Reload this Page >

best hotel in brussels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best hotel in brussels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:01 am

Epicura Passportinonehand Actually looking at a map, Ghent would seem to be a better hub.

Based on google maps, by train from Ghent, Bruges is about 30 minutes, Brussels about 45 and Antwerp over an hour. Am I misreading?

The 1898 Post looks nice.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
Epicura Passportinonehand Actually looking at a map, Ghent would seem to be a better hub.

Based on google maps, by train from Ghent, Bruges is about 30 minutes, Brussels about 45 and Antwerp over an hour. Am I misreading?

The 1898 Post looks nice.
I never take the train but by car without traffic Bruges is 30min, Antwerp & Brussels 40min so I thought the train would be about the same, but Google Maps will know best! :-)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
is there really nothing better than the amigo in brussels? Not even a boutique? thats kind of frustrating and weird
Not really, Brussels is full of 3 and 4* chain hotels. Very business orientated.

IMHO De Witte Lelie (SLH) is the most refined hotel you will find in Belgium. 1898 Post is also nice but larger (typical Zannier finishings) and IMHO Antwerp is just a more exciting city than Gent. Better shopping, better restaurants.

A new hotel opened in Antwerp, August (Design Hotels) by Vincent Van Duysen. Have not been so can not comment. Worth to have a look, it’s in an old cloister.

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
I never take the train but by car without traffic Bruges is 30min, Antwerp & Brussels 40min so I thought the train would be about the same, but Google Maps will know best! :-)
It depends on the type of train you will take. Some are IR with extra stops and some are IC/express trains. Also depends on the station you will use (Brussels has 3 big ones for instance).

Anyway, I would not worry too much about distances. Belgium is a small country so you can either use Antwerp, Gent or Brussels as a hub. Bruges is a bit more out of the way but still an easy train ride from those 3 cities.

Driving is also an option but be aware of massive traffic jams at peak hours.

If by any chance you would like to visit the countryside: have a look at restaurant De Slagmolen (2*). They operate a small B&B for their guests who like to spend the night. Very high in demand so make to sure to reserve a table well in advance. Either drive or take the train to Genk and taxi from there (about 20 mins).

If you need any help, just let me know.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 4, 2020 at 9:48 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Originally Posted by Epicura
If you need any help, just let me know.
Our current thought is to arrive in Brussels by train, see some sights, then on to Ghent for two days, then one day in Bruges, then return to Brussels for a morning flight. Our main interest is art and architecture. Travel between cities would be by train. We would stay in Ghent at the 1898 Post for the four nights.

If that sounds sensible, is there anywhere in Brussels we could leave luggage before proceeding to Ghent?

EDIT: NMBS/SNCB - Station Brussel-Zuid/Gare de Bruxelles-Midi (belgianrail.be) lists staffed and automated luggage lockers, although I've been fooled by train station web sites before.

It is possible we'd land in BRU and do France second.

Last edited by richarddd; Jun 6, 2021 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:49 pm

richarddd what did you end up doing? Planning a similar route.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Milwaukee
richarddd what did you end up doing? Planning a similar route.
Took the train to Brussels then Ghent and stayed at 1898 The Post, which was nice. We took day trips out of Ghent.
Milwaukee likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:30 am

Following up here - had a very nice stay at 1898 The Post in Ghent. Would come back here in a heartbeat - friendly staff, stylish rooms (highest ceilings I've ever had). I was in room 1, which is right next to the reception and I was skeptical that it would be quiet enough, but no issues. Thanks richarddd .
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 14, 2022 at 5:48 pm Reason: Small edit to make it clear that the 1898 is not in Brussels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.