FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Amanpulo and Bopha (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1413476-amanpulo-bopha.html)

mike_la_jolla Dec 3, 2012 10:35 am

Amanpulo and Bopha

This isn't looking good: Pulo in the path of Bopha

Musken Dec 3, 2012 12:21 pm

Oh. My prayers to the people at Amanpulo and the nearby island, which is home to many of the wonderful staff.

FlyerEC Dec 3, 2012 2:46 pm

Oh my, looks like outer fringes if on current track !
Pray Pamalican , Manomoc & other islands will be somewhat spared ..

The bale on the southern tip was blown away few weeks ago :(

FlyerEC Dec 4, 2012 5:08 am

They are now expecting landfall around 5 am :(. At least it'll be about light then.
As far as I know, no guests are on the island.
Hope everyone , structures , reefs & fauna will be ok.

ridefar Dec 4, 2012 6:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 19792921)
They are now expecting landfall around 5 am :(. At least it'll be about light then.
As far as I know, no guests are on the island.
Hope everyone , structures , reefs & fauna will be ok.

My thoughts are with all the staff and locals for sure.

Did the resort evacuate the guests? Seems unusual that there would be no occupancy at this time of year...

Ericka Dec 4, 2012 8:35 am

Prayers to our Amanpulo family and all the surrounding islands. I'm sure they're doing everything they can to prepare.

lb8001 Dec 4, 2012 1:25 pm

I was going to ask you all what you'd heard so appreciate seeing this thread. I will hope all the lovely people there (and creatures) come through all right.

mike_la_jolla Dec 5, 2012 12:12 am

Update -- Bad. Very Bad.

It is looking like a nearly direct hit at Category 2: Bopha Phillipines

Turned south a bit ....

No, maybe not so bad ... it turned very south: Update Looks the it missed a direct hit by about 50 miles.

aa213bb Dec 5, 2012 4:27 am

Here's the NYTimes article. Thoughts and prayers for everyone there.

Typhoon Bopha packed winds of up to 100 miles per hour when it struck Tuesday, bringing torrential rains that flattened entire villages, leaving thousands homeless, as well as washing out roads and bridges needed by rescue personnel trying to reach stricken regions.

A national disaster official, Benito Ramos, said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon that 274 deaths had been confirmed, with 339 people known to be injured and 279 missing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/wo...?ref=asia&_r=0

FlyerEC Dec 5, 2012 5:23 am

All's well at Amanpulo , guests were evacuated & along with some others .
Bopha went south - thanks all for your prayers. So region was spared brunt of ' Pablo ', it was lots of rain & high winds.
Flights resume tomorrow :)

ridefar Dec 5, 2012 6:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 19799482)
Bopha went south - thanks all for your prayers. So region was spared brunt of ' Pablo ', it was lots of rain & high winds.

Thanks for the update FlyerEC. Very good to hear that everybody seems to be safe. I am very happy to hear Manamoc and the locals likely werent hit too hard.

BPA Dec 5, 2012 11:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 19799482)

Great relief after holding my breath for the last few days. Thanks for the update. I have reservations for February.

FlyerEC Dec 5, 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 19799725)
Thanks for the update FlyerEC. Very good to hear that everybody seems to be safe. I am very happy to hear Manamoc and the locals likely werent hit too hard.

Originally Posted by BPA (Post 19801364)
Great relief after holding my breath for the last few days. Thanks for the update. I have reservations for February.

You're welcome , was sure that there are a number of us who are rather concerned.
Many of us whose hearts are there & just waiting to return;)

We are all thankful & relieved

mike_la_jolla Nov 5, 2013 3:54 pm

Here we go again ...

Haiyan. This one is a monster. Present track sends it safely to the north of Amanpulo, but not by much. I think ...

FlyerEC Nov 5, 2013 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 21734009)
Haiyan. This one is a monster. Present track sends it safely to the north of Amanpulo, but not by much. I think ...

Oh dear , was hoping to be there next week too.
Outer bands though ..
Will email TT for an update

As a precaution, guests ( & others ) will be evacuated from Thurs .. In prep for Fri