Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Paris Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stimpy, i think vuittonsofstyle was using "interesting" rhetorically

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
George V whenever available (its almost always booked!)
occupancy >
2010 76.5%
2009 75.0%
2008 81.2%
2007 83.2%
2006 83.1%

i wonder what the highest luxury hotel occupancies are/were
in 2007 MO london was 88%

Originally Posted by wripro
convenience and beauty...Le Bristol, PA have a bit of both
sheer drama...Ritz and Le Crillon
^ what about PH? and convenience of ritz and crillon?

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cdric
I would say Crillon has both
Ritz & PH I would say more beauty than convenience
^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
Location is comprised of two elements imo, convenience and beauty. George V has convenience but certainly not beauty. Same with Le Meurice. Shangri-La has beauty but no convenience. Le Bristol, PA have a bit of both. For sheer drama, of course, you cannot beat the locations of the Ritz and Le Crillon.
Yes, I agree with you.
Except GV, why 'not beauty'? There are high end shops (Herms, Vuitton, Bvlgari, etc.), trees, restaurants, it goes from Champs Elyses to la Seine, right now because of Prince de Galles renovation the sidewalks are not that great but when back to normal it will be a nice area.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wripro, thanks ^ what about PH? and convenience of ritz and crillon?
I'm interested by your reply Wripro.
I would say Crillon has both (view on place de la Concorde + rue du Faubourg Saint-Honor 100m away just behind, with metro station right in front of the hotel, also close to la Madeleine.
Ritz & PH I would say more beauty than convenience but they are still very close to les Tuileries, le Louvres, Palais Garnier, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:48 pm

Rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd bump this. I am looking for a hotel stay from Oct 8th and 11th. So close to Crillon closure date, I'm concerned that the rooms would've let the hotel weather since it will go for full refurbishment... has anyone stayed here recently? Would Le Meurice, be better choice? Intercontinental Le Grand?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by aimela
Rather than starting a new thread, thought I'd bump this. I am looking for a hotel stay from Oct 8th and 11th. So close to Crillon closure date, I'm concerned that the rooms would've let the hotel weather since it will go for full refurbishment... has anyone stayed here recently? Would Le Meurice, be better choice? Intercontinental Le Grand?
Le Meurice is of the same 5* "palace hotel" quality as du Crillon, but not so IC Paris Le Grand. I've had poor reports of service at IC and rooms are quite small there. To get a decent sized Jr. Suite, you may as well pay about the same to be at Le Meurice.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I've only just got back from Paris and stayed at Le Meurice, FS George V, Royal Monceau Raffles and Le Crillon. Only Le Meurice disappointed. No one helped me with my bags till I was just at the doorway. There were 2/3 doormen and they should have seen me with my 2 bags unless they assumed I was going somewhere else as I didn't alight from a Merc or Rolls. There was 1 snooty concierge. F & B service was excellent though. FS and Le Crillon were just amazing service-wise. Service at Royal Monceau was also very very good but I guess in Paris I prefer the Louis XIV furnishings to Starck. The rooms at Raffles and Le Meurice were on the small side despite me getting an upgrade via FHR. No drop in standard at Le Crillon.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
At Le Crillon I was upgraded to their most junior suite, spacious but not a real suite. They told me that it was a recently renovated one. So if you are concerned, ask for a recently renovated one. The sky-blue colour is just like in the photos.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DavidO
Le Meurice is of the same 5* "palace hotel" quality as du Crillon, but not so IC Paris Le Grand. I've had poor reports of service at IC and rooms are quite small there. To get a decent sized Jr. Suite, you may as well pay about the same to be at Le Meurice.
As someone who has had about 100 stays at Le Grand I can say that it is categorically wrong to say that it isn't palace quality. The suites are amazing and the club is great. And of course the history of the hotel cannot be matched. The entry level rooms are not great, but that is true of many 5 star hotels including some FS's I could name. It's true that if you are booking a nice suite you will pay the same at Le Meurice or Le Grand assuming you have no status and no corporate discount. However if you do have a corporate discount that could significantly lower the price. And if you have earned elite status with Intercontinental you should get at least a two level upgrade, free mini-bar, guaranteed 8am check in and 4pm check out, free Club access, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
I've only just got back from Paris and stayed at Le Meurice, FS George V, Royal Monceau Raffles and Le Crillon. Only Le Meurice disappointed. No one helped me with my bags till I was just at the doorway. There were 2/3 doormen and they should have seen me with my 2 bags unless they assumed I was going somewhere else as I didn't alight from a Merc or Rolls. There was 1 snooty concierge. F & B service was excellent though. FS and Le Crillon were just amazing service-wise. Service at Royal Monceau was also very very good but I guess in Paris I prefer the Louis XIV furnishings to Starck. The rooms at Raffles and Le Meurice were on the small side despite me getting an upgrade via FHR. No drop in standard at Le Crillon.
FWIW (and as someone who usually stays at the FS), this doesn't match my experience at Le Meurice at all. I found the service to be very good, and found the concierges in particular to be much better than those at the FS in two important respects:

1) The concierges at Le Meurice actually answer e-mail messages in a timely manner (the FS is ridiculously bad in this respect--they might as well just get rid of the e-mail address and force you to call them, which is clearly what they prefer), and
2) The concierges at Le Meurice seem to be able to get reservations that I couldn't manage by myself. For example: in about eight trips to Paris, neither I nor the concierges at the FS were able to get us a table at L'Astrance, even with reasonable advance planning--the folks at Le Meurice got us one on the night of my choosing with relatively poor planning.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:21 pm

Thank you all, it is my first time in Paris, so I am torn. Anyone stay at Le Bristol? I believe I've narrowed it down to Le Meurice and Le Bristol (for now anyway). Le Bristol is 200€ more... although you do get free one way transfer through virtuoso booking... argh... who has better breakfast, view, service?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
If location is a significant factor for you, Le Meurice has the perfect location for walking around Paris. Right across the street from le jardin des tuileries, you can walk across the park to the Musee d'Orsay, or turn left in the park and walk to the Louvre and a bit beyond to the Ile de la Cite to Notre Dame, etc. It's my favorite hotel in Paris.

Le Bristol is on a very nice shopping street, but not as convenient for walking to most attractions. Rooms are very attractive, individually designed by the owner's wife using gorgeous French fabrics.

You're not going to get a view from either unless you book some of the most expensive rooms and suites... and I don't think the breakfast will break the tie for you.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:45 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
who has better breakfast, view, service?
Breakfast in Le Bristol's garden is hard to beat... If the weather holds. I personally don't care for Le Meurice's location, but its a fine choice as well.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:54 am

Red face

I think I'm gonna have to check in and out of hotels during my stay. DavidO, you've sold me..., what would be the minimum room category at the Le Meurice?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stimpy
As someone who has had about 100 stays at Le Grand I can say that it is categorically wrong to say that it isn't palace quality. The suites are amazing and the club is great. And of course the history of the hotel cannot be matched. The entry level rooms are not great, but that is true of many 5 star hotels including some FS's I could name. It's true that if you are booking a nice suite you will pay the same at Le Meurice or Le Grand assuming you have no status and no corporate discount. However if you do have a corporate discount that could significantly lower the price. And if you have earned elite status with Intercontinental you should get at least a two level upgrade, free mini-bar, guaranteed 8am check in and 4pm check out, free Club access, etc.
As an example, I just did a weekend at Le Grand in one of their top suites (Ambassador Suite) which goes for €3000 per night. Through a combination of elite status and the free night coupons they give out, I paid only €200 per night and got Club access too which covered food and drink. Not to mention the free mini-bar.

Next door to my suite was a Royal Suite with an actual Royal Princess (Qatari) in residence.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:03 am

I think I'm gonna have to check in and out of hotels during my stay. DavidO, you've sold me..., what would be the minimum room category at the Le Meurice?
The minimum room category under the Virtuoso contract is the Superior room (although there is also a Classic room that can show up in the GDS - and I've sometimes been able to get amenities extended).
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:47 am

Sorry, I've meant to ask which lowest room category for a view of the Tuileries. Insomnia sinks in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.