Best place to stay in Istanbul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stay in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by best
Currently the park Hyatt is only as low as $166 some nights. Would you pay such rate, or use GP Points?
The Istanbul market is really suffering right now, very sad -- all the incidents lately and a country run by a lunatic.

Due to this I see much more flexibility in rates these days. Park Hyatt is at an all-time low, FS has lower entry level rates but is trying to protect their Palace Bosphorus category for now. Upgrades tend to happen more often.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:37 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Valveking
Easy choice. Pay cash.
Especially if that is a flexible 'best available rate" that would be bookable with FHR/Virtuoso etc. Breakfast and 100USD F&B credit I believe for both programs
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thank you. Will pay $.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:57 am

Raffles vs Park Hyatt

Any thoughts on Raffles vs Park Hyatt?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Leopardz
Any thoughts on Raffles vs Park Hyatt?
Never stayed at Raffles, but loved our stay at the PH in Oct 2014. Our TripAdvisor review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ECK_RATES_CONT

If we were to return, we'd have to consider the St Regis over the PH, since it's brand new and just a block away. (And I'm Plat100!) We loved that area--it was right next to the city's best shopping. It also was just 10-15 min drive into the tourist area in the morning and only 20-30 min train ride back even at rush hour. And it's only 10-15 min to any of the best restaurants in town. The FS Bosphorus was just a 5 min taxi ride.

The Raffles is another 10-15 minutes north of the PH/StR. So we would prefer the area around the PH/StR.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 10, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:01 pm

St Regis there was incredible. One of our top hotel stays of last year.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:27 am

Thanks for your feedback bhrubin and aa213bb.

For the period I am looking at, Park Hyatt is EUR 205 per night while St. Regis is EUR 389. Since I am planning to stay for around a week, is paying EUR 184 extra a day worth it for the St. Regis? Over a week that comes out to nearly EUR 1,300 which could probably be well spent on very nice dinners and drinks . Appreciate your thoughts!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Leopardz
Thanks for your feedback bhrubin and aa213bb.

For the period I am looking at, Park Hyatt is EUR 205 per night while St. Regis is EUR 389. Since I am planning to stay for around a week, is paying EUR 184 extra a day worth it for the St. Regis? Over a week that comes out to nearly EUR 1,300 which could probably be well spent on very nice dinners and drinks . Appreciate your thoughts!
We stayed at the PH many many years ago... it remains one of our best PH stays ever.. it's very good; the area it's in is very European feeling... I wouldn't play extra for the St Regis unless I was booking a true suite.. while the Park Terrace suites at the PH look fantastic, the Park Suites/Spa suites are a little disappointing as far as a suite goes (the former being dark, the latter not being a true suite).....

FDW
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

raffles finally did massive rate drops on some suites

Originally Posted by aa213bb
St Regis there was incredible. One of our top hotel stays of last year.
sounds like a winner, including low season suite rates

wherever - ask about upgrades (incl discount) at checkin

PH one of many where even top suite has come down

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 11, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
all 3 are excellent hotels, if you can't stay in fs bosphorus or ciragan palace.

out of all 3 i would go st regis, raffles than ph, but this does not make ph bad at all. just personal preference.

i personally think if you want an iconic istanbul hotel and a memorable stay go with fs bosphorus, ciragan or fs sultanahmet. the 3 hotels you mention will all be very good, but they won't really give you a sense of how special istanbul is.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
We stayed at the PH many many years ago... it remains one of our best PH stays ever.. it's very good; the area it's in is very European feeling... I wouldn't play extra for the St Regis unless I was booking a true suite.. while the Park Terrace suites at the PH look fantastic, the Park Suites/Spa suites are a little disappointing as far as a suite goes (the former being dark, the latter not being a true suite).....

FDW
I concur that the PH Istanbul is one of the best PH stays we've ever enjoyed. I don't think you can go wrong by staying there, and our stay was in Oct 2014. We were very impressed and really loved our stay. Food/beverage and service were to a very high standard here. Our Executive Park Terrace Suite was fantastic.

I absolutely agree that the Park/Spa suites at the PH are less desirable...and not even real suites. They are darker than I'd prefer. If comparing those with other hotels, I'd look elsewhere.

We despised the Kempinski Ciragan--as the beautiful palace building had mostly suites that were ridiculously overpriced, and the main building was ugly beyond measure.

We weren't overly impressed with the FS Bosphorus, actually. We found the Bosphorus view rooms and suites obscenely overpriced for what you go, and we weren't fans of the more formal ambience and marble showcase. The FS Sultanahmet was a much more intimate and beautiful property in our view, but we didn't love the location beyond its convenience for touring the major sites (which we did in a day!). The FS Sultanahmet was also very expensive and not totally worth it in our view. But between the two, we'd take the FS Sultanahmet.

If we were to return, we'd almost certainly choose the St Regis. But it sounds like the StR, PH, and Raffles are all worthy contenders.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We weren't overly impressed with the FS Bosphorus, actually. We found the Bosphorus view rooms and suites obscenely overpriced for what you go, and we weren't fans of the more formal ambience and marble showcase. The FS Sultanahmet was a much more intimate and beautiful property in our view, but we didn't love the location beyond its convenience for touring the major sites (which we did in a day!). The FS Sultanahmet was also very expensive and not totally worth it in our view. But between the two, we'd take the FS Sultanahmet.
I had a split stay at FS Bosphorus and FS Sultanahmet recently, and I definitely preferred the latter for the reasons you mentioned. Even though both are historical buildings, FS Sultanahmet just felt much more charming and atmospheric. FS Bosphorus was beautiful, but the decor felt more generic and forgettable. The best thing about FS Bosphorus was the very impressive pools.

I found the entry-level rates (around $300/night) for both properties very reasonable, but I visited after the tourism decline in Istanbul. The rooms were a decent size for a city hotel, but I agree that the Bosphorus view rooms (not even getting into suites) are extortionately priced. For a room roughly the same size as the entry-level one but with a view of the Bosphorus, it would have been $1,300/night. That's on par with the entry-level rate at the most expensive hotels in Paris.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The rooms wirh view at FS Bosporus were always priced in a way you thought you buy the room......
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

low supply impacts rates, and they vary >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
10 palace bosphorus room
9 palace bosphorus suite (multiple room categories)

palace bosphorus rooms
1110 is larger corner with taller windows
1109 and 03 are larger
only 10 of that particular category of room
very few city hotels have similar situation
MO BKK: 14 state rooms, $940 very high for BKK

FS has advance discount, likely discount at checkin

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
The best thing about FS Bosphorus was the very impressive pools.

entry-level rate at the most expensive hotels in Paris.
similar (riverfront) rooms and facilities arent in paris etc, but >

Originally Posted by tcmb99
if you can't stay in fs bosphorus or ciragan palace.

iconic istanbul hotel and a memorable stay go with fs bosphorus, ciragan or fs sultanahmet. the 3 hotels you mention will all be very good, but they won't really give you a sense of how special istanbul is.
some always stay on river/harbor/ocean/etc
others dont care re view/location/style/history

includes map of luxury hotels & boutique hotels >
kiwicollection.com/luxury-hotels/europe/turkey/marmara/istanbul

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I agree that some people prefer location or room quality over other things. I make the same choice all the time. I also usually advise people to stay out of Sultanahmet area and just do daily visits.

but if this is OPs first time going I thought they should consider staying in one of the more significant buildings to get a feeling of the city. Being on the Bosphorus and having breakfast with the view or in an old Istanbul prison is part of that feeling.

As I said all of the other 3 hotels are very good hotels, I could probably add a few more to that list, they just aren’t special in any way.

one last advice. Avoid shangri-la

bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.