Search

Bag vanished in MUC - strike related?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:21 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Bag vanished in MUC - strike related?

Hi all. A few days ago I flew MAN-MUC-SIN in LH J, then on to Surabaya (Indonesia) on Silkair.

My bag, which was checked from MAN to SUB never made it, and nobody in SUB or SIN has any idea where it is, and are suggesting it might not have even left MUC.

I find it hard to believe LH could lose my bag with a simple, 3 hour stop in MUC, but it is possible the effects if the strike might have meant the bag never left MUC, and LH just didn't bother to tell me?

Haven't been able to get through to LH to get any info yet
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Well, these kind of things happen. Especially in rough times like that for LH (if it's their fault)

Usually three hours are plenty in MUC, I had them transfer bags within 20 minutes (actual time) and they made it. The most likely connection point where the bag might have gone lost is SIN though, as connecting between two different airlines is the most critical point in this journey.

Try and get through with LH and then you will see what they have to say. I think it's too early to blame LH for that.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Have you tried the online baggage tracing system?

http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/LH_en.htm
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:29 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Well, these kind of things happen. Especially in rough times like that for LH (if it's their fault)

Usually three hours are plenty in MUC, I had them transfer bags within 20 minutes (actual time) and they made it. The most likely connection point where the bag might have gone lost is SIN though, as connecting between two different airlines is the most critical point in this journey.

Try and get through with LH and then you will see what they have to say. I think it's too early to blame LH for that.
I completely agree, but SIN / SQ are telling us they have no idea where the bag is, and can't even say if it arrived or not! I would consider LH losing it pretty unlikely even in this time, and if it didn't leave MUC I suspect they'd have told me, but who knows. Trying to get hold of them now.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:31 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Trying this now but not sure what number I need.

My bag tag number is LH then six digits, or ten digits starting with 0220 (but that doesn't work).

The system seems to require a ten digital letter+number combination. Should it have an airport name at the start?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Gaz
My bag tag number is LH then six digits, or ten digits starting with 0220 (but that doesn't work).

The system seems to require a ten digital letter+number combination. Should it have an airport name at the start?
I just have an SK tag here (on my suitcase), which is the same - SK (6 digit code) and the airline code (0117 (for SK) 220 is airline code for LH - see your ticket) then the same 6 digits. (standard for all tags, I think!)

This should work, *if* it even left MAN in the first place and was entered in LH's baggage system.

Understand that LH has their lost baggage HQ in DUB - I'll try looking for the number, if I can find it, because an AA to LH connection went wrong recently..

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 2, 2008 at 11:22 am
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:09 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Yeah, no joy with the system.

Official word from LH is that they don't know where it is, because my loss report hasn't got through to their system yet.

The operative told me that it's very likely it didn't leave MUC due to the strike, but couldn't say for certain. She also said if this happened, I wouldn't have been told about it, because that would require the bag to be entered into a system, and the people that do that are on strike too.

My return flights, happily, are operating, but she advised me to avoid checking bags.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Gaz
Yeah, no joy with the system.

Official word from LH is that they don't know where it is, because my loss report hasn't got through to their system yet.

The operative told me that it's very likely it didn't leave MUC due to the strike, but couldn't say for certain. She also said if this happened, I wouldn't have been told about it, because that would require the bag to be entered into a system, and the people that do that are on strike too.

My return flights, happily, are operating, but she advised me to avoid checking bags.
I would confirm immediately with LH MAN to see what they did with your bags (everyone will tell you that this is not the procedure, and that you should liaise with the last airline you flew with, but I do not subscribe to their theorem - it just doesn't work!)...then you can move forward - I once had a GA tag mine with someone else's name to *another* destination (different carrier) and *luckily* the lounge dragon spotted this when I asked her about whether they had time to make the flight...

(They actually did, but I was told by the GA that I'd better hurry, or they wouldn't! (little did *I* know that she had already arranged for them *never* to travel with me at all!))
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
LX lost my bag on a ZRH-MAD trip in Y. No connecting flight, I was at the airport 2 hours before departure. In MAD a message was waiting for me that my luggage didnt make it but it would come with the first flight the following morning, didnt happen either , I finally got the luggage late in the evening on my second day of a three day trip.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I don't think this is strike related. Baggage handlers were never on strike.
..Probably just bad luck ...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A little search of Google and Wikipedia confirmed that the 10 digits you need consist of: one digit (0 to 9), IATA 3-digit carrier code, and 6-digit human readable number printed on the tag. So it looksk like the 10-digit number beginning with 0220 is the correct one.

Can't find LH's Manchester Airport number but the general LH number in the UK is 0845 773 7747. The baggage centre number is 0871 945 9124 (24 hrs). yell.com lists 0871 945 9747 when searching for "lufthansa manchester airport". If you can't reach 08xx numbers from outside the UK, an alternative to try is 020 87503500 (also -3509) which is only open Mon-Fri 7.30am to 8.00pm.

Good luck!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The number you need the enter in the world tracer system is the case number you got when filing the missing luggage report at your destination. It has absolutely nada to do with your tags.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
SQ will be the ones generating the case number, as they are the handling agent in SIN.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

That's a fairly meaningless tool. For me it sometimes showed "Search ongoing" despite me having received my luggage 5 days before checking the page.

But I'm having the same fun again since LH lost my bag on a simple HAM-FRA. Even more annoying: This time it seems that LH insists on not paying more than they have to acc. to the Montreal Convention.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Triple3
That's a fairly meaningless tool. For me it sometimes showed "Search ongoing" despite me having received my luggage 5 days before checking the page.

But I'm having the same fun again since LH lost my bag on a simple HAM-FRA. Even more annoying: This time it seems that LH insists on not paying more than they have to acc. to the Montreal Convention.
Completely gone or was it just not on the same flight with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.