Four Seasons: Baltimore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons: Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So Wit and Wisdom is closing apparently...

It’s going to be replaced by an Atlas group restaurant (blah)... which begs the question: the virtuoso credit has been f and b credit in the past; however not valid at any of the Atlas restaurants... will they continue to offer F and B or will they switch back to spa credit (or perhaps more generic. Hotel credit which would be ideal...)

fdw
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do any FS not have one restaurant they have some control over?
if not, does not mean FS corporate won't change policy on that

referring to FSPP or has it joined virtuoso?
Originally Posted by DavidO
Spa credit

FS Baltimore is not a member of Virtuoso but does offer amenities through FHR and any Four Seasons Preferred Partner
curious to hear reports on whether breakfast goes downhill

btw anyone staying should ask about upgrades at checkin
great deals on fixed-price upgrades including to top suites
also book in advance, it fills up sometimes with insane rates
for suites - exec harbor , harbor (not lighthouse)
for rooms, seems single largest is on 5th floor (511?)
many 'connect' , on 5th floor (only) can connect 3 or 4
in summer, one side of 5th floor is same level as >
fourseasons.com/baltimore/services_and_amenities/services_and_amenities1/whirlpool-and-reflecting-pool
oyster.com/baltimore/hotels/four-seasons-hotel-baltimore/photos/reflection-pool--v2003550-51/
main pool and spa are on 4th floor which has no rooms

baltimore context for most forum readers >
FS owner developed Harbor East, owns a lot including atlas
azumi (atlas) originally pabu under FS & mina
same way loch bar (atlas) replaced lamill
newer rooftop restaurant above FS also atlas

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 31, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:59 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
So Wit and Wisdom is closing apparently...

It’s going to be replaced by an Atlas group restaurant (blah)... which begs the question: the virtuoso credit has been f and b credit in the past; however not valid at any of the Atlas restaurants... will they continue to offer F and B or will they switch back to spa credit (or perhaps more generic. Hotel credit which would be ideal...)

fdw
I hate spa credits for city hotels! You either end up spending $300 after tax and tip (so basically a 30% discount) or don’t use it (which I suspect happens fairly often). F&B credit on the other hand is wonderful, even if if for some drinks at the bar.
KatW and Aventine like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

programs designed to drive revenue for hotels and agencies, not reward guests..

but clearly works extremely well for 1 night stays, whether staycation or business

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
I hate spa credits for city hotels! You either end up spending $300 after tax and tip (so basically a 30% discount) or don’t use it (which I suspect happens fairly often). F&B credit on the other hand is wonderful, even if if for some drinks at the bar.
if you only booked $300 spa for $100 credit, you rewarded hotel (and agent)

if amenity credit was reward, it'd be hotel credit percent of total spend
and hotel chains do publish those kinds of things for groups >
fourseasons.com/meetings_and_events/great_group_values
lots of bill reductions as well as discounts, besides inclusions

while 1 night in top suite can exceed 10 rooms at group rate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:12 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
programs designed to drive revenue for hotels and agencies, not reward guests..

but clearly works extremely well for 1 night stays, whether staycation or business

if you only booked $300 spa for $100 credit, you rewarded hotel (and agent)

if amenity credit was reward, it'd be hotel credit percent of total spend
and hotel chains do publish those kinds of things for groups >
fourseasons.com/meetings_and_events/great_group_values
inclusions, discounts, bill reductions

while 1 night in top suite can exceed 10 rooms at group rate
obviously designed to increase spend regardless of where you can use it, but can feel a little too overly transparent when you can’t spend the credit by itself without a cash outlay. Would rather a percentage discount if it was for the spa..
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

I prefer when they give you a choice for what it can be used for. My FSPP agent has gotten this done before and I suspect most properties in this forum will oblige.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:59 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Sorry I’m not sure if it’s virtuoso actually. FSPP is the program I book with.

I guess for us spa credit at this hotel is most useful. We always used the spa here because we are always in a staycation. Plus the spa is probably one of the best city spas in the area. Given that I strongly disliked Wit and Wisdom; F and B credit always went to waste (well unless you count shopping in the minibar). I can definitely see how spa credit is useless for most travelers though... in the past our agent has been successful getting the F and B credit changed to spa but as of recent has had no luck... I think the hotel has very very high spa demand and realizes its F and B offerings aren’t as attractive. Finally, the hotel has been great at confirming upgrades at booking.

Fdw
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:22 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

[QUOTE=FlyingDoctorwu;30584618]
Sorry I’m not sure if it’s virtuoso actually. FSPP is the program I book with.

I guess for us spa credit at this hotel is most useful. We always used the spa here because we are always in a staycation. Plus the spa is probably one of the best city spas in the area. Given that I strongly disliked Wit and Wisdom; F and B credit always went to waste (well unless you count shopping in the minibar). I can definitely see how spa credit is useless for most travelers though... in the past our agent has been successful getting the F and B credit changed to spa but as of recent has had no luck... I think the hotel has very very high spa demand and realizes its F and B offerings aren’t as attractive. Finally, the hotel has been great at confirming upgrades at booking.

Fdw
[/QUO

You didn’t like their cocktails? Nice bar area
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

frankly the level of discount offered on upgrades will surprise, as it is not one category upgrade, but at maximum from entry room to 2nd best suite. though here 2nd/3rd best likely not 'necessary' as 4th best is harbor suite, which is water side location / version of opposite side's lighthouse suite, and 'not bad' upgrade cost

if not FS for breakfast at 7am, where?
also had 50% off food / burgers 3-6pm

re changing credit - depends on property, occupancy, agent
re F&B credit - presumably can work for room service as well

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 31, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fourseasons.com/baltimore/dining/restaurants/bygone
just went up, lists breakfast (bygone website doesnt)
curious if they kept breakfast chefs, hope they did

baltimoremagazine.com/2018/12/4/wit-wisdom-closing-next-month-to-make-way-for-atlas-restaurant-group-concept
Beginning January 1, Atlas Restaurant Group will transform the space into a new dining destination that is expected to open mid-2019.
(atlas also doing restaurants in DC moxy hotel.. marriott JV with ikea..)

edit >

re lobby morning coffee, at one point included pain au choc

bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2018/12/04/four-seasons-wit-wisdom-to-close-atlas-restaurant.html
Beginning in January, Four Seasons guests can take in breakfast at the Bygone, located atop the hotel on the 29th floor.
edit - bygone site added breakfast menu
hope they kept chefs
might try ordering old menu items

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 5, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

I had another staycation here last week, and I generally agree that the FS Baltimore has one of the best (probably the best) spa in the city, but the men's steam room was broken, and the jacuzzi needs some serious touching up. Broken or missing tiles everywhere - I almost left, but was really looking forward to the experience. The quiet room was a saving grace - great views along with some mixed nuts and decaf earl grey was perfect while I waited for room service to be delivered. Was considering the yearly membership for the pool+spa, but am reconsidering now.

Also, that fake "ice skating rink" was atrocious. Great idea, terrible execution.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:58 pm

We mostly stay for medical appointments at Johns Hopkins, and given Mrs. clarence5ybr's health, we often have room service dinner, so the switch of FHR bonus from F&B credit to spa credit is a big minus for us. I'm hoping they will switch back when the new restaurant opens up.

Wit & Wisdom was never a favorite. They frequently had a decent lamb shank dish, but other than that, nothing that special (it's the only Michael Mina restaurant I've eaten at, and it always made me wonder why he has such a good reputation). The half-price-bottle-of-wine deal they ran on Sundays is something I'll miss, though!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
As a side note from someone that lived in Baltimore until recently, Wit & Wisdom was a nightmare from the get go and I am surprised it took as long as it did for them to swap it out with another option. The restaurant was an embarrassment for the Four Seasons and Michael Mina. There are definitely much better options available in the area outside of the hotel.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

much better options for breakfast? i will miss some of the breakfast menu as well as 3-6pm half price burgers and turkey burgers.

dont recall anyone being positive re atlas (vs wolf) although will be different when 'under' FS. currently bygone, presumably will switch back to Maximon when it opens.

bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/02/14/atlas-to-openlatin-american-inspired-restaurant-in.html
Maximón, named after a Mayan deity, will serve food inspired by South American and Mexican cuisine, the Baltimore-based hospitality group behind Ouzo Bay, Tagliata and the Bygone announced Thursday. Construction on the restaurant will begin in February and is expected to be complete in time for a late summer opening. The restaurant will seat 175 people inside and will feature a main dining room, bar and lounge, as well as a tequila tasting room where guests can make their own blends of the spirit. Maximón will also have a stage, where Atlas plans to book performances by Latin musicians. A Spanish-style courtyard will seat 125 people and will feature fountains and an outdoor bar.
FS vibe again..
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:22 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
much better options for breakfast? i will miss some of the breakfast menu as well as 3-6pm half price burgers and turkey burgers.

dont recall anyone being positive re atlas (vs wolf) although will be different when 'under' FS. currently bygone, presumably will switch back to Maximon when it opens.

bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/02/14/atlas-to-openlatin-american-inspired-restaurant-in.html

FS vibe again..
Ms. Shirley's is a million X better than the FS breakfast.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Atlas. Seems like they go through managers like toilet paper... I think their group is mainly run by scions of some wealthy Baltimore families unlike Wolf/Foreman who did something on their own.

I think that this new restaurant will be a failure. It's a head scratcher that local cuisine isn't highlighted, as this area has some great bounty.

I would not be surprised if it gets deflagged as a Four Seasons. The city is just in shambles which is why I and many others are leaving. I won't even drive to the Four Seasons anymore because you have to drive through so many panhandlers and the squeegee boys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.