Four Seasons Maui - Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.

I planned to share this sooner, but couldn’t get it together as quickly as I wanted. Since there haven’t been any recent Four Seasons Maui updates, hopefully this is better slightly late than never.

We have been big fans of Four Seasons Maui since our first stay in 2008, we have been back several times over the years, and we were there again recently for a vacation over Thanksgiving week (which was also their re-opening week). Everything was fantastic and FS Maui is still one of our favorites in Hawaii. Here are some of the reasons why we love it and keep returning:

- Wailea Beach is beautiful and it's great for swimming, snorkeling, paddleboarding, and beach walks.

- There are lots of dining choices with three excellent restaurants on-property (Spago, Duo, Ferraro’s) plus the Lobby Lounge (love this for sushi, cocktails & live music), plus the Beach Walk Cafe, and there are lots of other restaurants and shopping that are within a few minutes of the resort.

- Three great pools. The adults only Serenity Pool has a swim up bar, and big views from the infinity edge. The Waterfall Pool has a small waterslide and a very shallow section for toddlers, and the main Fountain Pool that has lots of shade available around it.

- The rooms and suites are spacious and comfortable, and all have nicely furnished lanais.

- There are lots of complimentary cabanas around the Fountain and Waterfall pools, and we also love the ocean views from the sanctuaries that are tucked into the hillside above the beach.

- FS Maui has a fantastic game room with ping pong, pool tables, shuffleboard, foosball, video game systems, and several TVs. My son has met kids here on previous vacations that he still keeps in touch with.

Here are some of our photos from around the resort...
Attached Images           
obscure2k, nnn, callmedtop and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:26 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Thanks for the trip report. We are also fans of the hotel and will be back in a few months.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Excellent review Kristen. We considered this property for our summer vacation. However, we eventually opted for the Mauna Lani (thanks for your well written review that you posted a few weeks ago). It was hard to pass up the double Virtuoso offers that were still valid for our June dates.

I'm curious for our plans further in the future, is the FS Maui the kind of resort where you need to wake up early morning to claim a couple of chairs by the pool during school holidays? I seem to recall reading here on Flyertalk that there are families that send their nanny to reserve pool chairs at sunrise.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:51 am

FS Maui is definitely the kind of resort where you must wake up at dawn to secure pool chairs. The resort is very large (380 accommodations which means walking miles to reach your room) and too crowded so do not expect proactive and attentive service. We disliked it so much that we spent most of our time sightseeing - very happy we did as we found Maui fascinating. One of the worst Four Seasons in my book.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Revolution; Mar 15, 2021 at 6:52 am Reason: spelling mistake
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by francophile
Excellent review Kristen. We considered this property for our summer vacation. However, we eventually opted for the Mauna Lani (thanks for your well written review that you posted a few weeks ago). It was hard to pass up the double Virtuoso offers that were still valid for our June dates.

I'm curious for our plans further in the future, is the FS Maui the kind of resort where you need to wake up early morning to claim a couple of chairs by the pool during school holidays? I seem to recall reading here on Flyertalk that there are families that send their nanny to reserve pool chairs at sunrise.
Thank you and hope you have a great time at Mauna Lani

Hard to say exactly what some guests' strategies might be at any given time, but when occupancy is high the prime seats don’t seem to last too long at most resorts these days. The good news is that FS Maui has 81 complimentary cabanas, which is a lot more than most resorts. We also love the beach and have no problem heading there for shaded seats if we don’t see a pool spot that catches our eye.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The beach seats are an almost secret aspect of this resort. They provide great service and care on the beach, and you have the best seats in the house.

The valet service is incredible, turning a usually unpleasant experience into a luxury event. You are not just given water upon your departure, you are likely given snacks as a treat and truly prompt service with people hurrying over to assist you with anything you need.

This is a "people" resort. By this I mean that when you stay here you are likely to meet other friendly couples or families. Its not a place where most people go to be alone and away from it all.

The island is incredible and you will want to go and explore all it has to offer but coming home at the end of the day to the Four Seasons is something we look forward to.

Experiences not to miss: The complimentary outrigger experience in the mornings. During whale season you will definitely get up and close and personal with the whales. The rest of the year you will likely see sea turtles and perhaps dolphins. Its always an awe inspiring experience.

They have complimentary snorkels and fins to take out right off the beach. Its incredibly beautiful with a plethora of colorful fish and sea turtles. When we go, I go every morning. I recommend you go in the morning because after around 12 pm the winds and waves pick up.

This is a large hotel but they have a large team of dedicated luxury service professionals who really care about helping you create family memories and giving you the time to relax and fully unwind. We cannot wait to return.
KristenNix likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:17 pm

We spent 6 days in June and as much as I love this place we will not return after two other holidays here.
This time they nickeled and dined everything, cabanas if they even sneak a peak at ocean you are charged for it.
The kids were out of control this time and no one stopped it.
The adult only pool was reserved from 7 AM everyday even when there the minute the gate opened we were told all reserved.
Much preferred our few days at Hotel Wailea adults only and I taught nursery school so I love children but like to relax on holiday.
The rooms are great with kitchenettes and free water drinks and snacks.
Food outstanding.
They drive you anytime to and from beach where attendants are waiting with water and lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.