Shanghai - Best luxury hotel with good nightlife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.

will be in Shanghai next September on a business trip with some other guys from all over Europe > We want to stay somewhere we can walk after a long day at an expo to bars and nightlife > I have not been to Shanghai for about 4/5 years - prevously stayed at Grand Hyatt + Shangri La ( not a lot to do at night in this area) and last time the Portman R/c which was a good laugh (remember a great American bar with lice rock bands at night) but I would imagine things have changed - Any info guys would be great before we book - suggest any 5* hotels ?

Cheers
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Peninsula Shanghai is the single nicest hotel in Shanghai - great room product. The hotel is located right on the Bund, so there will be places you can walk to.

If you need to stay in the Pudong area, my choice would be the Ritz-Carlton Pudong.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I've long settled on the Pen in Shanghai, but the nightlife is not at the hotel. Last time I was there, I was the only person in both bars. There might be some activity in that area, but I need to rely on others to point you the way. Note that ANYTHING that requires walking in Shanghai is a tedious affair, rife with a never ending stream of scum trying to sell you fake Rolex watches.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porsche911
will be in Shanghai next September on a business trip with some other guys from all over Europe > We want to stay somewhere we can walk after a long day at an expo to bars and nightlife > I have not been to Shanghai for about 4/5 years - prevously stayed at Grand Hyatt + Shangri La ( not a lot to do at night in this area) and last time the Portman R/c which was a good laugh (remember a great American bar with lice rock bands at night) but I would imagine things have changed - Any info guys would be great before we book - suggest any 5* hotels ?

Cheers
Fairmont Peace Hotel as across the street are a number of places- start out at Bar Rouge and go from there (a lot of places nearby- Bar Rouge is usually very busy and there are also all the locations around 3 on the bund etc).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another vote for Fairmont Peace Hotel. I stayed there a year ago and was impressed by the detailed restoration they have done to this classic luxury hotel.

As the hotel is right on the Bund you will have all the Bund restaurants and bars within walking distance (great Pudong view). I went to M on the Bund for coctail and dinner. Wonderful view from the restaurant and Glamour bar.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:03 pm

Staying at the Puding Shangri-La for 1 night in May. I have not been to Shanghai before, but was sold on this property long ago. SL hotels are usually quite old now (at least in Asia) but the Shanghai one ticks all the right boxes for me. Looking forward to it, albeit such a short stay.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porsche911

Cheers
There is no nightlife worthy of mention in Lujiazui, and the Bund isn't all that cool either*. If you tell us where you need to be for work, we will be able to provide more intelligent suggestions.

*This is a matter of personal opinion; Mint, Rouge, Vault, etc grow old pretty quickly.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I can recommend the RC Pudong. Absolutely phenomenal property with wonderful club staff. Flair on the 58th floor was a good scene when we were there in December although I do agree there isn't much directly outside the hotel.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:10 am

I think the Bund is a good area for rooftop bars with great views of Pudong. Quite a few rooftop bars along the Bund, then Mint and Bar Rouge, etc. You'd have to know where they are because there isn't really any or any good signage from the street if you were just walking around. If you go to some of those bars/clubs on a weekend it would be best to make a reservation/book a table (at a price--sometimes) I liked M on the Bund's Glamour Bar, but they don't have an outdoor patio attached to the bar, but its a cool place to hang out and they have good drinks (I liked their Shanghai Mule). You could also go upstairs to M on the Bund the Restaurant and eat there and hang out on the patio. Seeing as you're going in Sept. I think you should try and take advantage of the outdoors/outdoor bars.

There isn't a like "Bar Street" or "Bar Area" in Shanghai, but I'd recommend going over to Xintiandi, or Sinan Mansions, in addition to the rooftop places on the Bund. I really enjoyed The Alchemist at Sinan, also Bobcat Brewery is always fun, with good western/American food, and a surprisingly good cheesecake. They have good beer too. Puxi is more of the expat area, so maybe you'd like to look for a hotel/things to do there. If you wanted to go a little more divey, "I <3 Shanghai" is a cool divey bar, but still sligthly overpriced for a divey bar. But it's fun, and they have good deals.

I definitely recommend Morton's Happy Hour: http://thehoghiehub.com/2011/11/25/b...-town-mortons/

For around $5USD, you get a martini (usually very dry) and unlimited free filet steak sandwiches. I'm not sure if the deal is still running though...they were in October...

When I was in SH last time in October, I stayed at the Park Hyatt. Great hotel, I really enjoyed my stay there. Great views, especially on a clear day. I had no problem with location, it's not that long of a taxi ride from Puxi or the Bund. The Park Hyatt also has a club on the top floor. When I went on a Wednesday night with some friends it was almost empty, and the people who were there were probably middle age (my friends and I are Americans, around 21). The DJ played a lot of American Top 40 stuff, and take requests as well. I kind of enjoyed it though, had a good time.

I also have stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund, and my dad stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I'd choose PH hands down, then Hyatt on Bund, new, modern, clean, nice, but big. Then put the Grand Hyatt last, I think it's old, outdated (still has tube tvs...), and in need of a major reno. Also I thought the rooms were kind of dark, and the slightly odd shape didn't help...

The JW or Le Meridien at People's Square may not be in the worst location. It's like half way between the Bund and Puxi. The Four Seasons is around there as well. Also along the Bund, in addition to the Peninsula, the Waldorf Astoria just opened up, the Swatch Art Peace Hotel and the Fairmont. The Westin isn't too far off either.

Here are a couple websites that can help you find a hotel, bar, nightlife, etc. These websites are so helpful, I used them a lot when I was living in Shanghai last summer.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/

http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai
bstv69 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by UAL747fan
There isn't a like "Bar Street" or "Bar Area" in Shanghai, but I'd recommend going over to Xintiandi, or Sinan Mansions, in addition to the rooftop places on the Bund.
-Yongfu Lu
-Hengshang Lu
-Julu Lu
-Laowai Jie (it really is called that)

...all better than the Bund or XTD, imo.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
-Yongfu Lu
-Hengshang Lu
-Julu Lu
-Laowai Jie (it really is called that)

...all better than the Bund or XTD, imo.
Particularly Hengshang Lu seems to cater 99% to Westerners.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Particularly Hengshang Lu seems to cater 99% to Westerners.
As opposed to Mint?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:04 pm

I guess I missed those. I didn't really hang out there much. Probably only went once or twice. My mistake. I still maintain that I don't think there isn't a like a central area that caters to westerners like SanLiTun or WuDaoKou in Beijing...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by UAL747fan
I guess I missed those. I didn't really hang out there much. Probably only went once or twice. My mistake. I still maintain that I don't think there isn't a like a central area that caters to westerners like SanLiTun or WuDaoKou in Beijing...
Both cities are more fragmented wrt nightlife than they were 10 years back, but Xuhui is just as much of an epicenter as SLT (in my opinion).
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone ever taken one of those busses that wander Pudong at night, the ones with all the LED mood lighting? I doubt that they would be very interesting, but I've always wondered about them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.