Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxe but family friendly on a Thai beach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Hi, hoping for some suggestions for somewhere stunning in Thailand for a few days. I always like to try somewhere different - have been to Soneva Kiri, Trisara, Amanpuri, various Six Senses.....nowhere yet on Koh Samui or Krabi. Have been looking at Phulay Bay, Rayavadee and the Aleenta Villas Phuket. Don't really mind whether it's small and boutique or chain affiliated as long as it has a wow factor. I will also have a three year old in tow, so somewhere that is not honeymoon city would be good!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have been trying to find the same. we want to stay in a villa from 17 to 23 March, with a 2-year-old. Wouldn't like to pay more than 400-500 EUR/night ,tax and breakfast included.
At the moment I am falling for W Koh Samui, which has 3 for 2 offer, 16000 THB all-in per night. 163SQM villas, I've sent email with question, whether it includes outdoor area and how many sqm is indoor area.
If anyone has better ideas in Thailand in that price range for a villa, let us know.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Riya
Hi, hoping for some suggestions for somewhere stunning in Thailand for a few days. I always like to try somewhere different
Since you are looking for a place that is stunning and different, Rayavadee absolutely fits the bill. It is my favorite resort in Thailand, and I look forward to returning again soon this year.

It is very family friendly, and there are so many activities and excursions that can be arranged that would be enjoyable for the entire family.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

What about FS Langkawi? On a beach, very family friendly and at least very close to Thailand.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I've only been to Krabi, and only to Phulay Bay in terms of Thailand, but I can certainly highly recommend it. Service was unparalleled, food was excellent, activities (cooking class, visit to local markets and shops / town, fitness facilities, spa, pool, beach) were all great. I'd be careful about time of year you go to ensure you're there when the weather is best. I was there in the low season, and it was cheaper, but the weather was less than ideal. It was INCREDIBLY quiet there. I was literally the only person at dinner in the restaurants most of the night even though the resort was near half full. There were a couple couples with children and they were fine. I think the place is generally so quiet and what not that nobody would notice a few kids running around.

Anyhow, I'm glad to answer questions, just let me know. The villas were fantastic. I was in a Royal something or other. The only consideration I'd have in that villa was safety of the private plunge pool depending upon the child's age, and the bed (which is AMAZING and incredibly massive) is still only a single mattress, there didn't look to be a natural place for another bed in the room. But that bed is big enough for about 6 people, so I think you should be just fine.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:27 pm

Hi, hoping for some suggestions for somewhere stunning in Thailand for a few days. I always like to try somewhere different - have been to Soneva Kiri, Trisara, Amanpuri, various Six Senses.....nowhere yet on Koh Samui or Krabi. Have been looking at Phulay Bay, Rayavadee and the Aleenta Villas Phuket. Don't really mind whether it's small and boutique or chain affiliated as long as it has a wow factor. I will also have a three year old in tow, so somewhere that is not honeymoon city would be good!
Rayavadee is in a stunning location,has beautiful villas with private pools on Phranang beach and is a great resort for children.The Phranang villas have a butler assigned to each villa who will make sure your child is cared for day and night and stimulated with local interests if you wish. If your budget doesn't stretch to the Phranang villas there are other suitable suites,feel free to ask if you want more advice.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:01 pm

I agree that the Phranang villas at the Rayavadee are wonderful. If you don`t feel you need a villa though, you would be fine in one of the family pavilions, which have an additional bedroom on the ground floor.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, I love this forum!! I think Rayavadee sounds like it will fit the bill. The scenery looks stunning. The only thing which I was hesitant about is that I've read some reviews which suggest that (a) the food is mediocre and (b) the villas are a little dated. Dated doesn't worry me too much if they still have a great atmosphere - I don't need a minimalist masterpiece, but there's a difference if the rooms are worn or shabby.

FS Langkawi also a good suggestion but I'd prefer to be in Thailand as I have family there so will be doing some other travel too.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:23 pm

Thanks all, I love this forum!! I think Rayavadee sounds like it will fit the bill. The scenery looks stunning. The only thing which I was hesitant about is that I've read some reviews which suggest that (a) the food is mediocre and (b) the villas are a little dated. Dated doesn't worry me too much if they still have a great atmosphere - I don't need a minimalist masterpiece, but there's a difference if the rooms are worn or shabby.
For me the Rayavadee more than makes up for some of its slight shortcomings with its charm and incredibly beautiful setting. It is not shabby or worn, but it is ture that it is not going to be something like Trisara.

In my opinion the photo album on the Rayavadee's website provides a very accurate sense of the accommodations, natural setting, and facilities. If you like what you see in the photographs, then the resort is for you. As I said before, I love the place.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
For me the Rayavadee more than makes up for some of its slight shortcomings with its charm and incredibly beautiful setting. It is not shabby or worn, but it is ture that it is not going to be something like Trisara.

In my opinion the photo album on the Rayavadee's website provides a very accurate sense of the accommodations, natural setting, and facilities. If you like what you see in the photographs, then the resort is for you. As I said before, I love the place.
Thanks Mike. I love the photos. I also like something that has a sense of culture to it, rather than being an eponymous glamour resort which could be anywhere. I saw one of your earlier posts in which others had replied to you that the Hydro Pool Pavilions were better than the spa pavilions. Did you find that to be the case during your stay?

Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:20 am

I saw one of your earlier posts in which others had replied to you that the Hydro Pool Pavilions were better than the spa pavilions. Did you find that to be the case during your stay?
Actually, I ended up choosing a spa pavilion. The Hydro Pool Pavilions are all in the "Phranang Zone," which is an area close to Phranang beach that does not get as much sunlight as the area around the swimming pool and spa.

The Spa pavilion I stayed in was nestled right at the food of the cliff bordering the swimming pool. I found that location to be preferable to the location of the Hydro pool pavilions. Another factor for me was that I like the fact that the spa pavilions have outdoor jacuzzi tubs that are filled each time with fresh water.

If you take a family pavilion, the choice seems to be standard or Hydro Pool. If you choose a regular pavilion; you have the choice of standard, Hydro Pool, or Spa. Here is the map of the resort.

As I said, I prefer the spa pavilions that are located near the main swimming pool. Please feel free to pm me any time if you have any more questions.

Cheers

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 17, 2011 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.