Search

Can I bring my brolly onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Can I bring my brolly onboard?

I'm flying HAM-OSL on LH in Y. Would LH staff allow me to carry my long umbrella onboard without having to check it in? I already have roll on but the brolly won't fit in it nor the check in bag.

The umbrella does not have a pointy tip at the end, in case you're wondering!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm flying HAM-OSL on LH in Y. Would LH staff allow me to carry my long umbrella onboard without having to check it in? I already have roll on but the brolly won't fit in it nor the check in bag.

I do not believe that LH staff is the problem, airport security could become the problem. I would not ask. If you get this thing though security, my experience tells me that you will face no further problems.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: ex AN*G(Diamond), QF SG, VA Plat
No idea about brollys, but hockey sticks and swords...

Well, TXL security and FRA security have both let Mrs AN*G carry on-board (same reason - wouldn't fit in roll-on or check-in bags) 2 swords (admittedly plastic with no sharp edges) and 2 hockey sticks, simultaneously, so I'd hazard a guess that a brolly would stand a pretty good chance...

Actually, Mrs AN*G just told me that she has carried a golf umbrella that she got given at a conference through ZRH, FRA, BKK and SYD security with no problems nor even an eyelid raised - but that was back in 2004 admittedly.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold

Did BMI final issue the tickets ?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
I'm pretty sure you're well aware that pointy/sharp tips are not the only deal-breakers for security guys nowadays. Recently in Chicago Midway (yes, I was flying Southwest ) I was forced to go back to check-in, otherwise dump, my newly purchased (from Williams-Sonoma) silicon rolling pin, because according to the TSA guy "it is a dual purpose object"

I was like "your wife must know better...", and rushed to go back to check-in.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by andre1970
I'm pretty sure you're well aware that pointy/sharp tips are not the only deal-breakers for security guys nowadays. Recently in Chicago Midway (yes, I was flying Southwest ) I was forced to go back to check-in, otherwise dump, my newly purchased (from Williams-Sonoma) silicon rolling pin, because according to the TSA guy "it is a dual purpose object"

LOL ^.

Last year at PER, security made Mrs. DUF check in the allen key of her tripod.
Was great to pick up the two inch long piece complete with business class luggage tag from baggage services in SYD after the flight.
I think security was concerned that she might have started to assemble Ikea furniture in the middle of the flight. I always wanted to have a Billy shelf near the front galley.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..according to the TSA guy "it is a dual purpose object"

^

Well done! Even though I must say that the argument of the TSA guy is even more hilarious .
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold

I never experienced any problems in Germany but was forced by BAA to check my umbrella when connecting on the way from NYC to FRA As I had plenty of time (late incoming flight, rebooked on a later flight to FRA) I cleared customs and immigration where the officer asked me about my plans in UK and I told him about the umbrella. Got some strange looks and proceeded to Check-In only to learn that an umbrella is "a bulky item" and I have to got to the special desk for "oversized items". In the end the umbrella made it to FRA but it was quite a hassle.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Umbrella yes, but a jar of my mother's very own marmalade, no.

Go figure.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Umbrella yes, but a jar of my mother's very own marmalade, no.

Go figure.
The umbrella protects you from exploding water, the jam could be the latter!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by weero
The umbrella protects you from exploding water, the jam could be the latter!
Talking from personal experience?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Appreciate the kudos from all my friends here Re: my line to the TSA guy.

However, for the sake of completeness (and forewarning to newbies) I feel that I need to take note of the fact that the TSA guy was not overly amused. In addition, much to my chagrin, Midway is a pretty small airport and chances are that one stumbles across the same TSA guy!

Needless to say, I paid heftily for my weero-ism... I got the full "rolling pin" treatment which, mind you, proved to be quite distinct from the express/elite line...

Cheerio

A.

PS Having just returned from Haiti / Port-au-Prince / Cité Soleil alive, I feel that I could easily get the "rolling pin" treatment again...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold

So, what was the outcome ? Could you take the brolly onboard ?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by totti
Talking from personal experience?
Nope ... but I try to be empathetic with TSA's way of thinking. If water can harm a plane and the umbrella protects from water then the plane should be happy about any umbrella climbing aboard.

Personally, I'd not use an umbrella to deflect a blast wave ... but then I am not a TSAlien.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by totti
I never experienced any problems in Germany but was forced by BAA to check my umbrella when connecting on the way from NYC to FRA ... I cleared customs and immigration where the officer asked me about my plans in UK and I told him about the umbrella. Got some strange looks ...
I once had to clear immigration at FRA so that I could check-in a half bottle of duty-free Rémy Martin. The security guy was adamant that I could not take it in my hand luggage on a connecting flight despite a sealed plastic bag, bought on board an LH plane, etc. but the immigration officer didn't ask me about my plans in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.