Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Hubertus
I am quite surprised to read the negative comments about Amantaka. Of course in Luang Prabang there are nice cosy properties on the riverside. But it is like comparing Amankila to one of the thousands "coconut villas" that litter Seminyak. Amantaka is grand (and I am obviously not talking about size). It has certainly the best ratio per host with respect to common areas, staff and facilities compared to any other properties in the city. It is a landmark from an architectural standpoint and it is not located in a slum. To me it's a blessing that Aman still focuses on destinations which have an added value in terms of culture and historical background. And, based on my experience, still nobody can make you taste the authentic flavour of a country with the plus of all the comforts like Aman does.
I'm quite surprised with the negative comments on Amantaka as well. I stayed there for 5 nights in summer '09 and really enjoyed my stay. Having just completed a stay at Amankila and Amandari, I look back on that stay at Amantaka and feel that the service was superior there than at either Amankila or Amandari. And I felt the design of the Khan suite was spectacular.

Now I wouldn't decide to stay at Amantaka purely for the resort in the same way that someone might decide to go to Amankila. But the town of Luang Prabang is so interesting and I loved the fact that Amantaka was integrated with it an not isolated like many luxury resorts. And both in terms of service and hardware, Amantaka is without question the nicest place in town.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JiangsuLu2002
I'm quite surprised with the negative comments on Amantaka as well. I stayed there for 5 nights in summer '09 and really enjoyed my stay. Having just completed a stay at Amankila and Amandari, I look back on that stay at Amantaka and feel that the service was superior there than at either Amankila or Amandari. And I felt the design of the Khan suite was spectacular.

Now I wouldn't decide to stay at Amantaka purely for the resort in the same way that someone might decide to go to Amankila. But the town of Luang Prabang is so interesting and I loved the fact that Amantaka was integrated with it an not isolated like many luxury resorts. And both in terms of service and hardware, Amantaka is without question the nicest place in town.
A Youtube report on Amantaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_OD...eature=related
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Amangani

We're in Amanpuri this Dec and thinking about Amangani for a visit this winter.
We've heard they're some distance from the JH ski area and are wondering if anyone has found it easy transport or difficult and should we consider 4 Seasons or Terra at the mountain?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Amangani Spa

Also, I've heard that their spa is less than optimal, although the pool and jacuzzi are magnificent. Thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:46 am

perspectives...

I wonder if it was the time of year I was in Luang Prabang.... I truly found Amantaka a substantial disappointment, and it sure seemed to me it was adjacent to a slum area on two sides. And in a flat, unexciting plot, with former hospital architecture that showed its insitutional origins. The rooms were all new then and seemed soulless and the celadon colors dull and lifeless. The layout of the rooms was like all the other Amans I've seen as well. And yes, plumerias in the bath tub, of course.

There are quite a few very elegant, private guesthouses along the Mekong that are very similar in room style to Amankila but larger and better designed. I think you may need to be introduced to reserve there but they seem popular with well- to-do-Japanese.

Anyway, glad people are enjoying wherever they decide to stay.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Fantastic Amantaka

First I must state, that in contrary to Chamade's report, that there is definitely no "slum" next to Amantaka. There is no slum at all at Luang Prabang - of course Laos is no rich country, but there are regular local roads and regular local houses.

Our stay at Amantaka last January was magical: The beautiful gardens, which are lit at night with thousands of candles. The fantastic cuisine, better than at most other Amans. The Never-To-Forget private boat trip down the Mekong with food, drinks and the amazing Aman host, who was born in Luang Prabang and told us - in fluent english - highly interesting facts and stories about the magic and beautiful land around the river.

I highly recommend staying there!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by deer
First I must state, that in contrary to Chamade's report, that there is definitely no "slum" next to Amantaka. There is no slum at all at Luang Prabang - of course Laos is no rich country, but there are regular local roads and regular local houses.

Our stay at Amantaka last January was magical: The beautiful gardens, which are lit at night with thousands of candles. The fantastic cuisine, better than at most other Amans. The Never-To-Forget private boat trip down the Mekong with food, drinks and the amazing Aman host, who was born in Luang Prabang and told us - in fluent english - highly interesting facts and stories about the magic and beautiful land around the river.

I highly recommend staying there!
Glad you enjoyed your stay at Amantaka as much as I did last October. Magical is a true description. A nice little Asian town with great laid-back flair, friendly people and the absence of all those typical billboard signs of globalized businesses.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: some
Loved Luang Prabang as well but did not enjoy Amantaka as much as I would have liked for that kind of money. Would return to LP but would not stay at Amantaka again but would prefer to stay somewhere by the river. Just my $0.02
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:54 pm

Rashomon at Amantaka

Well, the two opinions above seem to confirm that reality varies considerably depending on one's expectations, tastes, preferences, background and past experiences. It's like... "Rashomon Goes to Aman".
Amantsumaran?

But vive la difference, non? That's what makes travel so innately educational. One person's semi-slum is another person's housing project, the same little town can be tacky and touristy to some (St. Emilion outside Bordeaux, Victoria Island off Vancouver, etc. come to mind here) but for whatever reasons charming to others, and food as we know can give different people different impressions as well.

Interesting.

Thanks for the diversityof commentary, everyone.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:09 am

My last few minutes at Aman Delhi. The staff is stellar!!! Really outstanding. Aman at its best. Wanna kidnap them all and bring them to Milan. :-)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Hubertus
My last few minutes at Aman Delhi. The staff is stellar!!! Really outstanding. Aman at its best. Wanna kidnap them all and bring them to Milan. :-)

Thanks to Henry Gray who runs a great hotel! It does not matter what company he is working for, all of my experiences have been great when he and his wife Char are in charge. I would stay any place that they are running. Please, Hubertus, tells us more about your stay when you get settled in back home.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by zigzag
Thanks to Henry Gray who runs a great hotel! It does not matter what company he is working for, all of my experiences have been great when he and his wife Char are in charge. I would stay any place that they are running. Please, Hubertus, tells us more about your stay when you get settled in back home.
+1^
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: LH-SEN, BA-G, HH-Diamond, PC-Diamond, Marriot-G
Question Amanjiwo falling apart !?

I am currently staying at the Amanjiwo (which on balance is a very good thing). When lounging at the pool, all of a sudden part of the brick facing next to the pool came crashing down - luckily into a flowerbed, so there was no chance of someone getting hurt .

While I am not exactly an Amanjunkie, I really do like the Amans. Although on days like this, I like the software more than the hardware. While I appreciate it is certainly not an easy feat to build a hotel like the Amanjiwo in such a remote place (ok, still easier than building the Begawan Giri ), sometimes I get the impression that while the Amans are very well maintained, they lack investment in refurbishments. And the concrete exposed under the pool crescent did not inspire great trust in build quality.

Oh, of course the he best thing about the event was an English lady's wry comment, well "that would explain a thing ot two about the Borobudur ruins"
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: LH-SEN, BA-G, HH-Diamond, PC-Diamond, Marriot-G
Originally Posted by fra_muc
When lounging at the pool, all of a sudden part of the brick facing next to the pool came crashing down - luckily into a flowerbed, so there was no chance of someone getting hurt .
They fixed the brick facing by today - true Aman spirit ^
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: thy miles and smiles, lufthansa miles and more
We will be in Amanpuri from 27th until 31st of August, anyone staying there during this time? It would be so nice to meet some flyertalkers in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.