What is your favorite hotel LOBBY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite hotel LOBBY?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I guess you mean the FS J Beach in Dubai (rather than DIFC).
Stayed there just last week and while I agree that it is beautiful, I have a preference for the StR Saadiyat Island (which looks like the twin brother of the FS) but its lobby is even more grand/luxurious (as is the whole hotel). Only the service at the FS is better.
Interesting observation, and totally agree re similarities in design. Especially the porte-cochère is almost the same. Although I much prefer FS DJB. StR Saadiyat is just too big, and designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates, while FS DJB is WATG & BAMO. Much more refined, the details are more elegant, has a warmer feeling to it and more intimate. The architecture of both properties is Mediterranean with Andalusian influences, hence your impression I guess. What sets FS apart are the details and as you said, the warm caring service.

Also the grounds are IMHO better designed, FS went for its typical resort design with the pools and lush exotic landscaping, while StR tried to pair the med architecture with minimalist pools, which doesn't work. Just have a good detailed look at the tiles of FS' pool and compare it to StR... says everything! Most of the mosaics at FS DJB are by Sicis, which is very high quality.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by scented
Interesting observation, and totally agree re similarities in design. Especially the porte-cochère is almost the same. Although I much prefer FS DJB. StR Saadiyat is just too big, and designed by Hirsch Bedner Associates, while FS DJB is WATG & BAMO. Much more refined, the details are more elegant, has a warmer feeling to it and more intimate. The architecture of both properties is Mediterranean with Andalusian influences, hence your impression I guess. What sets FS apart are the details and as you said, the warm caring service.

Also the grounds are IMHO better designed, FS went for its typical resort design with the pools and lush exotic landscaping, while StR tried to pair the med architecture with minimalist pools, which doesn't work. Just have a good detailed look at the tiles of FS' pool and compare it to StR... says everything! Most of the mosaics at FS DJB are by Sicis, which is very high quality.
Interesting comments, scented. After everything I've read on FT about both properties I expected to much prefer the FS, but my recent stay only highlighted the fact that I still prefer the StR (lobby, hallways, rooms, bathrooms, etc). What I liked about the FS is the service, the size and its clientele. But in the end for a beach resort the three most important aspects IMO (the views, the pools and the beach) are much better at StR Saadiyat (the quality of the tiles at FS JB notwithstanding), which to me easily remains the best beach resort of both Dubai and Abu Dhabi. (I mentioned these points when I had breakfast with the FS J Beach's GM and he agreed, saying that his property is more of an "Urban Resort" than a true beach resort.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The Roosevelt. NYC. Old school. Sprawling. Ornate almost garish. Great place to work as a digital nomad. Ironic for such a throwback
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
The lobby of the Four Seasons Lana'i is a true gem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.