Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Thoughts - African Safari / Aman India / ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold

Hi All,

I am sure this is a thread which many of you will have a lot of great opinions so I am looking forward to hearing all of the thoughtful responses. I am a very frequent traveler of luxury hotels and my fiancée and I have been to many great hotels and locations around the world. We have traveled Europe extensively and would like to go somewhere on the honeymoon that is more of a "destination", out of the way, great sightseeing, nice relaxation, and of course amazing luxury and superb dining and service. Thus no Europe and no So.A. I am considering a 2 day stop in Europe on the way to the honeymoon location though. We would also consider an Asian city for a few days but would not like the honey moon to be too city dense. The time for the Honeymoon would be end of August early September, and depending on the location (India) we could delay into October.

We were recently in Indonesia where we stayed at a few of the unbelievable Aman properties. As many of you know - we are now "aman junkies" and had amazing experience at Amankila and Amanjiwo. Since we were just in Indonesia - this area is out too. Will still consider Vietnam, Cambodia Laos.

India
- A tour of the 3 Aman Properties , a few day stop in Europe going or coming
- I would also like to visit maybe one of the amazing Oberoi hotels?
- Itinerary and Travel Suggestions? Which Oberoi?
- Can I go last week In August or first week in September or is it to hot and rainy?
Should I wait until October and do a 3 day honeymoon right after the wedding?

Africa
- I was considering visiting the Singita hotels in Tanzania, as well as the Ngrongo Crater Lodge and Mnemba.
- Is it possible to combine the beach with the Safari - perhaps Seychelles or Mauritous?
- Shall I check out the Singita Hotels in South Africa?
- I never book through a tour operator, but would you recommend doing Micato, or just booking through the hotels?

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:14 pm

All would be amazing trips but for me the East Africa itinerary might have the edge based on the following:
1) perfect time of year for that part of Africa. You should get to see the wildebeest migration which is amazing, and the weather and game viewings are generally at their best at that time of year.
2) Ditto perfect weather in Mnemba and it offers the ideal beach companion to the safari and is easy to combine, and personally i find Mnemba to be a better beach destination than Mauritius etc (reminds me of Amanpulo which is my other favourite) - it is insanely romantic.
3) If you haven't already been on safaris then i think it is the ideal one-off, amazing memories and romantic trip that is perfectly suited to a honeymoon. Although it does involve early starts (fun in themselves in my view - being woken at the crack of dawn with a cup of coffee and freshly baked cookies, before a couple of hours of dawn game viewing, and then back to the lodge for an amazing and much deserved breakfast, before having the rest of the day free until going out again late afternoon) , there is plenty of time of relaxing and chilling out through the heat of the day. I loved India but don't recall having too much chilling out time - it all felt quite tiring and hot and frantic, and although the hotels were an amazing sanctuary to retreat to at the end of each day, for me at least it didn't have that same balance of adventure and relaxation that a top end safari has, which is what you need on a honeymoon after all the frantic wedding preparations etc.

My husband and i have done both of these trips (Safari and India) and adored both, but we choose the safari option for our own honeymoon (5 nights Mnemba, 1 night in Stone Town followed by 2 weeks in Tanzania and Kenya at various lodges including Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Lake Manyara, Serengeti etc) and it was beyond all of our honeymoon dreams - just perfect - and i cannot recommend it enough as the ideal honeymoon destination.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:44 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Singita - hands down, but in South Africa

India is great, and doing it with Aman makes it bearable. Otherwise this can be an exhausting destination. I would however not go there from August to October and therefore rather choose South Africa end August / early September. Nice and cool then !

Wildlife is much better in Africa and you might see the Rantambore tiger later in your life.

I have just been at Singita Lebombo and Singita Ebony (3 nights each) and can assure you that even for their stiff rates, they deliver (except no included Champagne, a shame) ! You will have the experience of a lifetime especially with their walking safaris. ( The lions did not eat me unfortunate enough for my enemies on FT )

Transfers are provided by Federal Air, probably the best managed small airline you can imagine.

You might then move to Cape Town for some springtime there. But please don't take the overrated Rovos Rail which is an extremely poor product - I am a train fan and regret it. Blue Train looks less luxurious but can not be worse.

In Cape Town stay at the Cape Grace Hotel or Ellermann House and for unique whale watching head to the Marine in Hermanus.

South Africa is great, a much civilized place and unlikely its neigbors NOT a third world country with obscure politicians reigning.

Last edited by behuman; Nov 22, 2011 at 1:59 am
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

@cadogan - Did you use a Safari Opertor - Micato? &Beyond? Can you give a little more detail on Mnemba? Have you stayed at any of the Singitas?

Thanks for the description.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in india vuittonsofstyle recommends banjaar tola (taj &beyond)

more recent &beyond lodge stays - aesla11 and Fliar

many fans of singita here, dont recall how much on tanzania, which has new mobile camp

A&K also offers mobile camp between &beyond, singita, A&K, etc lodges

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.wildwatch.com/ wildlife sighting blog for &beyond africa and india
Originally Posted by behuman
South Africa is great, a much civilized place and unlikely its neigbors NOT a third world country with obscure politicians reigning.
botswana was rated least corrupt, and tanzania has least extreme history

lukula selous will be reopening like singita tanzania, except with only 1 fixed camp instead of 3.

are there any websites that talk about the largest private "reserves" with fewest number of guests?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:27 am

We used A&K staying mostly (though not exclusively) in CC Africa camps (now &beyond i believe). Most of our safari was in Tanzania, with the final few days in Kenya at Little Governors camp as we wanted to experience a balloon safari (at that time at least not available anywhere in Tanzania) and spent usually 2 nights in each camp or lodge with accommodation varying between luxury tents, luxury treehouses and Ngorongoro Crater Lodge (which is hard to classify but think in terms of uber-luxury masai mud-houses!!!!). Game viewing varied in each location but was spectacular for different reasons everywhere we went, and we finally caught the wildebeest migration on our last day in Governors Camp in the Masia-mara (but could just as easily have seen it in northern Serengeti where we were before) which will I am certain remain with me as one of my life's greatest moments.

Jwerz let me know what you'd like to know about Mnemba specifically and i'll do my best to answer it. In general terms, the accommodation is basic though comfortable but the island is magical - absolutely perfect beaches (on par with or better than the best of the Maldives, Amanpulo etc), totally spectacular diving (on day one and two we were diving and snorkelling with whale sharks - apparently quite normal in Mnemba but the kind of thing that many seasoned scuba divers can only dream of) and very good food tailored entirely to your requirements. Each night they would set up different dining locations that were always magical and very romantic and we loved it. I look back on our time there and just remember feeling totally blissed out and utterly charmed - and i am quite hard to please when it comes to top end travel!!!
I must point out that this trip was 11 years ago so i guess places may have changed but i hope not!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I have been to all the places you suggest, some multiple times. The Singita locations in Tanzania are fabulous, but their migration tends to be earlier - June and early July. By late August the migration has usually moved to the Masai Mara in Kenya and the border of Tanzania bit Singita grumeti is far, far away. While there are adequate accommodations there, nothing in the league of Singita. The migration changes year to year based on weather patterns (rain) but in general I would not plan to go to this part of Tanzania to see the migration in late August. You would still enjoy and have good animal viewing, but not the migration.

India would not be my choice for the weather at this time.

I would choose south Africa. I suggest Singita boulders ( my personal favorite of the two there although that is a matter of taste as both are beautiful) and Singita leobombo which we also loved and is quite different. I would couple this with a stay at the Ellerman House in Capetown - don't plan on sunbathing weather this time of year, but you can have some warm days if you are lucky.
I would also think about adding a camp in Botswana which is my favorite African safari destination. I recommend mombo camp for great game viewing and accommodations. Not as luxurious as Singita, but still very nice. F
For beach it is a tough one - I would opt for Seychelles or maurtius or Mozambique. Have been to the Seychelles several times and enjoyed fregate island, north island and four seasons ( less than first two), Mauritius we liked the prince Maurice, and have yet to try Mozambique. Plan to do on next African trip but have heard Azura and vanish island are nice. Weather in Seychelles that time of year can be windy, but we had no rain. Water can be rough from the wind, but depends what you want to do.
I did not personally love Memba Island myself as the accommodations I found a bit rugged. I was there however 6 years ago so could have changed. Beach was very nice. Food was good, island pretty. We did not have great diving and snorkeling but were there in January timeframe so just my opinion.
Regardless of what you choose you should have a great time, but this is definately a great time to visit south Africa and see the animals and stay at a few real luxury lodges.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
What about combining a Safari with Amangabon? Last I heard, the first property was scheduled to open in a couple of months
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Any other thoughts regarding visting Singita Tanzania in August and the migration?

Should I visit all three of the Singita properties in Tanzania or select two? If two which Two. I think my preference would be for Sasakawa and Sabora(because of the uniqueness of tented accomadations).

Aman Gabon is an interesting idea - any update on the progress beyond what has been discuss on the Aman 2011 forum?

Thanks for all the great advice.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG, Amex Platinum
We stayed this past early/mid July in andbeyond camps. August will be definitely very late for the migration there. You may want to look into Masai Mara in Kenya. I would highly recommend Kitchwa Tembo camp there. In Serengeti, andbeyond camps of Grumeti and Kleins are outstanding. They are very luxurious with great service and food. The only thing that you'll gain with Singita would be improvement in food and beverages and maybe more luxurious accomodation (for ALOT more money). However, IMHO, one goes to Serengeti to see and be with the animals and not taste the best wines in the world or sleep in the most fancy beds. Andbeyond delivers in this category, second to none. In Grumeti, you're sleeping next to the river with hundreds of Hippos and Crocs within a hundred feet of the tent. All safaris are with open top vehicles and the guides are outstanding. As we had missed the migration in the area secondary to relative drought of this region, they drove us 5 hours each way to see this natural wonder to the Kenya border! Andbeyond Ngorongro crater lodge is also just a dream come true.

In regards to Mnemba, I think it is highly overpriced for a beach destination. We spent four nights there with good diving, snorkeling and relaxation. But it just does not justify its steep price.

Due to our positive experience, we are going to use andbeyond camps in Botswana this summer again but will not go to a beach destination in Africa. Although Aman Gabon should be great (but is a long way away from East Africa).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aesla11
The only thing that you'll gain with Singita would be improvement in food and beverages and maybe more luxurious accomodation
more importantly 300,000 acre private area as well as [private] mobile camp option

Originally Posted by aesla11
for ALOT more money
2012 >

&beyond (10 rooms)
$2190 before oct
$1900 oct

singita
$2300* / $3400** before sep
$1700* / $2380** sep / oct

* sabora (9) and faru faru (9-10)
** sasakwa (10-13)

specials >

singita
2012 http://www.singita.com/index.php/gam...e-night-on-us/
2011 http://www.singita.com/index.php/gam...meti-reserves/

&beyond
2011 http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/speci...a/booking_info incl singita
2011 http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/safar...ti_safari_2011

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 6, 2011 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:02 pm

more importantly 300,000 acre private area as well as mobile camp option

&beyond (10)
$2190 before oct
$1900 oct

singita
$2300* / $3400** before sep
$1700* / $2380** sep

* sabora (9) and faru faru (9-10)
** sasakwa (10-13)
Kage,
&beyond runs great specials throughout the year that lowers the prices significantly. We did the 6 for 4 last year. &beyond Serengeti under canvas is mobile as well. But in August, neither one will be able to catch up with the herds. They'll most likely be in Masai Mara, Kenya.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:51 pm

If you want to do migration, Masai Mara is the place to go for your timeframe.
I agree kichwa tempo is the best, but only if you get Bateleur camp. It is the best IMO in Masai Mara. But, does not compare to Singita in south Africa and Tanzania. I still say for lots of animals and luxurious honeymoon I would do Singita in south Africa. The Masai Mara migration is wonderful, but lots of people. You will see loads of animals in south Africa and I would add a camp in Botswana Okavango delta!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
If you want to do migration, Masai Mara is the place to go for your timeframe.
I agree kichwa tempo is the best, but only if you get Bateleur camp. It is the best IMO in Masai Mara. But, does not compare to Singita in south Africa and Tanzania. I still say for lots of animals and luxurious honeymoon I would do Singita in south Africa. The Masai Mara migration is wonderful, but lots of people. You will see loads of animals in south Africa and I would add a camp in Botswana Okavango delta!
Bateleur is actually where we stayed and can't agree more. How do you compare Singita to &beyond? Why would you combine Bots with S.Africa?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:12 am

Singita is luxury paired with great animal sitings on my humble opinion. We have been to Africa 14 times and loved all singitas, but also enjoyed Masai Mara in several different camps (battler our favorite), tanzania at kleins, did mobile tented camps, norongoro, Singita, etc.
Easy to combine Singita south Africa with Botswana as just fly from Hobert to maun. We have done on several trips. Love the singitas in south Africa, but also enjoyed many camps in Botswana - mombo is favorite, but also loved chiefs, jao (very different water camp) and a few more. Also zimbabwe, Zambia, and Namibia. Of all these given honeymoon, late august and I assume a desire fir lots of animals and romance I would do 3 nights each in Singita boulders, Singita lebombo ( very different terrain) and fly to maun for 3 nights at mambo or chairs. All will be excellent animal sitings and incredible accommodations, and food and wine. But just mho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.