What is your favorite hotel LOBBY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite hotel LOBBY?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 2:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I happen to be filled up on martinis just about everytime I pass it
+1
Old May 15, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by NYBanker
My tops are two in Paris.

FS-George V. I'm not a big flower guy, but what they do with flowers is truly special.

Plaza Athenee Paris. (mainly the lobby corridor lounge) It is a quintessential parisienne experience to have lunch there and watch the people.
Bravo NYB! Agreed. So true on the flowers. Never had lunch at Athenee, but have people watched with a drink that I nursed for about two hours! Fun!

This has been a GREAT thread so far. I knew our members would be superior for this and I knew we'd have a GREAT list!

Look forward to more listings.

Oh, almost forgot - Recently had a nice lobby experience at the Gaylord Texan near DFW. Lots of fireplaces and large leather chairs with ottomans to sit, sip a drink, and watch the southern Gentry check-in! It's not an "Opulent" lobby but it is grand - or at least large- and a nice lobby for lobby-sitting. The resort in general is typically Texan. The dome makes the hotel unique.

Last edited by RobbieRunner; May 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm
Old May 15, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Bravo NYB! Agreed. So true on the flowers. Never had lunch at Athenee, but have people watched with a drink that I nursed for about two hours! Fun!

This has been a GREAT thread so far. I knew our members would be superior for this and I knew we'd have a GREAT list!

Look forward to more listings.

Oh, almost forgot - Recently had a nice lobby experience at the Gaylord Texan near DFW. Lots of fireplaces and large leather chairs with ottomans to sit, sip a drink, and watch the southern Gentry check-in! It's not a "grand" lobby but nice to lobby-sit. The resort in general is typically Texan. The dome makes the hotel unique.

In that vein, the Driskill in Austin feels like great old-Texas.

Also, the Lanesborough comes to mind.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017
In that vein, the Driskill in Austin feels like great old-Texas.

Also, the Lanesborough comes to mind.
Forgot about the Driskill. Yes, great lobby!
Old May 15, 2011, 4:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Great thread. I'd add:

Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur -- sipping welcome drinks under that unbelievable dome.

The Savoy, London. Grand, luxurious, and comfortable all at the same time. Arguably the most successful element of the re-opening is the design of the public areas proceeding from the main entrance.

And if you consider the procession of spaces through which one arrives and checks in a "lobby," I'd throw in the Oberoi Udaivilas and the Four Seasons Langkawi, both of which provide such magical entrees to the hotel.

And a quick stab at the most disappointing: Four Seasons Provence, with its concrete bunker of a main building that reminded me of nothing so much as a primary school. Incredibly unappealing and aesthetically moribund.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
What a great thread! I thought it was just me who went agog at the sight of a brilliant lobby. Many times, especially when jetlagged you can easily overlook a beautiful lobby, so when one stands out- it really stands out.

Last year had my 1st visit to NYC. Although I didnt stay in either, I made time to check out the Waldorf Astoria and Plaza lobbies. The Savoy in London is Art Deco heaven. Also have encountered the Driskill in Austin. Very nice.

That said, nothing worse that a discrepancy between the lobby and your actual room. Checking in in a great lobby that makes you think your room will also be fantastic, only to find out its no better than a motel 6 is a huge disappointment.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Four Seasons Florence.. The courtyard with a Venetian Art is fantastic.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by NYBanker
FS-George V. I'm not a big flower guy, but what they do with flowers is truly special. ...
As it should be, given their investment. Over USD 1 million per year for buying flowers, and a full time flower arranger on staff. I suspect it is the largest flower budget of any hotel in the world and they have superb results for it.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Great thread. I'd add:

Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur -- sipping welcome drinks under that unbelievable dome.

The Savoy, London. Grand, luxurious, and comfortable all at the same time. Arguably the most successful element of the re-opening is the design of the public areas proceeding from the main entrance.

And if you consider the procession of spaces through which one arrives and checks in a "lobby," I'd throw in the Oberoi Udaivilas and the Four Seasons Langkawi, both of which provide such magical entrees to the hotel.

And a quick stab at the most disappointing: Four Seasons Provence, with its concrete bunker of a main building that reminded me of nothing so much as a primary school. Incredibly unappealing and aesthetically moribund.
Have you ever tried to sit in the Savoy and make a phone call or read the paper? It's hard to do with no less than three dozen staff members swarming around at all times, with nothing to do. Beautiful, but unpleasant lobby. Not that dissimilar from the Waldorf, in my eyes, actually.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
The Peninsula Hong Kong, especially for a quiet breakfast

The Inter-Continental Hong Kong, for the view

The Fairmont San Francisco, for the opulence (though it's a little dark and needs a refresh)

The Four Seasons Sayan
Old May 16, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Forgot to say that when the MO in SIN opened about 20 years ago I thought that was fantastic, maybe a little less so now check-in has moved downstairs
Old May 16, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Kowloon Shangri-La in Hong Kong is one of my favorites
It's big and glitzy for sure, but IMO it fails to make the most of the views
Old May 16, 2011, 5:45 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
The Four Seasons Sayan
I was thinking of this one, too. The bridge to the lobby which builds the suspense and then the "reveal" of that fabulous view over the gorge. Of course, it has been a long time but this is the way I remember it.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nba1017
The Four Seasons New York still astounds me, and I live ten blocks away.

The Peninsula Chicago is a lovely place to sit and people watch.

The Willard in DC, likewise.

Claridge's has a wonderful airy lobby, and when it's not full of tourists, is a nice place to sit.

Thanks for the Peninsula tip! I'll be in Chicago soon and will stay there. The lobby dining option on their website looks good. I can make a ham sandwich and coffee last 2 hours while lobby-sitting. This is a trick I picked up in France while Lobbying or sitting on the Champs and enjoying people-watching.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:21 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Not a standard reception, but since I read about FS Langkawi (agree it was a great way to arrive), I would also like to mention that arriving at FS Koh Samui was also quite spectacular. First there is the arrival pavillion with a fantastic view and then, further down, the reception area with huge comfortable round chair to lounge in while playing a game or just enjoying the view.

Another fantastic arrival was Amanjiwo where the driver made sure to park just where one can see Borobudur through the open "gate". Going though this gate the view was even better and the flower girls throwing rose petals were just soo sweet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.