Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman (or what's the sanskrit for noisy nightclub?) Sveti Stefan

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
There are seriously people who can't sleep because of mild noise from a party further on up the coast?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:51 pm

Well, yes.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:10 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by AnnaBeth
Well, yes.
And rightly so when paying a stiff EUR 1268 net (USD 1622 ) for a deluxe seaview terrace cottage like the OP staid in.

Such a place has to be perfectly quiet or double glazed soundproofed rooms .
Old May 22, 2012, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Problem resolved for us

An update and thank you for the sympathetic responses and for the welcomes to FT.

We talked to Kevin yesterday (we would not have disturbed him late at night over this) and it seems that the severity of the noise and length of the disturbance genuinely took them by surprise even though it happened once last summer, but he readily admitted that the sound was carrying especially badly across the water to our cottage located high up so that there were no buildings in between, and that they ought to have reacted more effectively to the situation. There were indeed things they could have done, not least communicating with guests better, but he said all the right things in terms of recognising their shortcomings. I will say that, once we raised the issue with Kevin, his response was spot on. The noise from a third party continued into the evening yesterday, so he sought us out at the lovely tea service, introduced us to the night duty manager and gave us the choice to move to another room of the same category on the sheltered east side of the island either then or later if we would prefer to see how the situation developed. To his credit, he showed us to and around the room personally and arranged for tea to be brought to our new (quiet) terrace, personally taking our requests. He made no offer of compensation, but what we were looking for was an understanding of the problem and a solution and this was forthcoming, so we were pleased with Kevin's handling of our complaint. We were told that other guests were also unhappy, but do not know what happened in their situations.

The rain has now brought an end to the beach parties. I'll gladly post more once we return to London about what was said about the possibility of more disruptive parties later in the summer, similar concerns at Amanruya and more details on the two rooms we have stayed in and the island.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Does anyone know if the noise/party is a constant issue at Aman Sveti Stefan in the summer?
I don't think so. In Budva there are loud outdoor bars and clubs most night in the summer but we couldn't hear them at Sveti Stefan. The festival must have been nearer.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:17 am

Oh please, let's not get hysterical about Aman's ability to operate in this region. Compared to anyone else, they are miraculous.

Aman Sveti Stefan has to coexist with others along that coastline and they cannot control or predict what those 'others' do. I never experienced anything like this at Sveti Stefan, so it is not a constant threat during the summer months - it is a one-off - rather like your neighbours having a birthday party one night and keeping you up until 2am. It happens.

As for Amanruya, there is NO WAY this is a threat as Amanruya is totally isolated. It is nowhere near the town or, indeed, anything else.

I am also getting tired of people saying that Aman cannot offer high levels of service outside of Asia. What about Amangiri in Utah? For me, I had some of the best service anywhere, ever. I even think that it was, in some parts, better than the Amans in Bali. I also felt that Amanruya offered incredible service levels, and not just for Turkey.

Please try them out before you judge.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Thank you for the heads up. We are visiting both Aman Sveti Stefan and Amanruya in July, and noise would definately put a damper on things as we are very light sleepers! Anxious to hear about the rooms, rest of your trip, and details on when this will be a problem and how to resolve in both places! Glad GM was on it!
Old May 22, 2012, 9:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Was there two weeks in July last year. Never heard any noice. Cannot imagine you heard noice from Budva which is far away, must be closer and a special celebration or festival of some kind.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by valextraofstyle
we would not have disturbed him late at night over this)
why didnt you move earlier?
dont know when GM went off duty, but hes not the only one capable

severity of the noise and length of the disturbance genuinely took them by surprise even though it happened once last summer

noise...continued into the evening yesterday

other guests were also unhappy

rain has now brought an end to the beach parties

possibility of more disruptive parties later in the summer, similar concerns at Amanruya
i guess we know to ask now, but any details would still be useful and appreciated

slightly down the coast

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 2:12 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
As for Amanruya, there is NO WAY this is a threat as Amanruya is totally isolated. It is nowhere near the town or, indeed, anything else.
I hope you are correct as I will be there in less than a week and will be very irate if the surrounding area turns out to be 'party central'.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I am also getting tired of people saying that Aman cannot offer high levels of service outside of Asia. What about Amangiri in Utah? For me, I had some of the best service anywhere, ever. I even think that it was, in some parts, better than the Amans in Bali.
Cannot agree with you more ^^
Old May 23, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

An absolutely terrible end to our stay

I am sorry to those of you who are planning to visit soon, but our final experiences at Aman Sveti Stefan only got worse. I cannot fault the housekeeping, grounds or waitstaff, but guest services is appalling and the responsibility ultimately falls upon hotel management. I am sorry to those of you with close ties to the chain who wish to defend it, but our first Aman experience will be our last. I cannot speak as to whether the service issue is a geographical one for Aman (thankfully we haven't wasted any more money on stays in their hotels), but I can say with certainty that there are far superior hotels in Europe and for that matter in the US. Our departure was a shambles and no amount of smiles and handshaking or extra bread can change that. Personally, we suspect that this is not a Europe-based issue, but a management-structure issue that ultimately fits with a (post)colonialist worldview.

We will be taking this up directly with Aman Head Office and feel it would not give Aman a fair-hearing to post the full extent of our problems unless we can also indicate their response. But I can warn those of you due to travel in the near future to insist on transparency with all practical arrangements and billing, and, in particular, not to wire money in advance to them. Also, do not rely on the hotel to recommend a suitable departure time for airport transfers; look into this yourself and stand your ground on the time you would like to leave: for Dubrovnik, you'll need to allow 3 hours (as their own website advises!).
Old May 23, 2012, 10:52 am

I, for one, would appreciate more detail -- as it stands you've posted a negative - though non-detailed - review already, and it's easy enough to post further updates to this thread as needed.

At least by informing us of what, particularly, went wrong, you allow us to judge for ourselves the degree of hesitation we should consider before booking -- especially those who have loads of Aman experiences.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Come on!

Even if Aman management does not have a sense of decency, I do. I think readers will pick up on the inference of my post, but appreciate that some discretion is required given the severity of the issue. It goes to the heart of being a reputable organisation, and for that reason I shall not be drawn to make further comments until someone competent and senior at Aman has had a chance to investigate the matter. At this point, I think it wise to urge caution. The review going over the noise complaint is amply detailed and I have already indicated that I will post more specifics on room numbers, location of parties and discussion about future issues. I shall reiterate that the disturbance was severe over a large part of the island and it is far from clear that parties closer to the resort will remain isolated incidents, although "constant" would seem unlikely.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot fault the housekeeping, grounds or waitstaff
this might clarify a "question" in my first reply

our first Aman experience will be our last

management-structure issue that ultimately fits with a (post)colonialist worldview
more overgeneralizations

there are far superior hotels in Europe and for that matter in the US
uninformative without examples, which would also provide frame of reference

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.