Reload this Page >

Trip report Philippines: One night Peninsula Manila and 12 nights Amanpulo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report Philippines: One night Peninsula Manila and 12 nights Amanpulo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:27 am

Very concise and accurate review of Amanpulo, Musken, and really good photos! You should be working for a travel magazine!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Very concise and accurate review of Amanpulo, Musken, and really good photos! You should be working for a travel magazine!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
yoga and pilates - classes? free?
I think there were complimentary yoga classes early morning. Otherwise personal or group classes for an additional charge dependent on number of participants.

I did not try, was just too lazy or too busy enjoying.

Originally Posted by Ericka
Do you think they all have that "carved out view" from the decks? I wonder if some views are better than others?
No, not all have that carved out view, some casitas are completely hidden in the vegetation, you should make sure to ask for it if it is important for you. Our casita was number 20, and it had a very nice view which I had not expected. I loved it! Others might want (even) more privacy (obviously it is theoretically possible that someone walking by sees your terrasse if you have a view, but really it is just theoretically since the few people that walk by walk down where the water edge is where nothing can be seen anyway).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Thanks for sharing the report. It sounds quite compelling.

Do you have any pictures of your room that you can share by chance?

I wonder where they go on holiday?
Kage has already kindly linked to my pictures.

I know where the GMs went on holiday, but maybe should not share everthing I hear. Instead I can tell you that one GM that I met at another tropical resort told me that he always went on holidays to places with absolutely no palm trees.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would do a casita compilation, but vegetation changes
i find it interesting which resorts do which (for beachfront)
yara - completely private
parrot cay - only 1 (full size) seems not "completely" private
and maldives vary, etc
although sometimes elevation is used, i guess at pulo villas arent quite high enough

Originally Posted by Musken
I think there were complimentary yoga classes early morning.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Musken ... thanks for your excellent trip report and additional comments and perceptions. Like you, I very much enjoyed Amanpulo and can't say enough about the service, beaches, etc..

I was recently also reviewing your Amanpuri / Trisara review thread and was curious what your take is on Amanpuri vs pulo? Obviously totally different in terms of venues, but from the perspective of the accommodations, food, service, beach, etc... if you have some time and wouldn't mind writing up your thoughts, we'd love to hear it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ainternational
Musken ... thanks for your excellent trip report and additional comments and perceptions. Like you, I very much enjoyed Amanpulo and can't say enough about the service, beaches, etc..

I was recently also reviewing your Amanpuri / Trisara review thread and was curious what your take is on Amanpuri vs pulo? Obviously totally different in terms of venues, but from the perspective of the accommodations, food, service, beach, etc... if you have some time and wouldn't mind writing up your thoughts, we'd love to hear it.
Thanks. No problem for me to write a comparison, I actually really enjoy to do such things, it is often something we talk about as well during and after holidays.

Amanpuri vs. Amanpulo

First of all; I have only visited each of them once, three nights at Amanpuri (March 2011), 12 nights Amanpulo (March 2012), so everything is very subjective of course.

Secondly I love both of them, but they are really very different. A little comparison below:

Overall
Overall I think that the main difference between the two is the ambience and atmosphere. Amanpulo is very warm and friendly, very laid back, private and informal while I found Amanpuri to be a bit "colder" and more formal. Amanpuri is also more of see and be seen kind of place. While we never felt to be really appreciated as guests when arriving at Amanpuri - we felt like returning back home when we came to Amanpulo, reflected in how we were treated by everyone from the personnel at restaurants to the top management.

Service
Service was really excellent both places, nothing was difficult, nothing went wrong, they read our needs, but the warmth and friendlyness of the Amanpulo people made the service experience even more pleasant there. I also felt that the remembering of our preferences was better at Amanpulo and that the staff was better at sharing information about us between themselves in order to service us even better. Finally I felt that senior management and GMs were very invisible at Amanpuri compared to Amanpulo, at Amanpuri the GM did not respond to mail, also we never met him, while at Amanpulo all senior management incl. GM spend lots of time taking care of us before and during our stay.

Accommodation and design
No doubt the overall design is more special and memorable at Amanpuri. The design at Amanpulo is very natural and fitting with the beautiful island but the Amanpuri design is more monumental, more an experience in itself. For accommodation (and here I can only compare Casita at Amanpulo to Pavilion at Amanpuri since I did not have the pleasure of staying in a villa at Amanpuri), I loved the bathroom at Amanpuri (mainly for design reasons) but prefer the bedrooms at Amanpulo as I feel that they were more spacious and lighter. Amanpulo offers full privacy, but at Amanpuri this depends at the location of the pavilion. The outside areas are both nice, I love the sala for in room dining at Amanpuri but also loved the outside daybeds at Amanpulo. Amanpulo has coffee making facilities in room which I love. Amanpuri has better in room cookies. :-D

Food
I found the food at Amanpuri to be slightly better than the food at Amanpulo and I really loved the Japanese restaurant at puri. On the other hand, I felt that there was more variation offered at Amanpulo, in particular the spanish restaurant was a great option for non-Asian food and the private dinners were just wonderful.

Beach
Both beaches are among my favorites, but Amanpulo wins. Sand quality, colours and of course that you really feel that you have a beach for yourself, makes it the best. However, if you like to see people, like to be at a place that offers full beach service, Amanpuri is the best.

Spa/gym
Nothing beats Amanpuri for gym, I have never seen a better gym in any luxury hotel. Also the spa at Amanpuri is world class, but Amanpulo is not far behind.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would almost totally agree with everything Musken says. I've stayed once at Pulo and maybe a half dozen times at Puri. Just a few comments.

1. The overall design and ambiance of Puri especially from the main pool area is one of the most beautiful and tranquil man made settings anywhere on the planet.

2. The natural setting is more beautiful at Pulo.

3. As Musken says food is a little better at Puri. If you like Thai food, Puri has some incredible dishes.

4. Spa - I think the therapists at Puri are better.

5. I like the villas better at Puri for the most part, but the Garden villas there lack privacy and feel a little crowded. I've opted for Trisara when the only thing available was a Garden Villa at Puri. The pool villas are Trisara are really, really nice.

6. Ditto on the beaches. Note that the ocean at Puri is a little rough in the off season.

7. Service - ditto except Sandra (AGM?) at Puri is very good and very attentive.

They are both really incredible places. I would be hard pressed to pick just one so I'm thinking of going back to both in April and May.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:25 am

Musken that is a lovely report and I am so pleased you had a great time. Amanpulo is exquisite although I feel that it is a little bit cramped now with the villas (especially the second phase ones).

I must confess that I prefer Amanpulo under the previous GM! Nick and Chris are doing a great job though with the villa management.

As for the pool it is my favourite. Old fashioned proper pools rather than the fancy overflow modern ones. Think of the pool at Amangalla - so classy and beautiful.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Musken and 5khours ... thanks to both of you for your comments. I really appreciate it. I had a wonderful stay at pulo last year, albeit short, and will finally be visiting puri next week. Through David O, the puri GM has been very responsive and accommodating. Nick at pulo was also fantastic, and I must agree that the service there and natural setting are amazing.

Those beaches are truly something to behold at pulo. My companion and I had a sunrise champagne breakfast at the northern tip of the island which was absolutely, unbelievably spectacular. Due to jet lag, it was no problem timing wise either. Although after that champagne, I certainly needed a nap!

Thanks again for your helpful comments.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when returning to MNL from pulo >
x if pulo lounge is ever available, for how long / until when

x anyone happened to hear about raffles/fairmont manila schedule
i presume no decent small properties.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm
Old May 16, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
(questions for anyone)

when returning to MNL from pulo >
if pulo lounge is ever available, for how long / until when?
where at the airport do you come out if leaving airport?

anyone happened to hear about raffles/fairmont manila schedule?
i presume no decent small properties.
Pulo airport lounge in MNL is available for as long as you want to stay when returning to MNL, and I would recommend staying as long as possible since the lounge at MNL is a total dump.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Pulo airport lounge in MNL is available for as long as you want to stay when returning to MNL, and I would recommend staying as long as possible since the lounge at MNL is a total dump.
Agree. Another alternative is to have Aman take you on a tour of Manila, recommend restaurants/activities/etc. Anything to minimize time in MNL is a good idea.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kurl
have Aman take you on a tour of Manila
interesting - aman driver/guide? (also re drive to lounge and lounge staff)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Old May 16, 2012, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think a helicopter to the Pen from MNL is unnecessary. Get a nice car, typical ride time is on the order of 20 minutes, even in Manila traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.