Search

First trip to Asia,Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum
First trip to Asia,Hong Kong

Hello all,
This will be my wife and my first trip to Asia, going to Hong Kong for 9 days in June and want to stay in the best hotel with a harbour view.When traveling in Europe generally stay with FS and am looking closely at FS HK, Pen also an option at a little more $$..Will prob book with AMX Platinum Fine Hotel program for upgrades.Wife of course loves to shop more than anything, not sure which of these 2 properties would be best for first time in HK....
Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by cmtobin
Hello all,
This will be my wife and my first trip to Asia, going to Hong Kong for 9 days in June and want to stay in the best hotel with a harbour view.When traveling in Europe generally stay with FS and am looking closely at FS HK, Pen also an option at a little more $$..Will prob book with AMX Platinum Fine Hotel program for upgrades.Wife of course loves to shop more than anything, not sure which of these 2 properties would be best for first time in HK....
Thoughts?
You have to decide whether you want to stay on Hong Kong Island or Kowloon. On HK Island, the Four Seasons is, IMHO, the best option (there is a Lane Crawford in the adjoining mall - sop great for shopping). On Kowloon, The Peninsula, definitely.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum
Yes, I know that is my problem! Which side to stay on...
Suggestions?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
5 nights in one hotel, 4 nights in the other?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Yes, I know that is my problem! Which side to stay on...
Suggestions?
I say tomahto, you say tomeeto?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Hello all,
Thoughts?
This isn't a big issue. There is a subway that connects the two locations, but the FS is a bit of a walk from the station. The cost couldn't have been more than $1 and it didn't take more the 20 minutes or so. Last time I was in HK, I stayed at the Pen. I'll try the FS next time.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FSPP can book daily credit ($77 per day) package at FS. and full breakfast instead of continental. amenity is $100 spa credit. (same as FHR)

unfortunately suite 4th nt free ends mar 31.

* i was just able to use google cache to pull up FSPP amenities for americas and asia pacific, and saved them.

* anyone know how to force html version on pen site?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
You might also check the InterContinental Hong Kong (the former Regent Hotel) which is located on the edge of Victoria Harbour.

http://hongkong-ic.intercontinental....ic/index.shtml
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by francophile
5 nights in one hotel, 4 nights in the other?
VERY good suggestion!^
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
During your stay, I would suggest staying on Hong Kong Island on weekdays and in Kowloon on weekends. Hong Kong Island is dead on weekends but bustles incredibly on weekdays.

I would avoid the Four Seasons in HK like the plague. It's a generic hotel that could equally be anywhere in the USA --- absolutely no character. Service there is also seriously lacking. I'd highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental instead.

In Kowloon, I would echo the recommendation for the Intercontinental Hotel. Absolutely stunning views. The Peninsula is a train station filled with tourists.

Last edited by Braniff; Mar 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
During your stay, I would suggest staying on Hong Kong Island on weekdays and in Kowloon on weekends. Hong Kong Island is dead on weekends but bustles incredibly on weekdays.

I would avoid the Four Seasons in HK like the plague. It's a generic hotel that could equally be anywhere in the USA --- absolutely no character. Service there is also seriously lacking. I'd highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental instead.

On Kowloon, I would echo the recommendation for the Intercontinental Hotel. Absolutely stunning views. The Peninsula is a train station filled with tourists.
Ohhh! I cannot disagree more, Braniff. Yes, good idea about staying on HK Island during the week and Kowloon at weekend, but to say that FS HK could be anywhere and that service is seriously lacking? Sounds as though we stay in different hotels!

As for The Pen, the lobby certain buzzes with people, but it is hardly a train station and service, food and accommodation here is excellent.

My experience of the InterCon, post Regent, has been dreadful - very poor, arrogant service. I am also not taken with MO these days since they got rid of the balconies.

The views from FS HK are spectacular, unlike at MO.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont recall mixed service reports for FS. perhaps its like LMO, with just a few negative.

OTOH IIRC pen and MO are both mixed here (as was RC) and service is not the key for IC.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Braniff
I have to disagree also. Not discounting your experience, Four seasons is consistently my favourite, having stayed there since 2006 several times a year, I would say the service is consistently excellent and I have never encounter any cases where it's seriously lacking. The MO service is good too but rooms are small and claustrophobic unless you book their suites.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I do not like the lobby at Pen at all.....always feel like a marketplace, but their harbor view suites are definitely worth paying for, great view at night.

Service I experienced at FS was excellent though
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Ohhh! I cannot disagree more, Braniff. Yes, good idea about staying on HK Island during the week and Kowloon at weekend, but to say that FS HK could be anywhere and that service is seriously lacking? Sounds as though we stay in different hotels!

As for The Pen, the lobby certain buzzes with people, but it is hardly a train station and service, food and accommodation here is excellent.

My experience of the InterCon, post Regent, has been dreadful - very poor, arrogant service. I am also not taken with MO these days since they got rid of the balconies.

The views from FS HK are spectacular, unlike at MO.

vuittonofstyle - we have different views !!!

I stayed once at the Four Seasons in HG with my wife when the M-O was closed for renovations.

Our experience was bad from the very beginning.

First, our room rate went up during our stay as I was well aware of. However, the check-in staff were so concerned that the rate printed on the slip with my key folder only showed the lower rate that they printed out the rate for our stay and made me sign it. They did this in a very condescing and obnoxious manner.

Second, we were in a one bedroom suite and it was not up to standards. There was a lightbulb out - how incredibly telling about the overall service levels at the hotel. The electric curtains did not work and a crew of 3 people spent over an hour fixing it. And the toilet in the second bathroom overflowed upon its first use.

This was our experience and I would never stay there again and I advice everyone to do likewise.

And I stand by my thought that this hotel could equally be at La Defense in Paris or Crystal City outside of Washington DC. No character.

As to the Pen, I agree that they have excellent restaurants. We loved Felix for example - but I still consider it a train station.

I agree that the Intercontinental's service is by no means perfect - but I would stay there again just for the view.

The M-O still tops my list of where to stay in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.