As per title - what's good in Jakarta?
How is the newly opened FS?
MO looks dated.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A thread started a few months ago has some discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hese-days.html

Oops. Thanks Obsidian. I guess I had Kuala Lumpur (note to self: must read entire post)in my mind as I was reading the above thread last night for a future stay there.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 6, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
A thread started a few months ago has some discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hese-days.html
I think you are confusing Indonesia with Malaysia
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:11 pm

MY sole experience is with the Mandarin Oriental which is solid and in a very good location. Can't go wrong there. Love their club rooms with a full size desk to work at.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
also had a great gym
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
SLA is best for security & decent F & B . Rooms are alright , get club floor .
Others have stayed Kempinski & say ok .
However , MO is " terrible " here according to locals & their guests ..
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
SLA is best for security & decent F & B . Rooms are alright , get club floor .
Others have stayed Kempinski & say ok .
However , MO is " terrible " here according to locals & their guests ..
Is there a security concern in Jakarta? This is the first I've heard of it. As a westerner I haven't had any different experience with regar dto personal security in Jakarta than in, say Bangkok or KL.

Also, MO being "terrible" is also something I've never heard it described at. Can you elaborate?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Is there a security concern in Jakarta? This is the first I've heard of it. As a westerner I haven't had any different experience with regar dto personal security in Jakarta than in, say Bangkok or KL.

Also, MO being "terrible" is also something I've never heard it described at. Can you elaborate?
There is. Is it any more dangerous than what may happen in say France or Belgium or in the good old USA? Hard to know for sure, but the safety risk is probably more of an issue than the security risk.

Would I avoid a high-end stay in Jakarta any more than a high-end stay in some US or European cities? Probably not. Would I be more concerned about car accidents in Indonesia than in Sweden? Without a doubt.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

Keraton at the Plaza is a good choice. Great service, giant rooms, good location, very good F&B, and pretty good reviews.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Either the RC Pacific and I believe there is a new FS.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Kempinski was pretty good when I stayed a few months ago. Huge rooms, decent service, decent food at the restaurant. Convenient, too - with it being linked to a nice big mall.

Very obviously a business hotel and not a luxury one though.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Would I avoid a high-end stay in Jakarta any more than a high-end stay in some US or European cities? Probably not. Would I be more concerned about car accidents in Indonesia than in Sweden? Without a doubt.
Naturally but I'd put that on equal footing to Manila or Bangkok, so more standard fare for certain Major Asian cities rather than a specific security concern that would have me gravitating more toward one hotel than another.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Four Seasons Jakarta

I had clients at the FS last month in a Premier Suite. They gave positive feedback, but not a lot of detail. There's a "one night on us" promotion available until March on their Premier Suites, combinable with FSPP benefits. Amazing rate for 700+ sf and FS service.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Naturally but I'd put that on equal footing to Manila or Bangkok, so more standard fare for certain Major Asian cities rather than a specific security concern that would have me gravitating more toward one hotel than another.
Perhaps I'd be more likely to avoid major brand hotels in Jakarta than avoid the same brands in Manila or Bangkok, for "security" reasons; but for choosing amongst hotels in Jakarta, comparing hotel security as a factor in picking amongst high profile hotels wouldn't be my kind of thing.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
As per title - what's good in Jakarta?
How is the newly opened FS?
MO looks dated.
Are you traveling there for work or leisure? If for work, you should choose the hotel with the most convenient location to where you want to go, or you will waste hours getting stucked in Jakarta's awful traffic jam. I know, because I live here.

The new FS is quite beautiful. It's just opened not long ago. I visited the hotel, had several meals there and tour the rooms and facilities. Very posh decor. F&B can be improved thoug. Service can be a hit and miss and the biggest concern will be the location. It's adjacent to an office tower and not convenient.

The MO renovated not long ago and is a good choice. You should also check out the Keraton at the Plaza which is connected to the Plaza Indonesia shopping and has excellent F&B including the best Sunday brunch in Jakarta if you are into buffet. The two RCs are not bad too and are solid choice although for me both are starting to look quite old.

For business hotel, the newly opened Westin is a good choice. It's also the tallest hotel in Jakarta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.