FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   LH First FRA-JFK does it fly over London and if so, which seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/817330-lh-first-fra-jfk-does-fly-over-london-if-so-seats.html)

arpiuk Apr 26, 2008 3:23 am

LH First FRA-JFK does it fly over London and if so, which seats?

dear all,

Traveling first time FRA-JFK and was wondering if the flightpath goes over London (my home town) and if it does, which side of the aircraft will I have the best view of London?

Also, on the way back, will it be the opposite side, or does this flightpath not go over London at all?

Always wanted to see London from 30,000 feet, though I admit, chances of getting a clear sky are very little.

Any advice, much appreciated.
arpiuk

squeeler Apr 26, 2008 3:28 am

The MUC - CLT LH route goes straight over the top on London - about an hour in. I had a port window and had a great view. Also a very good look at God's own country - the South Wales coast. But I think you are somewhat in the lap.

wideman Apr 26, 2008 4:35 am

Sorry to break the bad news, but the flight route is highly variable. Depends enormously on the forecasted weather (winds aloft) on that particular day, as well as Air Traffic Control.

andre1970 Apr 26, 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by wideman (Post 9635148)
Sorry to break the bad news, but the flight route is highly variable. Depends enormously on the forecasted weather (winds aloft) on that particular day, as well as Air Traffic Control.

Very correct! ^

DownUnderFlyer Apr 26, 2008 5:22 am

Originally Posted by wideman (Post 9635148)

I can second that. You might or might not fly over London but chances are not high as this depends on so many factors. Anything from local traffic conditions to wind near Newfoundland.
But if there is any place in the world which you can see often from the air then it is London since you have to circle above the city often before landing at LHR. You always have a great view, not from 30,000 feet so.

szg Apr 26, 2008 5:28 am

Last time we flew north from London on the FRA-JFK route. But it really depends on too many factors.

TT-Jones Apr 26, 2008 9:28 am

There is seriously zero(!) predictability whether and where the route will go over London.

oliver2002 Apr 26, 2008 10:44 am

Depends which north atlantic track (NAT) the JFK flight is scheduled to take and where which NAT is located on that particular day. Let me know if you have any particular day in mind and I'll try to look it up.

Yukonprince Apr 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 9635226)
I can second that. You might or might not fly over London but chances are not high as this depends on so many factors. Anything from local traffic conditions to wind near Newfoundland.
But if there is any place in the world which you can see often from the air then it is London since you have to circle above the city often before landing at LHR. You always have a great view, not from 30,000 feet so.

True - just the other day I was filming the landing into LHR and we flew right over Windsor Castle. I never realised how close it was to LHR.

captainiglo Apr 30, 2008 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Yukonprince (Post 9636900)
True - just the other day I was filming the landing into LHR and we flew right over Windsor Castle. I never realised how close it was to LHR.

:D:D:D Actually, pretty stupid of the Queen to build her castle at the extension of the northern runway at the busiest airport in Europe :D:D:D