Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Banyan Tree Mayakoba Review (with Video!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banyan Tree Mayakoba Review (with Video!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:27 pm
Original Poster
Banyan Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, *W Gold, Leader's Club (?worthless)
Originally Posted by peter11
I stayed at this property in March/April 2009 and I did not come away with the same feeling about the place....

While the rates that are being quoted in this thread sound very good indeed, I can not find a good reason to go back. I was given a certificate for a free night upon check out last time (due to some service snafu's) and I will not be using it.

My perspectives are based upon having stayed at a number of resorts in Asia (Amankila, FS Jimbaran, FS Sayan, Trisara, etc.). The only high end Mexican resort I have stayed at that I would consider (and I have not stayed at many) is Esperanza.
Hi peter11, thanks for your comments. I agree, Mayakoba is not for everyone. The Bali and Phuket resorts you mention are fantastic, and you do get a lot for your $ there. One reason I do like Mayakoba is because I can take three or four days and get away from rainy Northern California in the middle of winter and relax in a fantastic resort with wonderful weather and a nice beach.

The experience in Asia might be much better to some, for sure. But I can't afford to take a week to ten days to travel that far for a winter getaway. I think that is one of the main value propositions of BTM: bringing the asian pool-villa concept within easy reach of Northern America. I think it does that extremely well.

BTW: if you aren't going to use the free night cert, I would love to take it off your hands . Please PM me!

Cheers,

ether
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, *W Gold, Leader's Club (?worthless)
Originally Posted by Tanyam99
Ether - what a superb review. Thank you for this - we are going to BT Mayakoba late March for a week and I am even more excited about it now!
Totally agree re Azul at MO Miami too - had a very memorable dinner there only 2 nights ago.
Azul..mmm.... Need to find an excuse to get back to Miami

I hope you will like BTM as much as I did. Everyone's needs are different, but I did enjoy myself immensely on both stays. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Try to stay in a Spa Pool Villa if you are going as a couple, it is worth it!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by ether
Hi peter11, thanks for your comments. I agree, Mayakoba is not for everyone. The Bali and Phuket resorts you mention are fantastic, and you do get a lot for your $ there. One reason I do like Mayakoba is because I can take three or four days and get away from rainy Northern California in the middle of winter and relax in a fantastic resort with wonderful weather and a nice beach.

The experience in Asia might be much better to some, for sure. But I can't afford to take a week to ten days to travel that far for a winter getaway. I think that is one of the main value propositions of BTM: bringing the asian pool-villa concept within easy reach of Northern America. I think it does that extremely well.

BTW: if you aren't going to use the free night cert, I would love to take it off your hands . Please PM me!

Cheers,

ether
Actually, you have put it into perspective ether. If you can get the experience you describe or close to it, near home then of course you go for it.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Well, I understand the relative convenience of Mayakoba. It's still not enough for me to consider it. If I had to nail it down to only one reason I'd say the fact that resort is not really on the beach with no beach views (aside from the huge and expensive 3 bedroom units) is the deal breaker.

I just peaked at the new BT room photos for the Acapulco property and the views there make it much more interesting to me.

I just pulled out that certificate....it's actually for 2 nights. I am not sure what category Pancho would say it's for. We were in a two bedroom sunrise pool villa. I had assumed it was for equivalent accommodations. Make me an offer?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I just cobbled together footage I took of a walk through of the Spa Pool Villa and threw in some footage of the beach at the end so folks can get an idea of what the beach is like and if it will suit their needs.

Click here to view the video (beach footage is at the end).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

I just peaked at the new BT room photos for the Acapulco property and the views there make it much more interesting to me.

I just pulled out that certificate....it's actually for 2 nights. I am not sure what category Pancho would say it's for. We were in a two bedroom sunrise pool villa. I had assumed it was for equivalent accommodations. Make me an offer?
I'll take some photos for you of Cabo Marques. I'll be there opening week in March! I'll PM you about the certs.

Cheers,
ether
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ether
I'll take some photos for you of Cabo Marques. I'll be there opening week in March! I'll PM you about the certs.

Cheers,
ether
I am curious to see what you think of the Acapulco property. When I looked at the rates this evening, the only room category I could find that is offered (no matter which dates I put in) is an Ocean View Pool Villa. The rates, however, at $610-$690 sound like they might be attractive. Do you have any further info about the resort? Does it have a beach? The website seems incomplete.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

I am curious to see what you think of the Acapulco property. When I looked at the rates this evening, the only room category I could find that is offered (no matter which dates I put in) is an Ocean View Pool Villa. The rates, however, at $610-$690 sound like they might be attractive. Do you have any further info about the resort? Does it have a beach? The website seems incomplete.
The website isn't very complete. I was able to find an online brochure here. The Ocean View Pool Villa is much smaller than BTM (187 sq meters vs. 322 sq meters), and the description I got from my booking confirmation says:

"Suitable for up to two guests, each of the 187 sqm Ocean View Villa offers splendid views of Puerto Marques Bay through shady age-old trees. Its large bedroom and spacious bathroom with separate tub and shower, invites natural light through its floor to ceiling windows. Each villa has its own 23 sqm heated pool, wooden sun deck and seating pavilion for dining or relaxation."

I believe they have ocean views, though I don't know what to make of the ocean view "through shady age-old trees".

I've emailed Pancho tonight about availability of other room categories (specifically interested in the Spa Pool Villa).

Overall, the villas seem smaller than BTM, not sure what else is different.

I believe the resort is built above the ocean, so there may not be direct beach access from the villas (but this is just speculation on my part). I'll post more when I know more.

Cheers,
ether
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:34 am

Peter11,

Where would you recommend instead thats close to the US?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mexican law is the problem, not property owners/developers. (limit on new beach frontage)

also, 2BR sunset lagoon villas are beachside.

considering rave reports from xracer and zigzag, it seems to me BT mayakoba is (currently) by far the best value outside of asia, and one of the best resorts as well.

having stayed at a number of resorts in Asia (Amankila, FS Jimbaran, FS Sayan, Trisara, etc.). The only high end Mexican resort I have stayed at that I would consider (and I have not stayed at many) is Esperanza.
= not known for beach. FS hualalai is the best regarded "beach" resort here. its not known for beach either. for the actual beach it would be amanpulo and FSLG.

IMHO if the service at BT mayakoba comes anywhere close to those, that would be an amazing accomplishment.

in mexico, las ventanas and FS punta mita were best regarded here. IIRC las ventanas is not known for beach either, in cabo only OO palmilla is swimmable, and esperanza gets mixed reports here. re cabo generally, it can be pretty expensive.

also re location, IMHO its a plus for punta mita being a gated peninsula, and mayakoba being a gated development.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 29, 2009 at 8:42 am
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by kmklint
Peter11,

Where would you recommend instead thats close to the US?

Hmmmm....I wrote a long post and it disappeared.....let's try this again....

Kage is right that the BT is a great value. At $700 for a two bedroom unit with pool it is the best value outside Asia. However, I did not find Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, or even the Banyan Tree architecture or beach special. The value proposition is not enough for me. Even a certificate for two free nights is not getting me to go.

Where is better? That's tough, as I do not think there is a competing property that offers as much in terms of the rooms themselves. For me I look for a resort that is special and ideally one that is in a special location too (tough combo).

Cabo is not a special place, although there are resorts there that deserve attention for a quick getaway I quite enjoyed Esperanza the three times I stayed there. It has a small but picturesque beach and the whole resort has a barefoot elegance that I really liked. Las Ventanas and Palmilla also are well reviewed although I think both are a bit more elegant than Espernaza.

If you have more travel time I'd look at Costa Rica (FS is well regarded though I have not been). If you have at least a week Bora Bora comes into play and the FS there is a good value at around $720 (with 5th night free and breakfast included).

Hawaii is a special place, though none of the resorts are a huge stand out in terms of quality. If you are going in the dry summer season I really like Hotel Hana Maui as a true getaway. The Sea Ranch Cottages are spacious and appear to have been nicely redone by the Post Ranch Inn folks (I have not been to Hana in quite a few years). The hotel has lot of faults (no beach in front for one) but the location and the place are truly special. The beach down the road from the hotel (with hotel services) is special although you do have to drive to it. The rooms are a good value too. On the other side of the island, I find the FS over priced and over rated, though it is probalby the best option. The old Sheraton Maui, however, has the best beach on the island albeit with Sheraton standards of quality.

On the Big Island I'd go to Mauna Kea simply because the beach is world class. But I like beaches. The hotel was just redone, although I believe the rooms are quite small.

I have yet to hear anyone echo my opinions of Mayakoba as not being a special place. Even if they do, it seems the majority of folks find the BT resort special enough to excuse Maya Riviera as a destination. Perhaps my opinions are too personal and not reflective of yours. That's my disclaimer anyway!

There are lots of folks here who are better qualified to answer your question and perhaps to put my views into perspective. Hopefully they will chime in too.

Last edited by peter11; Dec 29, 2009 at 9:42 am
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:30 am

I'll add that if you are east of the Mississippi you might consider these two places that have been talked about on this forum:

http://www.malliouhana.com/index.htm

http://www.horneddorset.com/home.html
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:51 pm

Stay 4 pay for 3

BTM is running a special stay 4 nights pay for 3 with breakfast, 90min massage, and $200 dollar resort credit. In a two bedroom sunrise villa it comes to $ 3429.00 and you still have the $200 dollars to spend on F&B. Kage can you link this up like you do so well?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.banyantree.com/resorts/ma...ay_4_pay_3.php
http://www.banyantree.com/resorts/ma..._advantage.php

zigzag's total price incl 27% tax and service

heh, im seeing it as a google ad here now.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 30, 2009 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:51 pm

Peter11

Thanks for your perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.