Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:29 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Awesome! There is little discussion about Amanwana on this forum (and in general in travel circles - it is definitely one of the more hidden and less popular properties) and I'd love to hear lots about it. Supposedly the diving is spectacular.
We are advanced open divers and went to Amanwana in May 2009. It was...less than impressive. The dive master was horribly unimpressive, as well. We left a day early.

I hope it's improved since then.

We'd only return for the live-a boards.
MicSanToro likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 18, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We are advanced open divers and went to Amanwana in May 2009. It was...less than impressive. The dive master was horribly unimpressive, as well. We left a day early.
Wow. Thanks for sharing. Everything I had seen/heard indicated it was a great area for diving, but I trust you and it definitely doesn't sound good. How was the property itself aside from the diving?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Everything I had seen/heard indicated it was a great area for diving, but I trust you and it definitely doesn't sound good. How was the property itself aside from the diving?
The tent was quite nice and spacious, but the air con wasn't what was promised at all. Yet they flew in 2 new air con units and a portable from other islands by the second day to improve it. It never got to the guaranteed temperature, but it was an impressive service effort. Ultimately, it wasn't worth staying after 2 days of dreadful diving (and one massive fail on the part of the dive master, which ended all interest for us in further diving) and not having really great air con, so they let us depart early and switch to Amanusa (and the Amanusa Villa) for our final nights.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:43 am

Just got back from Santa Marina Mykonos, heading to Santa Caterina Amalfi and Hotel Du Cap. Would love to fit in Il San Pietro too but sold out. Waldorf Jerusalem & Kempinski Singapore in October. Looking into Seychells + Mauritius + SA in Jan.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The tent was quite nice and spacious, but the air con wasn't what was promised at all. Yet they flew in 2 new air con units and a portable from other islands by the second day to improve it. It never got to the guaranteed temperature, but it was an impressive service effort. Ultimately, it wasn't worth staying after 2 days of dreadful diving (and one massive fail on the part of the dive master, which ended all interest for us in further diving) and not having really great air con, so they let us depart early and switch to Amanusa (and the Amanusa Villa) for our final nights.
I guess it's nearly impossible to really cool a tent down. A solid build villa is more suitable with such preferences in my eyes, but indeed great servic effort they tried. I just wonder why they didn´t make sure from the beginning. Perhaps they didn´t count in his Royal coldness
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Should have got you an Ice Igloo from Dubai Mall.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
So next confirmed trip is Bali.

Looks like it will be:
15-16 November: Alila Manggis (actually spending the entire day at Amankila after early lunch at Amanusa)
18-20 November: Amandari
20-23 November: Amanwana

I'm in Seminyak for a travel event from 11-14 November - actually keen to try out Katamama (trying to save a full stay at The Legian to combine with their resort in Lombok which actually should be open by then, but maybe I can do that next year instead).
There's a two night gap between 16-18 November I'm still trying to fill up that I'm having trouble with.
I'm really keen to check out Capella but was hoping to do a full 3 nights there (among others in the same boat including Mandapa, COMO Shambhala Estate, Alila Villas Uluwatu and more). Will likely go for a visit to Capella on this trip if I can squeeze it in.

Some other options:
  • Ametis Villa Resort in Canggu
  • Revivo Wellness Resort (a resort set within one of the Amanusa villas...)
  • COMO Uma Ubud - probably seems like the best option for a nice 2-night stay, except that it's also in Ubud (since I'm following it with Amandari).
Any where else that the forum wants reviewed/checked out? I'm trying to avoid south Bali (and in particular Seminyak, probably Jimbaran too) if possible - something unique/different would be interesting.
What do you mean by early lunch at Amanusa when it is no more ?!! Should stay at Kila instead .

Also Revivo Wellness Resort is separate with a restaurant serving healthy meals ( of course ) , part of it was formerly AZ ‘ s when it was Amanusa Villas . It shares the same gate & security under Aman Villas at Nusa and next to it . A different entity now with a rather “ modern “ take of what the villas were before , structures remain the same .

Do let us know when you have decided where to stay . If of any help , Mark S is now GM at Capella , ex Aman Indonesia & SS .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 18, 2019 at 9:38 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:11 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
JFK <-> LHR on BA 747, out in WTP and back in F. Traveling solely for the purpose of experiencing the nose of the 747 while it is still flying. First ever BA flight, and first ever international F flight. If I were London based I would have done F roundtrip ($2400!) but alas, had to hunt for some dates where F was a good deal. Looking forward to it (but not setting my expectations super-high for "the best business class in the world", plus I've read enough about BA on this forum! The CCR looks nice though)
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:29 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Awesome! There is little discussion about Amanwana on this forum (and in general in travel circles - it is definitely one of the more hidden and less popular properties) and I'd love to hear lots about it. Supposedly the diving is spectacular.

Viceroy Bali and Fairmont Sanur Beach. Both interest me a lot, but I don't hear all too much about them. Condé Nast (US) ranks the Viceroy very highly (though their rankings are definitely geared toward the average American traveller and less to those who frequent luxury hotels) so it would be interesting to see what you think. The Fairmont is never discussed, so again, it would be interesting to learn about it.

Enjoy your trip!
Very much looking forward to Amanwana! I'm no diver so unfortunately can't comment on that.

My colleague did Viceroy Bali already. I'll post up the review soon in one of the Bali threads. In short, very Balinese and definitely has the elements of a small, family run type place, gorgeous views, really good service, but hard product is a bit worn and needs improvement there. Food was good but very limited. They are adding new villas.

Fairmont Sanur probably not really relevant for this forum - there are a few other villa resorts in Sanur too.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
What do you mean by early lunch at Amanusa when it is no more ?!! Should stay at Kila instead .

Also Revivo Wellness Resort is separate with a restaurant serving healthy meals ( of course ) , part of it was formerly AZ ‘ s when it was Amanusa Villas . It shares the same gate & security under Aman Villas at Nusa and next to it . A different entity now with a rather “ modern “ take of what the villas were before , structures remain the same .

Do let us know when you have decided where to stay . If of any help , Mark S is now GM at Capella , ex Aman Indonesia & SS .
Lunch will be at Amanusa Villas (if there are any unoccupied ones). Will save KIla for a future trip once the villas are all done up.

Yes, curious to see what Revivo is like and maybe that's a good 2-night option.

I might do a day visit to Capella and Mandapa if time allows.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
I guess it's nearly impossible to really cool a tent down. A solid build villa is more suitable with such preferences in my eyes, but indeed great servic effort they tried. I just wonder why they didn´t make sure from the beginning. Perhaps they didn´t count in his Royal coldness
I did confirm in advance in writing that they could cool the tents to 68 F or lower at night. I knew daytime temps might be warmer, but I also knew I would need that guarantee for me to be comfortable at night. They made the guarantee for our May stay and then weren't quite able to deliver.

To his credit, the Amanwana GM acknowledged the guarantee without me saying much about it at all and immediately went to town to try and make it happen for us by the 2nd night. It always will rank as one--if not the absolute best example--of service recovery we'd ever witnessed: flying in 2 replacement air con units from Lombok and flying in a new portable air con unit (and cutting a hole in the tent for its exhaust). The net effect was to bring the overnight temperature from 78-79 F to 70 F or so, not as good as promised but still an amazing example of service recovery and effort.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
Looking very much forward to staying at and seeing the redo of Raffles in Singapore. Heading there next week.
Quoting myself... I know. I feel like Bob Dole.

Quick note: Raffles is BEAUTIFUL. It certainly warrants a new thread (or pulling up an old one).
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Ritz Carlton HK and Le Meridien Taipei next week
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:24 pm

Sometimes it makes sense to books things well in advance, especially cruises because prices can be cheaper and things can sell out and then you miss the trip you want. So in April 2021 we board the five-star French ship Le Soleal in Papeete, French Polynesia, and spend two weeks in the Tuamotus and Marquesas, followed by 10 days cruising the Austral Islands. One of those islands, Raivavae, is possibly the most beautiful island in the South Pacific.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 28, 2019 at 1:08 am
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
Quoting myself... I know. I feel like Bob Dole.

Quick note: Raffles is BEAUTIFUL. It certainly warrants a new thread (or pulling up an old one).
Thanks for the update. I'm hearing reports of the same. I cancelled my 4S reservation and replaced it with Raffles now.
BenjaminNicholas likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Zephyrous

Not really unfortunately. The island is so small that you will find everything within a day. Back in 2007 when I went for the first it was much quieter and the reason one went there was complete relaxation. Nowadays it’s really busy - but not unbearably so. There are some good day trips to be had however.

Naxos on the other hand is one of my favourite Greek islands. If you are there for a few days rent a car and explore it.
leaving Koufonisia tomorrow, it was FANTASTIC. Great place. Enjoyed Naxos as well 👍🏻. Any suggestions for other small, overlooked islands that are beautiful like Koufonisia? Never too early to start working on next summer 👍🏻

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Aug 29, 2019 at 12:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.