Change of flight, class U? PVG-FRA

Old Jun 22, 09, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Change of flight, class U? PVG-FRA

Hello!

Going from PVG to FRA on the 26th of June. LH733 which seems fully booked! I departs 11.40pm, which is a terrible time for me and my gf (checkout from hotel is 12).

How much trouble would it be to get a earlier flight? Final destination is STO so DUS, MUC is alright.

Because this flight seems to popular, will they offer me a change for free? (class U)

And also just a simple question.. Why the hell is this flight so packed, such a late one?
Old Jun 22, 09, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
I doubt you stand a chance to change a U class flight. If it is overbooked LH will deal with the situation at the airport.

Why not leave the luggage at the hotel and spent the rest of the day in the city?

The flight is late, overnight, and arrives in FRA early in the morning, which allows having a full work day and lots of connections to Europe and elsewhere.
Old Jun 22, 09, 10:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
Tried the same on a U-class MUC-HKG-MUC last week. Not a single chance, sorry!
Old Jun 23, 09, 2:40 am

Programs: LH M+M (dropped to blue since hardly flying with them anymore), EY Guest Silver
Well, since the flight seems to be packed (3 Y class available, 0 C-clss, 2 A class according to Seatcounter), chances are the flight will be oversold and there is not much chance to upgrade people either.

I would definitely give LH a call and see if there is anything they are willing to do, it NEVER hurts to ask nicely....

However, I wouldn't keep my hopes up high, but still worth a try....
Old Jun 23, 09, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friday night flights out of Shanghai to Europe are very popular. I have been on this flight quite frequently, and although it is always full in all classes, it seems to work out- LH are quite impressive in their revenue management over all. I doubt you will have any luck trying to change- and so I would just be sure to check in early and get the best seats you can. OP ups, in my experience, will only be to HON members on very high booking classes- also this flight often has huge waiting lists for C so the only OP ups I can see happening are from C>F (and usually there are people using there points for an upgrade as opposed to an op up). On the bright side, it is a wonderful flight for spending your last full day in Shanghai!
Old Jun 24, 09, 8:51 pm

Programs: LH and BA
ask for a late check-out - usually 50% until 6PM - like that you can use the pool and have shower , and have dinner at the hotel before heading to the airport
Old Jun 25, 09, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information!

Seems like a late-checkout and early-checkin is the way to go. I'll just ask at check-in if they need some volunteers to take another flight
Old Jun 25, 09, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kr3m View Post
Thanks for all the great information!

Seems like a late-checkout and early-checkin is the way to go. I'll just ask at check-in if they need some volunteers to take another flight
Good luck with LH! I would OLCI though to get a good seat.
Old Jun 25, 09, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Good luck with LH! I would OLCI though to get a good seat.
Trying to check-in online but doesnt seem to be working well: Your flight is currently prepared for check-in. Please log-in again in a few minutes and check-in for your flight. Please note: If you have a transfer flight, Online Check-in is available 23 hours prior to the departure time of your transfer flight.

Haha.. Been that way for 30 min
Old Jun 25, 09, 9:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, OZ Diamond, FB Gold, CX MPC
As described in other threads you can "Online Check-in is available 23 hours prior to the departure time of your transfer flight"
This means not 23h before the flight leaves PVG, but before your second leg flight departs.
Old Jun 25, 09, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caipiroska View Post
As described in other threads you can "Online Check-in is available 23 hours prior to the departure time of your transfer flight"
This means not 23h before the flight leaves PVG, but before your second leg flight departs.
Ah, I can see that now!
However I tried the mobile check-in and that worked. Hope I didn't screw anything up
Old Jun 26, 09, 12:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Online Check-in sometimes works 23h before the first leg even if your connecting flight is more than 23h away. YMMV. If the first leg is longhaul and there's a long layover it's a real nuisance since you may not be able to OLCI until a few hours before the first leg to get a good seat.

For information you should be able to request/reserve a seat in advance in longhaul Economy even without status. Although your question was not about advance seat reservation but about changing flights, you may find this information useful for future reference. See the first post in this thread.
Old Jun 26, 09, 1:55 am

Programs: LH HON
actually, this is meant for the case where the transfer is the first leg...

it's usually 23 hours prior the first leg and you can check in all subsequent legs then.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: