Wiki Posts
Search

Amanpulo and Bopha

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Oh dear , was hoping to be there next week too.
Outer bands though ..
Will email TT for an update

As a precaution, guests ( & others ) will be evacuated from Thurs .. In prep for Fri
This is not looking good. What is Amanpulo saying? This model <Haiyan GFS Model> is predicting a near direct hit on Friday morning at category 5.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:01 pm

I always find their silence on things like this strange. They have a website that they could use to give updates. I guess they don't want to discourage future or current bookings. If you want up to date information it seems like Twitter is the way to go.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:22 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Forecasters calling this one of the largest typhoons ever. 200-235 mph winds. Looks like our son's orphanage is in the path as well. God bless the people of the Philippines.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Haiyan ( Yolanda )

Originally Posted by zigzag
I always find their silence on things like this strange. They have a website that they could use to give updates. I guess they don't want to discourage future or current bookings. If you want up to date information it seems like Twitter is the way to go.

All of Philippines is affected!
It is in the news .. as I posted , the GM & team was very busy evacuating guests & others yesterday ( Thursday ). Obviously, all are 100% prepping for Haiyan ( Yolanda ).
Emailing / calling guests too.

Praying for all affected is best ( especially if we can't help otherwise )

Amano'i wasn't affected by the past few , hope same for this one as it moves across the South China Sea.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Uggh ...

Looks like a near direct hit: Haiyan Pamalican. It would have to turn dramatically south to affect Amanoi.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Looks like a near direct hit: Haiyan Pamalican. It would have to turn dramatically south to affect Amanoi.
Yikes, this is terrible. If their communications are knocked out, it could be some time before we get an update. FlyerEC, any luck reaching TT?

Perhaps Aman central reservations or Sean will have more information sooner..
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://news.pia.gov.ph/index.php?article=1551383907773
"Communities are now cooperating, whenever LGUs ask them to evacuate, they immediately follow...We have our own responders there. They were fully prepared even before the typhoon landed...Prior to typhoon Yolanda’s landfall, there have been massive evacuation activities and classes were already suspended"

credited the [http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/] for its timely and accurate reports which led to the successful preparation of [http://www.ndrrmc.gov.ph/] and its responders in the grassroots
amanpulo has a weather station >
http://weather.com.ph/view/980001

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Yikes, this is terrible. If their communications are knocked out, it could be some time before we get an update. FlyerEC, any luck reaching TT?

Perhaps Aman central reservations or Sean will have more information sooner..
TT said he'll update me again after .. Last typhoon , the connections were out for a few days though.. Then intermittent for weeks ( as Ericka mentions below , some of my emails to Pulo were lost ).
Please keep the prayers going , our friends will appreciate it
May check with Sean later their morning.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 8, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reason: Add info
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
Forecasters calling this one of the largest typhoons ever. 200-235 mph winds. Looks like our son's orphanage is in the path as well. God bless the people of the Philippines.
I do hope the orphanage and all the Filipinos have survived this powerful typhoon.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
TT said he'll update me again after .. Last typhoon , the connections were out for a few days though.
A few weeks actually. Internet services (wireless especially) to the island would come back only to go down again. It was still a problem when we were there.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I do hope the orphanage and all the Filipinos have survived this powerful typhoon.
Thank you. Our son's orphanage is blessed with good construction and a generator. This isn't the case for the many Filipinos living in poverty. So sad.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Please let us all know. I just read that storm surges of up to 5m (18.5 ft) above normal high tide were expected for Pamalican Island.

If anybody knows of a local charity that will contribute to the rebuilding of the local islands, please post it here.

I can't help but feel this will be very very difficult for Manamoc (where many of the staff come from).
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

Waiting to hear from TT ( he has said communications will be disrupted & that was just before Haiyan / Yolanda ), SF & / or other Aman family.

Am sure they will appreciate any help especially financially & supplies for the families of staff .
Keep praying for strength/ fortitude , perseverance .. During the weeks , months to come

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
I just read that storm surges of up to 5m (18.5 ft) above normal high tide were expected for Pamalican Island.

If anybody knows of a local charity that will contribute to the rebuilding of the local islands, please post it here.
http://weather.com.ph/announcements/...ate-number-013

INNER RAINBANDS - where Tropical Storm Conditions with Tropical Storm Force Winds (63-100 kph) will be expected. Affected Areas: Western Panay, Pamalican and Cuyo Islands.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING - possible >18 ft (>5.5 m) above normal tide levels...accompanied by large and dangerous battering waves can be expected along the coastal, inland lakes and beach front areas of Calamian Group of Islands, Pamalican Island, Cuyo Island and Southern Mindoro tonight. Catastrophic damage is likely on this type of storm surge.
area is not small, numbers are maximums, location was inner rainband not eyewall.
not sure what kind of difference this might make.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:22 pm

Haiyan / Yolanda Update

Reply from Claudia S ( Kila )

" we have all just received the information Tapa and the team are fine and Amanpulo weathered the storm well under the circumstances. "

What a relief ..
Likely will post again when TT updates me.

Do keep the prayers going for the whole region including Vietnam , Amano'i ( even though now not on track ) team & families.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 9, 2013 at 2:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.