Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH First FRA-JFK does it fly over London and if so, which seats?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
LH First FRA-JFK does it fly over London and if so, which seats?

dear all,

Traveling first time FRA-JFK and was wondering if the flightpath goes over London (my home town) and if it does, which side of the aircraft will I have the best view of London?

Also, on the way back, will it be the opposite side, or does this flightpath not go over London at all?

Always wanted to see London from 30,000 feet, though I admit, chances of getting a clear sky are very little.

Any advice, much appreciated.
arpiuk
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:28 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
The MUC - CLT LH route goes straight over the top on London - about an hour in. I had a port window and had a great view. Also a very good look at God's own country - the South Wales coast. But I think you are somewhat in the lap.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:35 am

Sorry to break the bad news, but the flight route is highly variable. Depends enormously on the forecasted weather (winds aloft) on that particular day, as well as Air Traffic Control.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:21 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by wideman
Sorry to break the bad news, but the flight route is highly variable. Depends enormously on the forecasted weather (winds aloft) on that particular day, as well as Air Traffic Control.
Very correct! ^
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:22 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by wideman
I can second that. You might or might not fly over London but chances are not high as this depends on so many factors. Anything from local traffic conditions to wind near Newfoundland.
But if there is any place in the world which you can see often from the air then it is London since you have to circle above the city often before landing at LHR. You always have a great view, not from 30,000 feet so.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:28 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Last time we flew north from London on the FRA-JFK route. But it really depends on too many factors.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
There is seriously zero(!) predictability whether and where the route will go over London.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Depends which north atlantic track (NAT) the JFK flight is scheduled to take and where which NAT is located on that particular day. Let me know if you have any particular day in mind and I'll try to look it up.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I can second that. You might or might not fly over London but chances are not high as this depends on so many factors. Anything from local traffic conditions to wind near Newfoundland.
But if there is any place in the world which you can see often from the air then it is London since you have to circle above the city often before landing at LHR. You always have a great view, not from 30,000 feet so.
True - just the other day I was filming the landing into LHR and we flew right over Windsor Castle. I never realised how close it was to LHR.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by Yukonprince
True - just the other day I was filming the landing into LHR and we flew right over Windsor Castle. I never realised how close it was to LHR.
Actually, pretty stupid of the Queen to build her castle at the extension of the northern runway at the busiest airport in Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.