Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxe hotels in asia!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Luxe hotels in asia!

Going to Asia over the holidays (Christmas/New Years) this year have to decide on Hotels... has anyone stayed at the new Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong? How about the Island Shangri La? What about the Peninsula in Beijing? Also need a recommendation for Shanghai, was thinking new Peninsula on the Bund. Any advice is appreciate? Thanks...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: *, 1W
I haven't stayed at the new RC in HKG but been there. Seems to be a very nice place, though for me personally, a bit too high . Island Shangri-La is one of my old favourites, though some say it's a bit dated these days. My personal choice in HKG would be the Four Seasons or the Intercontinental on Kowloon side, depending on which side of the harbour you prefer to stay.

Beijing: The Pensinsula is nice, although not stunning, if you don't want to or don't have to stay downtown, you might want to consider The Aman, Summer Palace. Something different.

Shanghai: Peninsula or Four Seasons.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
The RC in HK is really nothing special. Yes, the view is good and having the novelty of staying at the tallest hotel in the world is cool. But the rooms are nothing special (even a little cheap for the price they charge) and service is good but not excellent. I'd stick to the classic top hotels in HK for the time being.

I really like the style of the Park Hyatt in Shanghai (I like anything Tony Chi actually). But the service can be improved and the security and elevator change can be a pain at times. I've not stayed at the Peninsula but have been to a wedding there and the place looks great!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I don't like the RC Hong Kong at all, having seen the hotel in person. The interior design is typically one of those flashy new-money luxury hotels, full of excessively over-done interiors in poor taste. Also, it's very crowded now due to the novelty of being the highest hotel in the world. You may find yourself dining while others look over you and snap photos. Personally, I think the hotel is a disaster, decoration and design wise.

For Hong Kong, I will recommend Landmark Mandarin ( if you prefer boutique ) or Four Seasons Hong Kong. The latter being my all time favorite. Never stayed at the Shang before, their rooms are kind of small, but they do have a very nice club lounge.

For Shanghai, the Peninsula Shanghai is a great choice which you can't go wrong. I have stayed there many times. The rooms and suites are all beautifully appointed with the latest modern high-tech convenience. Service is also exemplary. I can't say that of the Park Hyatt although the rooms are just as nice as the Pen.

You should also consider the swanky new Wardolf Astoria and the historic but newly refurbish Fairmont Peace hotel while in Shanghai. Both looks really nice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 12, 2011 at 3:00 am
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I don't like the RC Hong Kong at all, having seen the hotel in person. The interior design is typically one of those flashy new-money luxury hotels, full of excessively over-done interiors in poor taste. Also, it's very crowded now due to the novelty of being the highest hotel in the world. You may find yourself dining while others look over you and snap photos. Personally, I think the hotel is a disaster, decoration and design wise.

For Hong Kong, I will recommend Landmark Mandarin ( if you prefer boutique ) or Four Seasons Hong Kong. The latter being my all time favorite. Never stayed at the Shang before, their rooms are kind of small, but they do have a very nice club lounge.

For Shanghai, the Peninsula Shanghai is a great choice which you can't go wrong. I have stayed there many times. The rooms and suites are all beautifully appointed with the latest modern high-tech convenience. Service is also exemplary. I can't say that of the Park Hyatt although the rooms are just as nice as the Pen.

You should also consider the swanky new Wardolf Astoria and the historic but newly refurbish Fairmont Peace hotel while in Shanghai. Both looks really nice.

Hope this helps.
As much as I dislike the shear idea of staying in Pudong, I visited the RC there last week and was thoroughly impressed. Amazing swimming pool and spa, in particular.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by moondog
As much as I dislike the shear idea of staying in Pudong, I visited the RC there last week and was thoroughly impressed. Amazing swimming pool and spa, in particular.
???? We are talking about the RC in Hong Kong. Not the one in Pudong, Shanghai.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BENLEE
???? We are talking about the RC in Hong Kong. Not the one in Pudong, Shanghai.
You might have been talking about the RC in HK, but I was talking about the newish one in Pudong.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
For Shanghai I would recommend the Park Hyatt. Until the RC HK opened, the PH in Shanghai was the tallest but if you do go for it, get a view or deluxe room, it's worth it.

I don't know what the views are like from the Peninsula but since it's on the Bund I would think that most of their rooms don't have a direct Bund view and in my opinion that's the best view for Shanghai. Of course, other than this, you can't go wrong with Peninsula.

Another vote for Four Seasons HK, the views from the club on the 45th floor are amazing plus it has an excellent open air swimming pool with views of the harbour,

Last edited by crystak; Jul 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.