Wiki Posts
Search

Great Service to make Transfer in FRA after arriving in F

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 6:30 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Maybe they do a good job regarding bags when you make a connection but when FRA is your final destination, it always takes forever. 30 minutes or more is pretty common in my experience!
My experience as well. And when a first time visitor tries to catch the subway into town is about the point when he or she would have wished never to have come to Germany. The IC station is very nice, but the S-Bahn station is extremely run down...

HTB.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by htb
My experience as well. And when a first time visitor tries to catch the subway into town is about the point when he or she would have wished never to have come to Germany. The IC station is very nice, but the S-Bahn station is extremely run down...

HTB.
Exactly. Also, sometimes there are signs, sometimes there aren't any towards the S-Bahn. Especially with the current construction going on, nobody bothered to put decent signing up
Old May 7, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Exactly. Also, sometimes there are signs, sometimes there aren't any towards the S-Bahn. Especially with the current construction going on, nobody bothered to put decent signing up
Great, there is no construction in the rest of the world and signing is always perfect at all other airports. I must have been in second life, when I was flying into LAX, LHR, MAD, SVO, CDG, ...
Old May 7, 2008, 10:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
100% agreed. Given all the constraints FRA is doing an excellent job in many aspects. Baggage handling is one. ^
I will chime in with my agreement. FRA does a great job overall-- and all I see are improvements in that airport. (Except right after 9/11).
Old May 7, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: Stuff
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
Especially compared to MUC. Only downside there is I'm generally going to Donnersbergerbruecke...
Old May 7, 2008, 12:29 pm

Great, there is no construction in the rest of the world and signing is always perfect at all other airports. I must have been in second life, when I was flying into LAX, LHR, MAD, SVO, CDG, ...
Does that justify anything? Do you want FRA to be as bad as all those horrible airports?
Old May 7, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I guessed it was F class in Frankfurt on LH. This is not a Fraport benefit, but a LH one. LH treats their F class like gods. Most other airlines would have let the F class passengers miss the connection.

Having said that, Frankfurt is my airport of choice for connections within Europe. Will be going through there again on Saturday on my way to Barcelona. 3 trips to Europe in 40 days.

I did once wait on the tarmack in Frankfurt for almost 30 minutes waiting for ground crew to bring stairs and buses. This made a reasonable connection (going from Bangalore to SFO) to a short one. I made the connection (by running), but my baggage didn't. Note: This was a Saturday in Spring. One of the first beautiful days after a long rainy winter and the rumor in the airport was that a severe bout of Spring fever caused an unforeseen increase in illness.

One difference in baggage handling worth noting. When my bag didn't arrive in SFO, LH made me wait in line and fill out forms. I'm Star Gold and was travelling in C. When the same thing happens on United, they page me before they make me wait and have forms filled out and just ask me to verify that I want the bags delivered to my home address and they know when they will show up. I had a similar experience with Asiana as well, but not with LH. Had an even worse experince with LH in Barcelona once when the guy at the baggage desk tried to tell me that not all baggage was out and I should go back and wait longer. I refused to leave and insisted that he check status in his computer. Lo and behold my bag was still in Munich.

Last edited by RobUAIntl; May 7, 2008 at 9:40 pm
Old May 7, 2008, 10:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
One difference in baggage handling worth noting. When my bag didn't arrive in SFO, LH made me wait in line and fill out forms. I'm Star Gold and was travelling in C. When the same thing happens on United, they page me before they make me wait and have forms filled out and just ask me to verify that I want the bags delivered to my home address and they know when they will show up.
To be fair, with UA you were at a hub and are UGS - ie their top dog, whereas with LH you were at an outpost and a mere *G.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
To be fair, with UA you were at a hub and are UGS - ie their top dog, whereas with LH you were at an outpost and a mere *G.
But it also happened on Asiana where he is a mere *G as well.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
But it also happened on Asiana where he is a mere *G as well.
I agree with both comments. UA treats me well so I've come. But I'm nobody on Asiana and this happened in SFO where they only have one flight a couple of days a week. Compare that to LH in Barcelona where LH has many flights per day or LH in SFO where they have two per day.

I mean this as a suggestion for LH, not a flame. Overall my experience with LH is good. I fly them frequently. And FRA is my preferred routing for going just about anywhere in Europe where I can't get a direct flight from SFO.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:05 am

Does that justify anything? Do you want FRA to be as bad as all those horrible airports?
No, I don't. But, that is what I'm saying. FRA is not as bad is it is sometimes claimed here.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:09 am

No, I don't. But, that is what I'm saying. FRA is not as bad is it is sometimes claimed here.
OK. Point taken. FRA is definitely not as bad as let's say LHR, JFK or LAX but I think we all agree that there are way nicer possibilities out there
Old May 9, 2008, 9:40 am

OK. Point taken. FRA is definitely not as bad as let's say LHR, JFK or LAX but I think we all agree that there are way nicer possibilities out there
Yes.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree on both counts.
Old May 10, 2008, 4:30 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Nicer than FRA??? Which place in the world could that possibly be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.