Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels In New York

Luxury Hotels In New York

Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I am at the Trump now. Booked with FHR and got 3rd night free with the usual bennies and an upgrade to an Executive Suite/apartment. It's not on a residential floor, but it has a full kitchen. I think this is my first mid-town hotel stay that has a swimming pool. Nice steam and sauna too. I like most everything about this hotel except the design in the room is a bit dated, especially in the small bathroom. Everything is shiny and new looking though. No stains or scratches anywhere. And of course I love the location. We usually stay at the St Regis on family visits, but gave this a try. It is perfectly fine.

If anyone stayed at the Ritz Carlton by Four Seasons in Chicago before the recent renovation I would say that is a good comp. Great hotel and great service, but the RC really needed that renovation. This hotel could use the same makeover.

I have to add now that the pool closed yesterday for renovation. And the locker rooms are closing today. No advanced warning at all. That plus the small bathroom are the only two negatives so far.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Bumping this thread to note I'll be staying at the Greenwich Hotel in about two weeks, based on the recommendations in this thread, and thereby dumping my usual favorite--the Crosby Street Hotel.

I've taken up a suite as the rooms didn't seem all that great from my previous visit. I'll report back on whether I like it.

I unfortunately can't do the Baccarat. I'm in general finding Manhattan less and less appealing. Previously the only areas that made the city somewhat enjoyable for me were Soho, Nolita, LES, East Village and Tribeca (and now soho is pretty whatever to me), but there's just nothing for me in the UES, UWS, or in Midtown.

And this makes me conflicted because I'm curious to try the Aman whenever it finally opens.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:48 pm

Old thread, new bump.

Our favorite hotel in the city - we have like 40 nights there in three years for theater weekends - the Bryant Park Hotel is closing/has closed. We are devastated - it isn’t “luxury” but in NYC that’s hard to find and imo seldom worth the expense.

My question​​​​​: does anyone know a upscale / luxury hotel around Bryant Park that has hardwood floors / minimalist-style rooms and possible separate shower and tub? That’s what we loved about the Bryant Park (other than the staff). The separate shower and tub, the clean rooms and the Morton Brown products. I am so sad.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Rosewood Carlyle

Every few years I check in on the Carlyle to see if they have done renovations because I think the hotel has such tremendous, and unfortunately every time I am disappointed. Have they carried out any significant renovations on the rooms and amenities? Its hard to tell from the Rosewood website.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:52 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sppunk
Old thread, new bump.

Our favorite hotel in the city - we have like 40 nights there in three years for theater weekends - the Bryant Park Hotel is closing/has closed. We are devastated - it isnt luxury but in NYC thats hard to find and imo seldom worth the expense.

My question​​​​​: does anyone know a upscale / luxury hotel around Bryant Park that has hardwood floors / minimalist-style rooms and possible separate shower and tub? Thats what we loved about the Bryant Park (other than the staff). The separate shower and tub, the clean rooms and the Morton Brown products. I am so sad.
I know this is old but for anyone wondering, the Bryant Park Hotel has reopened. I agree that it's far from a luxurious hotel but FYI it is probably one of the best hotels that matches your criteria (near Bryant park, hardwood floors, minimalist, + separate tub and shower).

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Every few years I check in on the Carlyle to see if they have done renovations because I think the hotel has such tremendous, and unfortunately every time I am disappointed. Have they carried out any significant renovations on the rooms and amenities? Its hard to tell from the Rosewood website.
AFAIK, no. I agree the property has been neglected a lot. I wouldn't consider it a top-tier option anymore (which is unfortunate as it has many fundamentals going for it).
sppunk likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Carlyle Rosewood ...

Originally Posted by WasKnown
AFAIK, no. I agree the property has been neglected a lot. I wouldn't consider it a top-tier option anymore (which is unfortunate as it has many fundamentals going for it).
Curious. Could you elaborate on the positive fundamentals? We had a miserable stay at the Carlyle. Even the elevators are subpar. I've long asserted that this is a famous bar and concert venue with a hotel attached. The hotel seems to be a clever attempt to cover the overhead for the condos.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Carlyle Rosewood ...

Curious. Could you elaborate on the positive fundamentals? We had a miserable stay at the [color=#333333]Carlyle. Even the elevators are subpar. I've long asserted that this is a famous bar and concert venue with a hotel attached.
Fair enough. I'm not surprised to hear that you had an unpleasant stay there. By fundamentals, I really just mean the building's architecture, rich history, and very unique location. The only other credible option nearby is The Mark Hotel. While The Mark has its own share of issues, I would consider it strictly superior to the Carlyle these days. A far cry from the hotel's past as the "New York White House".

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
The hotel seems to be a clever attempt to cover the overhead for the condos.
AFAIK, the Carlyle only sells co-ops. https://streeteasy.com/building/the-...ponsors=falseI reckon this $2.75 million unit (which would not even classify it as "luxury" in Manhattan) is 1250 square feet. The monthly carry cost is $28K on top of that $2.75 million. Not sure how much subsidizing is going on but that's high even by NYC standards.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Any news on the reopening of the Chatwal?

When I plan on attending a few Broadway shows, this is by far my favorite choice for convenience. I have noticed the reopening date keeps slipping….was August, then late Sept and now it seems Nov 1, 2021. I have reservation for mid Jan ‘22, so I am still not too concerned. But, any updates that can confirm that the intent of the Dream Group is still to reopen before then would be appreciated. It would be a real shame if this property falls to the pandemic. I love the attached Lambs Club too for breakfast and the occasional dinner. Storied setting and great food. Cannot think of more cozy space on icy NYC winter morning than in front a roaring fire in the fireplace gifted to the Lambs Club by Stanford White.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although it was a number of years ago, I also had a bad experience at the Carlyle (in a suite) and would never go back again.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
When I plan on attending a few Broadway shows, this is by far my favorite choice for convenience. I have noticed the reopening date keeps slipping.was August, then late Sept and now it seems Nov 1, 2021. I have reservation for mid Jan 22, so I am still not too concerned. But, any updates that can confirm that the intent of the Dream Group is still to reopen before then would be appreciated. It would be a real shame if this property falls to the pandemic. I love the attached Lambs Club too for breakfast and the occasional dinner. Storied setting and great food. Cannot think of more cozy space on icy NYC winter morning than in front a roaring fire in the fireplace gifted to the Lambs Club by Stanford White.
I believe they were most recently targeting a mid October but,
per your comment, have pushed it back again.

The Time NY and the Margaritaville Resort in Time Square have reopened. The hotel may reopen to avoid fees associated with this: https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/24/n...severance-pay/. It matches up with the November 1 deadline so I think it will stick. However, I would temper your expectations. If that is the case, they would literally be forced by the city to reopen. That doesnt sound like a recipe for a great experience to me.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I believe they were most recently targeting a mid October but,
per your comment, have pushed it back again.

The Time NY and the Margaritaville Resort in Time Square have reopened. The hotel may reopen to avoid fees associated with this: https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/24/n...severance-pay/. It matches up with the November 1 deadline so I think it will stick. However, I would temper your expectations. If that is the case, they would literally be forced by the city to reopen. That doesnt sound like a recipe for a great experience to me.
Thanks and agreed. Fingers crossed that any deterioration in the guest experience is not so noticeable as to outweigh the benefits of ambiance and location
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:15 pm

I am wondering what the best suites (hard product) that can be had for under $2k (at least some of the time) are? Beautiful rooms, views, amenities, etc. Give me your opinions, there are just a ridiculous number of hotels to sort through. What have been your experiences?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by miadeals
I am wondering what the best suites (hard product) that can be had for under $2k (at least some of the time) are? Beautiful rooms, views, amenities, etc. Give me your opinions, there are just a ridiculous number of hotels to sort through. What have been your experiences?
Completely depends on what youre visiting. The specialty suites at the historic properties in NYC are gorgeous but the prices vary a lot. If you want something more modern, the Equinox Hotel sells very nice corner suites for under $2K. Most of them come with views of the Hudson River. Its more of a luxury condo vibe though
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by miadeals
I would ask (1) where in New York do you want to be, (2) do you prefer contemporary or traditional decor, and (3) do you prefer a larger hotel that's part of a chain (FS or RC, for example) or a boutique independent hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
I would ask (1) where in New York do you want to be, (2) do you prefer contemporary or traditional decor, and (3) do you prefer a larger hotel that's part of a chain (FS or RC, for example) or a boutique independent hotel.
For 1, unfortunately, most of the nice hotels in NYC are largely focused on one part of midtown (with few exceptions). There are plenty of solid hotels in more interesting neighborhoods but I dont think they would really qualify as luxury.

If OP is visiting NYC next year and cares most about hard product, I think the Aman New York will be the clear winner. I have not yet seen any of the hotel rooms but the branded residences are simply stunning. What $2K/night can buy there really depends on the time of year for the visit tbh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.