F1 Hotel in Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
F1 Hotel in Abu Dhabi

http://www.theyashotel.com/

new york based asymptote architecture is nearing completion of their yas hotel project,
in abu dhabi, uae. the yas hotel is a 500-room, 85,000-square-meter complex which is
due to open on october 30, 2009 to coincide with the formula 1 etihad airways,
abu dhabi grand prix.

the yas hotel is part of the ambitious 36-billion-dollar yas marina development
and accompanying formula 1 raceway circuit, which is also near completion.

the main feature of the project's design is a 217-meter expanse of sweeping, curvilinear
forms constructed of steel and 5,800 pivoting diamond-shaped glass panels. this grid
shell component affords the building an architecture comprised of an atmospheric
like veil that contains two hotel towers and a link bridge constructed as a monocoque
sculpted steel object passing above the formula 1 track that makes its way through
the building complex. the grid-shell visually connects and fuses the entire complex
together while producing optical effects and spectral reflections that play against the
surrounding sky, sea and desert landscape. the architecture as a whole 'performs' as
both an environmentallyresponsive solution as well as an architecture of spectacle
and event.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
The hotel itself looked really fantastic on TV architecture-wise - but making holidays in a hotel inmidst a race track does not seem too attractive to me noise-wise, smell-wise and lack-of-gardens-wise...!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deer
The hotel itself looked really fantastic on TV architecture-wise - but making holidays in a hotel inmidst a race track does not seem too attractive to me noise-wise, smell-wise and lack-of-gardens-wise...!

I agree.

One small exception: Hotel du Castellet in the South of France.

http://www.hotelducastellet.net
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
I agree.

One small exception: Hotel du Castellet in the South of France.

http://www.hotelducastellet.net
Yes, but the track at Castellet is a fair distance from the hotel, although you do hear the noise of the cars from the gardens, at times.

At Yas, the hotel actually spans the track at one point.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
http://www.theyashotel.com/

new york based asymptote architecture is nearing completion of their yas hotel project,
in abu dhabi, uae. the yas hotel is a 500-room, 85,000-square-meter complex which is
due to open on october 30, 2009 to coincide with the formula 1 etihad airways,
abu dhabi grand prix.

the yas hotel is part of the ambitious 36-billion-dollar yas marina development
and accompanying formula 1 raceway circuit, which is also near completion.

the main feature of the project's design is a 217-meter expanse of sweeping, curvilinear
forms constructed of steel and 5,800 pivoting diamond-shaped glass panels. this grid
shell component affords the building an architecture comprised of an atmospheric
like veil that contains two hotel towers and a link bridge constructed as a monocoque
sculpted steel object passing above the formula 1 track that makes its way through
the building complex. the grid-shell visually connects and fuses the entire complex
together while producing optical effects and spectral reflections that play against the
surrounding sky, sea and desert landscape. the architecture as a whole 'performs' as
both an environmentallyresponsive solution as well as an architecture of spectacle
and event.
This would be a fantastic way to go see the races. Does Eithad have any frequent flyer partnerships?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by mktozd
This would be a fantastic way to go see the races. Does Eithad have any frequent flyer partnerships?
Not sure - we are going there soon as Mr Vuittons is a big Formula 1 fan.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mktozd
I don't know, but Dubai airport is just an hours drive, if there is not too much traffic. So there should be a broad range of airlines to chose from.

BTW, I think the Yas Hotel is almost impossible to book during the GP. One would need an invitation from an F1 team or sponsor. Probably easier to view the race from hotel balconies in Monaco. And prices in Monaco are going down.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
I don't know, but Dubai airport is just an hours drive, if there is not too much traffic. So there should be a broad range of airlines to chose from.

BTW, I think the Yas Hotel is almost impossible to book during the GP. One would need an invitation from an F1 team or sponsor. Probably easier to view the race from hotel balconies in Monaco. And prices in Monaco are going down.
Wow, thats too bad, though I guess I am not too surprised
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Yes, but the track at Castellet is a fair distance from the hotel, although you do hear the noise of the cars from the gardens, at times.

At Yas, the hotel actually spans the track at one point.
AFAIK the Abu Dhabi racetrack is not permanent. Racing activity is limited to the F1 Grand Prix. That should make the Yas Hotel a pretty quiet place for 360 days. Except for the yachts that "park" in the lobby for curbside check-in. Another amazing "first" for a hotel
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im sure other hotels with marinas do that. especially the yacht centered ones.

will be interesting to see if someone eventually has accommodations with docks. not sure RC is going to put their deckhouses in inventory at grand cayman. and those are small boats. not unlike the boat that is included with overwater reserve at one of the six senses maldives.

booking during GP would make an interesting concierge test.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 2, 2009 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Maybe its just me, but every time that I visit one of these over-hyped mega-hotels I am completely disappointed (e.g Dubai, Vegas).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.