Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:01 pm

Holiday decor

We will be there Dec 7-9 will decorations be up and then departing on a cruise.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Decorations are up by November , latest . Prototypes are often up by September/ October

Enjoy !!

Depends on what are holidays happen to be around a similar time , as these follow the lunar calendar so fall on varying dates annually .
For instance , sometimes the decorations & festivities are happening in other parts of Singapore like in Little India - the lights , etcetera might still be up for Deepavali .

If one has to be in SE Asia then , Singapore will be best .

Haven't stayed at the RC for many years so your stay was more recent ( but FS visit was last week ) .
Prefer FS location . Singapore is small enough anyway !

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 9, 2016 at 3:38 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Decorations are up by November , latest . Prototypes are often up by September/ October
Local supermarkets here are going to offer christmas cookies soon

Personally, I don't get into Christmas mood in Singapore, just as I fail to get it in Melbourne. It's great to be outside without three layers, but somehow, Christmas for me means cold, white weather.. (I'll still go to SIN in a heartbeat to enjoy everything else, but not Christmas stuff )
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:36 am

4Season hotel

Has anyone stayed there as I said we stayed at RC the last time but thought about their offer
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LillianJ
We will be back in Dec and loved the RC but thought about the Fours Seasons as they keep sending me stuff.
Not sure about location and pool as well as rooms.
I had some serious service omissions at the FS (like them forgetting to clean my room one day!). But location is fine, there is a back passageway through the Hilton that exits and enters directly on Orchard.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:46 am

FS Singapore might be the worst in the brand. Even SF is better.

Service is good but rooms are extremely old and pool is subpar
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee

I don't even consider this a FS anymore. The hotel itself is frightful. GM Antoine Chahwan values good service and has quite a bit of experience (although previous stints included Macau and Sydney, which themselves don't quite make it onto my list of favored...), but still he didn't quite get it right.

It is funny how an extremely well-run city-state like Singapore can have one of the best, if not the best, airline in the world for service -- yet completely fails to have one solid luxury hotel there.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Nah, as bad as Singapore is, the FS Westlake Village is way worse. And the Chinese restaurant at the FS Singapore is one of the best of its kind at any FS. Of course you can stay at another hotel and dine at the FS.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
That's a low blow. FS Singapore, as poor as it is, is not in competition with FS Sydney or FS Westlake Village for the lowest position.

Off topic, but FS SF now looks and feels like a prison. They have cut the budget to the extent that they can't even afford decorative vases stuffed with sticks, let alone flowers. It is very creepy. When you arrive at the lobby from the ground floor, you get the same sort of vibe that you get when entering a DMV.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Nah, as bad as Singapore is, the FS Westlake Village is way worse. And the Chinese restaurant at the FS Singapore is one of the best of its kind at any FS. Of course you can stay at another hotel and dine at the FS.

Enjoy !!

Depends on what are holidays happen to be around a similar time , as these follow the lunar calendar so fall on varying dates annually .
For instance , sometimes the decorations & festivities are happening in other parts of Singapore like in Little India - the lights , etcetera might still be up for Deepavali .

If one has to be in SE Asia then , Singapore will be best .

Haven't stayed at the RC for many years so your stay was more recent ( but FS visit was last week ) .
Prefer FS location . Singapore is small enough anyway !

Originally Posted by scented
I don't even consider this a FS anymore. The hotel itself is frightful. GM Antoine Chahwan values good service and has quite a bit of experience (although previous stints included Macau and Sydney, which themselves don't quite make it onto my list of favored...), but still he didn't quite get it right.

It is funny how an extremely well-run city-state like Singapore can have one of the best, if not the best, airline in the world for service -- yet completely fails to have one solid luxury hotel there.
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That's a low blow. FS Singapore, as poor as it is, is not in competition with FS Sydney or FS Westlake Village for the lowest position.

Off topic, but FS SF now looks and feels like a prison. They have cut the budget to the extent that they can't even afford decorative vases stuffed with sticks, let alone flowers. It is very creepy. When you arrive at the lobby from the ground floor, you get the same sort of vibe that you get when entering a DMV.
The public areas , restaurants are decent enough as was the 10 floor suite . The Chinese restaurant is one of the best in Singapore , as is RC ' s

The FS is owned but isn ' t managed by Singaporeans unlike SIA
Yes , too many " nice " hotels but none at Aman standard , even if AZ did for a bit get involved in some . Him living in Singapore doesn't / hasn't translated into anything
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by scented
SIA is government owned and a showpiece of the nation, similar to the likes of Etihad or Qatar Airways. The government would never let it deteriorate, or allow any criticism (e.g. by local media) against it for that matter.

The government has no stake or interests in any luxury hotels in the state, so they will be run according to the general service standards in Singapore-- i.e. quite poor, sloppy, inside the box and a general "not my job" type attitude. You can build an amazing looking hotel in Singapore but service will never be at the level as you get in some other Asian countries.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:01 am

I've had great service in many Singaporean hotels. As usual, many of those "showing off" on the outside are poor inside, while those having great management can offer great services without being noticed from outside much.

I'm rarely nowadays going for 5* hotels in Singapore, as well-managed 4*'s do offer so much more "bang for your buck". Stars aren't everything..

That includes many things, from lounge offerings to breakfast buffets.

Singapore isn't great in the "splurge" area, but there are quite some good offerings in the solid 4* Superior segment.

For a real "Luxury" Hotel, indeed look elsewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by staff
SIA is government owned and a showpiece of the nation, similar to the likes of Etihad or Qatar Airways. The government would never let it deteriorate, or allow any criticism (e.g. by local media) against it for that matter.

The government has no stake or interests in any luxury hotels in the state, so they will be run according to the general service standards in Singapore-- i.e. quite poor, sloppy, inside the box and a general "not my job" type attitude. You can build an amazing looking hotel in Singapore but service will never be at the level as you get in some other Asian countries.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I've had great service in many Singaporean hotels. As usual, many of those "showing off" on the outside are poor inside, while those having great management can offer great services without being noticed from outside much.

I'm rarely nowadays going for 5* hotels in Singapore, as well-managed 4*'s do offer so much more "bang for your buck". Stars aren't everything..

That includes many things, from lounge offerings to breakfast buffets.

Singapore isn't great in the "splurge" area, but there are quite some good offerings in the solid 4* Superior segment.

For a real "Luxury" Hotel, indeed look elsewhere.
+1

Raffles used to be locally owned with some convoluted government stake until some smart Alec sold if off , downhill since and haven't returned to stay .

Pity SLA lumped the 3 different wings as one hotel . Otherwise , Valley on her own would have been a proper 5 :-:

Had hopes for Capella but ..

Service at some boutique hotels or fewer stars are better
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Service at some boutique hotels or fewer stars are better
And, as we've said earlier, Club guests at the MO and RC enjoy a rather fine hotel experience. If you are in a Club suite, you won't find too much to complain about.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
And, as we've said earlier, Club guests at the MO and RC enjoy a rather fine hotel experience. If you are in a Club suite, you won't find too much to complain about.
Yes , if only MOHK service ( where there is no Club ) can be replicated in all MO Singapore & similarly for all of RC , not just Club !
Can keep hoping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.