-accommodation). It also mentions that the tax refund is done at the hotel.

The rate PH BA shows is without taxes.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I don't like the location of the luxury hotels. The Recoleta area is a total bore (which is a big thing to say re BA). Palermo Soho is fabulous - I could have stayed there for weeks and weeks. There are some cute boutique hotels that look fine. We stayed at a members club.
I think Recoleta has its charms but I'm not sure I'd want to spend more than a day or two there, does feel a bit too manicured. Besides Palermo I'd also recommend the San Telmo area for something with a bit more character but still plenty of good places to eat/sleep, lots of little market areas/courtyards to discover plus the docklands not too far away for something a bit more relaxing.

I spose depends a bit what your after? I tend to stop off in BA on the way down to Patagonia for don't mind a bit of bustle.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:15 pm

I am surprised by the comment about the FS as were stay in the club level room and it was amazing found the Mansion area stuffy.
The pool is wonderful and area is easy to walk places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.