Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mansion on Turtle Creek or Ritz Carlton Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Mansion on Turtle Creek or Ritz Carlton Dallas

I have never stayed at the Mansion. I have always feared it would be too formal. I've stayed at the Ritz in a club floor room and really enjoyed the food/drinks in the club room, but I do find the room decor a little formal and boring.

I noticed that I can get a room at the Mansion ($180) for about 1/2 the price of a club level room at the Ritz ($350).

I want a nice relaxing, not too formal place to rest, read and maybe a little spa time.

I usually stay at the Palomar (which I really enjoy) but I was thinking about kicking it up a notch this week.

My 19 yo will be with me one night. I know he would enjoy the pool and workout facility at the Ritz. How does the Mansion compare?

Also what's the dress code for dinning at the Mansion?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Never been to any of em, but what about FS Dallas?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

The FS is in Las Colinas/Irving, not Dallas and is more of a golf resort than a city Hotel. It is newly refurbished and better than before but has always been one of my least favorite FS.
dan
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
I haven't been to the Mansion since the refresh was completed; the hotel is nice but the location is poor - you need to drive to get anywhere. On the other hand, as you know the Ritz is well located in an interesting area for a 19 year old. So that would be my vote - with or without the club floor -- - and check to see what's going on at the American Airlines Center, which is an easy walk from the hotel.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Stayed at the Mansion a few times quite some years ago. Service was excellent and discreet. It's a bit like staying in a lovely private home.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
Stayed at the Mansion a few times quite some years ago. Service was excellent and discreet. It's a bit like staying in a lovely private home.
with no mini-bars!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:09 pm

How are you getting into the mansion for $180? . Lowest rate i have ever seen there is $300 or so.

I will concur that the mansion is way too formal for my style, but if you are looking to be seen, (like a lot of people I seem to meet / know ) from Dallas, this is the place.

The service is very "rosewood"
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
with no mini-bars!
Er, I never use mini-bars unless it's complimentary. I am teetotal.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
How are you getting into the mansion for $180? . Lowest rate i have ever seen there is $300 or so.

I will concur that the mansion is way too formal for my style, but if you are looking to be seen, (like a lot of people I seem to meet / know ) from Dallas, this is the place.

Hasn't the Mansion, along with the restaurant, been given a makeover the last few years? Did it make it a little more contemporary in its appearance?

What does the last part mean?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:55 am

Er, I never use mini-bars unless it's complimentary. I am teetotal.
I'm not talking about the need for alcohol. I only use mini-bars for chilled water, which is often useful in the middle of the night when you wake up, jet-lagged. I don't want to have to phone room service/butlers when I am half asleep. That's why I want a mini-bar.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:00 pm

I see. Maybe a bucket of ice with a chilled/half frozen bottle delivered to your room before you sleep?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:15 pm

I see. Maybe a bucket of ice with a chilled/half frozen bottle delivered to your room before you sleep?
I think a minibar with a selection of chilled water or whatever your chilled refreshment of choice is would make ones stay more enjoyable than a bucket of ice with a half frozen bottle of water delivered before you sleep.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:37 am
Original Poster

We ended up staying at the Ritz. It was fine, or course, and my 19yo loved the pool and workout room but overall the stay was a little disappointing. We stayed on the club floor in a double room. The room was fine but there are no corner doubles at this property and the room was pretty standard luxury hotel room, very nice but not nearly as nice or spacious as the corner rooms, and the bathroom had no window.

The one night we chose to use "the sedan", the Bentley, we were told that the service stops at 9pm, which seems a little early, so we took a cab.

The food in the Club Room was fine but the exact offerings were repeated the next day. So after one day it is pretty boring. Also after 8pm the only offerings are dessert and cordials, not even chips and salsa.

The wait for our car was prety lenghty several times while 3 of the door men and valets stood around talking about their vacation and nights of partying...
seemed pretty unprofessional.

The highlight was a day at the spa. Absolutely the best massage and facial of my life by Leslie. She is a miracle worker. We were the only ones in the spa for 3 hours. The attendant was sick and didn't show up for work that day so we had the run of the place and it was very, very relaxing. I can't recommend Leslie's massage and facial enough.

At checkout there was some confusion about a spa credit that was part of the package. It was handled pretty quickly but the woman at checkout seemed a little annoyed and commented that she couldn't wait to get off work. Once again pretty unprofessional as I'm paying her a few thousand bucks for a hotel stay.

Adan and Patrick in the Club Room, Leslie at the spa were great. There attitude and professionalism were the level that you expect and pay for at a property like the Ritz. The rest of the staff seemed indifferent or pre-occupied at best.

I will stay at the Ritz again but I doubt I will use the club room after the same boring food. I will also know that if I want to use "the sedan" to be sure to get out before 9pm and I will ALWAYS book a corner room.

But for my next stay in Dallas I will either try the Mansion or return to the Palomar for less money and a friendlier staff.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
d
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meFIRST

I was tipped off by a friend that he had booked the Mansion via Hotwire as 5* downtown/uptown market center. The week we looked it was available for $189. Looks like today's rate is $225. FYI

One more complaint about the Ritz. Our in-the-mirror bathroom tv didn't work the last day. We reported it to house keeping but it was never addressed....
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have to say I'm very impressed with the RC Dallas.Very modern with a lovely lay out downstairs similar in style to the London four seasons.The bar is packed tonight and unusually for an r-c it's mainly a young funky Crowd.perhaps even more unusually it's got loud good music playing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.