Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FS Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
FS Baltimore

Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

200 International Dr Baltimore, MD US 21202

FS Baltimore (1 Photo)

pictured above, view before dawn from my Executive Suite at FS Baltimore, (c) 2014 by David Ourisman

A contemporary hotel located right in the heart of Baltimore’s inner harbor area, I found the Four Seasons Baltimore to be a comfortable and attractive city hotel. The styling is casual and elegant, creating an “at home” feeling in the guest rooms and suites. The effect is pleasant and extremely well done, and I very much enjoyed my stay.

The hotel has 256 rooms, of which 45 are suites. I had the opportunity to see a Partial Water View Terrace Room (502 sq ft), and we stayed in a FS Executive Suite with Water View (953 sq ft).

Regular guestrooms

Regular guest rooms are in the range of 502 - 530 sq foot (inclusive of bathroom and closet area). Entering the door of your room, there is a closet and luggage storage area straight ahead, large enough to use as a dressing area. The bathroom is to one side of the entrance, equipped with a single vanity, TV in the mirror, WC, step-in shower (with both rain shower and wall mounted shower heads), and deep soaking tub. The bedroom is to the other side of the entry. The Partial Water View Terrace room we saw had a King bed, desk space (thoughtfully equipped with four power sockets at desktop level), and sitting area. The bedroom of the Terrace room had pleasant dimensions, more square than rectangular, which helped create the hotel’s residential feel. 

Thoughts on which room category to choose:

(1) The views from Full Water View rooms are stunning, so if you enjoy a great view, it’s definitely worthwhile to upsell into these categories. Because the hotel is frequently 100% occupied, you can’t count on an upgrade into the best views.

(2) Unless you intend to make significant use of an outdoor terrace (which occupies some of the room’s total square footage), I recommend booking a “regular” guest room in order to enjoy a larger bedroom and sitting area.

FS Executive Suite

We stayed in a FS Executive Suite with Water View (#801), and it was a WOW suite. Wrapping around the northwest corner of the building, the LR faced directly north toward the heart of the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards. The BR occupied the corner, with views both to the south and west. Moreover, the hallway leading to the bathroom and dressing room area had west facing floor-to-ceiling windows; the panorama included a good view of the iconic “Dominoes Sugars” sign to the south. The Executive Suite’s bathroom was larger than that of guest rooms but still provided only a single vanity.

Other hotel facilities

The hotel has a fully equipped Fitness center on the fourth floor (open 24/7), offering harbor views while you exercise. An outdoor Infinity pool, open only in the warmer months, offers lounge chairs and resort service reminiscent of Four Seasons beach resorts (roving attendants with Evian mist and occasional cold snacks). The hotel’s full service Spa offers complimentary sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi for guests. FSPP guests can make good use of the $100 spa credit, part of the amenity package.

Amenity programs

FS Baltimore is not a member of Virtuoso but does offer amenities through FHR and any Four Seasons Preferred Partner TA. FSPP amenities are:

• Daily full American breakfast for two people per bedroom, served through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
  • Spa credit of USD100 once during stay (not applicable to products)
  • Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)
  • Now standard at all properties: Complimentary Basic Internet (up to 2 devices) in all guest rooms, Complimentary Premium Internet (up to 4 devices) in all Suites.
FS Baltimore

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Ahh DavidO I hope your trip to my homeland was ok.... The arrival of the FS proves that Baltimore has moved beyond the wire.

Couple things to add:
- The spa is quite incredible. Probably the best of any FS I've been to (though my list isn't terribly long). Plan for extra time around treatments to use the facilities. Treatments are kind of on the pricey side; higher than the FS in DC.
- The rooms, while quite large are split up a bit (at least the room I stayed in) thus making the room feel a bit smaller than it is. Upon entering its Desk/dressing area/bathroom to one side and bed to the other. I'm pretty sure the rooms have Nespresso machine if I recall..
- Dining here is in flux still I think. Wit and Wisdom is the only outlet from the original opening. I've dined there a couple of times thinking that it will get better. Honestly it hasn't. Pabu was excellent but closed as has Lamill coffee. I think that the coffee shop may have reopened but I'm not sure. Perhaps LM225 knows more about that.
- Location is excellent for Baltimore. Harbor East is the go to neighborhood. There are excellent dining choices here (Cindy Wolff's restaurants Charleston and Cinghiale come to mind) and there's a reasonable amount of shopping in the area. If it's nice out then it's a nice stroll to Camden Yards. Both Merrill and Legg Mason are located here so almost perfect spot for business travelers, with T. Rowe Price not too far away. . I do believe a hospital rate is offered here as Maryland's top 3 hospitals are located within 2 miles.
- Again for business travelers, we've used this hotel for conferences and the staff has been delight to work with and we were quite happy.

IT's nice that Baltimore finally has a luxury choice. The 100% occupancy is a testament to how there's nothing else in the area. We've stayed here once for a one night getaway and it's quite enjoyable.Nothing like a 15 minute drive to an urban retreat.

FDW
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:02 am
BLV

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Ahh DavidO I hope your trip to my homeland was ok.... The arrival of the FS proves that Baltimore has moved beyond the wire.

Couple things to add:
- The spa is quite incredible. Probably the best of any FS I've been to (though my list isn't terribly long). Plan for extra time around treatments to use the facilities. Treatments are kind of on the pricey side; higher than the FS in DC.
- The rooms, while quite large are split up a bit (at least the room I stayed in) thus making the room feel a bit smaller than it is. Upon entering its Desk/dressing area/bathroom to one side and bed to the other. I'm pretty sure the rooms have Nespresso machine if I recall..
- Dining here is in flux still I think. Wit and Wisdom is the only outlet from the original opening. I've dined there a couple of times thinking that it will get better. Honestly it hasn't. Pabu was excellent but closed as has Lamill coffee. I think that the coffee shop may have reopened but I'm not sure. Perhaps LM225 knows more about that.
- Location is excellent for Baltimore. Harbor East is the go to neighborhood. There are excellent dining choices here (Cindy Wolff's restaurants Charleston and Cinghiale come to mind) and there's a reasonable amount of shopping in the area. If it's nice out then it's a nice stroll to Camden Yards. Both Merrill and Legg Mason are located here so almost perfect spot for business travelers, with T. Rowe Price not too far away. . I do believe a hospital rate is offered here as Maryland's top 3 hospitals are located within 2 miles.
- Again for business travelers, we've used this hotel for conferences and the staff has been delight to work with and we were quite happy.

IT's nice that Baltimore finally has a luxury choice. The 100% occupancy is a testament to how there's nothing else in the area. We've stayed here once for a one night getaway and it's quite enjoyable.Nothing like a 15 minute drive to an urban retreat.

FDW
I'm in Baltimore as I type (and have spent 10 years here before moving to NYC). To say that I'm constantly amazed at a stark contrast between the Four Seasons and NOTHING around it that could be considered as luxurious and/or on the same level is to say nothing. The area is nice but there is 0 respectable shopping to speak of and dining, well, aside from Black Olive and a cannoli place or two in the nearby Little Italy along with most excellent gelato I've experienced on the east coast aka Pitango in Fells Point, there is nothing. Yes, there are a bunch of cafes and extremely cheesy shops, so I guess the visibility of "something in the area" is there while in reality it's pretty embarrassing.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:10 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BLV
I'm in Baltimore as I type (and have spent 10 years here before moving to NYC). To say that I'm constantly amazed at a stark contrast between the Four Seasons and NOTHING around it that could be considered as luxurious and/or on the same level is to say nothing. The area is nice but there is 0 respectable shopping to speak of and dining, well, aside from Black Olive and a cannoli place or two in the nearby Little Italy along with most excellent gelato I've experienced on the east coast aka Pitango in Fells Point, there is nothing. Yes, there are a bunch of cafes and extremely cheesy shops, so I guess the visibility of "something in the area" is there while in reality it's pretty embarrassing.
Maybe it's a matter of expectations but in terms of Baltimore, I find that the dining and shopping around the Four Seasons is probably as good as it gets... I like Black Olive but would argue any day of the week that Charleston is better. Ouzo Bay is consider one of the new hotspots and it's right there as well. Cinghiale is my routine go to. Shopping wise I would agree that there isn't a Tiffany's or anything super upscale but nothing like that exists in downtown Baltimore. The boutiques that are there are pretty nice and upscale (I wouldn't necessarily call them cheesy), but mostly clothing oriented.

But I will agree that Pitango is excellent gelato.

FDW
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Maybe it's a matter of expectations but in terms of Baltimore, I find that the dining and shopping around the Four Seasons is probably as good as it gets...
Agree with this 100%. Not sure, BLV, if you've made it down there, but both Cinghiale and Charleston are worth trying.

Pabu was excellent but closed as has Lamill coffee. I think that the coffee shop may have reopened but I'm not sure. Perhaps LM225 knows more about that.
Sadly, not yet (as of a week or two ago). You can order coffee at W&W, but they don't pull espresso like Lamill did. That was a big loss for the neighborhood, and I hope they replace it with something equally good. I reached out to Lamill (they have a couple of shops in LA) a while back about whether they'd be the ones reopening the coffee shop there, but they told me that they were still figuring that out.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:48 am
BLV

Doc, there are no upscale clothing shops and/or boutique around Four Seasons. This isn't even a matter of an opinion. I don't think anyone expects a Bergdorf or a Barneys around here but there are plenty of "in-betweens" that would fit the criteria. You're right that nothing like that exists in downtown Baltimore and closest upscale shopping option will be Nordstrom in Towson. This has always been a problem in Baltimore (shopping) and one would think the city would be able to change that with the opening of Four Seasons. I guess not yet.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate it, especially when travelling on business, to discover that the FHR or Virtuoso "amenity" is a spa credit only. The hotels that do this know that the vast majority of their guests won't use it and generally refuse to transfer it to anything else. It strikes me as a phony amenity to a significant degree.

Also, once again, why charge even for so-called "premium" internet? The best available local internet should be included with the room.

DavidO, I've been to Baltimore several times. Would you really categorize the view as stunning from anywhere in Baltimore? I also think we are seeing a sort of Trip-Advisor "ratings upward creep" in this new review format.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 29, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I hate it, especially when travelling on business, to discover that the FHR or Virtuoso "amenity" is a spa credit only. The hotels that do this know that the vast majority of their guests won't use it and generally refuse to transfer it to anything else. It strikes me as a phony amenity to a significant degree.

Also, once again, why charge even for so-called "premium" internet? The best available local internet should be included with the room.

DavidO, I've been to Baltimore several times. Would you really categorize the view as stunning from anywhere in Baltimore? I also think we are seeing a sort of Trip-Advisor "ratings upward creep" in this new review format.
I agree.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Agree with the comments on Spa credits as amenities, and agree that premium Internet should be provided. However, I loved our view!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Disagree on the spa credit. I always use a spa credit, probably 2 to 1 more often than a F&B credit.

Even if I'm not getting a treatment - most spas have an entrance fee just to use the facilities. I've seen it upwards of 70 euro pp (went to the spa at the RC Amelia today - $40 pp). To basically get that comped is a huge value, especially when you just want a steam/sauna.

So, maybe most people don't use the credit, but I love it.

ps, it's going to take more than a FS for Baltimore to ditch The Wire reputation (this is coming from someone who lives in "the Baltimore of the South" - JAX).
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:25 am

Completely agree on the internet, and the find the spa credit to be a double-edged sword. Are there times that I don't want to have a treatment/spend what's required above the credit, yes, but it almost feels like I'm cheating myself if I don't use it because: A) To me, a spa is an important part of a hotel. Helps give me a more general view of the true quality of the overall property. B) While I have no idea about the amount of people using a specialized agent to get the extra perks, I feel like there are less of us than more. The fact there are people paying full price for their treatment with no idea that they could have had a $100 credit simply by booking the right way, makes me feel appreciative that I even have the option. This is just the way I see it, though. Sometimes it would be nice to take a $50 F&B over $100 at the spa
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:43 am

It has a great facial in the spa-someting anti ageing- they put a machine on you. Costs more than the credit but the best facial that I have ever had. The difference was very visible and lasted some time.

It was amusing though that the person couldn't comprehend that as a woman in my 40s I didn't have any facial fillers at all. Bit of a language barrier (I am from the UK) as she was trying to ask subtly without using the words and I just didn't understand what she meant.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:22 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Such a shame that Pabu closed.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:27 pm

I second Ouzo Bay as outstanding and we also enjoy Lebanese Taverna.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:17 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Easy there, cowpokes! I realize that Balto isn't exactly the cosmopolitan haven like most cities with a Four Season, but the fact that Balto now has a quite impressive FS is great for those who visit or live nearby. I grew up just south of Balto and was back in the first year the FS opened for my sister's wedding in the area. I was thrilled to have the FS option, and the hotel didn't disappoint. I had chatted with a front desk manager about hosting a pre-wedding event in our Executive Suite, and we arrived to discover that we'd been upgraded to one of the Lighthouse Suites--as a gracious welcome back gift to the area. We had amazing service throughout our stay, and the F&B was actually pretty good. There are some nice dining options nearby, but it's not Manhattan or San Francisco!

And yes, the views onto the Inner Harbor were tremendous--and equally worthy as many of the best cities, IMO. My biggest issue was that all that glass created quite the sauna in the suite if you didn't adjust the thermostat--but it was a fantastic suite. I'll eagerly return whenever I'm back for family events or other reasons where I wouldn't be staying (or wanting to stay) with family. :-)

And let's judge the FS by the hotel and not by the city it's in--I think that's not particularly helpful. After all, anyone considering the FS Balto is likely needing to be in Balto and/or already knows the city's strengths/weaknesses. If you need or have to be in Balto, the FS is without question the best hotel property.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.