Search

New FCT Service in the making! [merged F pax pickup in FRA thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:40 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Show me a HON, who never flies F.
There may be some whose company pays C-- and who fly a lot.

But I'm sure they fly F plenty.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:45 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by redshift27
Perfect timing! I arrive MAN-FRA tomorrow am, a flight which I believe usually ends up on the apron. I will report back. (Connecting on in F to BOS)
Well this was fun. Fog at FRA. MAN-FRA flight arrived at gate 79 minutes late at 10:54am, and came into gate B27. Normally this would have been convenient for the 11:00am LH422 FRA-BOS which usually leaves from the B24/26 etc pier, but today, of course, seeing as it was me flying, it was posted out at A55.

Thankfully the fog delayed the LH422 and I made it with what felt like a whole minute to spare. My suitcase made it too, which impressed me.

No ground assistance of any sort seen for me, F, *G, absolutely not HON.

And as an LH F first-timer I feel that the LH F soft product is very nice, thank you. The hard product is so-so.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
The 15.000 USD is exact the same price for a FRA-NRT. This longhaul flight drives the fare, not the connection. Your shuttle from MUC or DUS into FRA is a free ride for your convenience, since you don't have to bother, how to reach that longhaul flight in F otherwise. If I pay the 15.000 USD starting in FRA, I don't get a free car ride either somewhere. I have to take care myself, how to reach that flight/airport. So what you buy is a F flight from FRA-NRT for 15.000 USD and LH benefits you with a free connection ride plus additional miles on the conneciton. The service you are requesting is a HON benefit and IMHO, LH should keep some HON benefits over normal pax. Otherwise the HON status makes no sense.

And for the records: Aside a few vacation trips on award miles I'm flying just paid F and C, even as a HON. But I expect a somewhat better treatment over regular pax for the loyality I give to the airline by always flying with them (and reaching the status then).
Following your argumentation, LH should effective immediately close all lounges, get rid of priority handling of luggage, eliminate F and C check-in. Because all LH does is giving you a seat on a plane from A to B. You are not entitled to anything else. They could even go so far and put only Eco seats on their airplanes - and you couldn't claim your money back. So far so good - but how long would that airline stay in business?

LH is justifying the huge mark-up for F by selling the customer not only the seat but also the experience. You can check-in at a F counter, you have the benefit of the FCL or FCL when travelling from FRA or MUC. If you can afford F you will not just be brought from A to B but you get an exceptional treatment - pampered from the very beginning. The story has holes though and one of the holes is the connecting flight. Out of the blue, LH is treating the 15.000 USD customer in the same way they treat the 50 USD Y passenger - and while there is legally nothing wrong, I would expect to get more for my money (and we both know that out of the 15.000 USD only a fraction is actually needed to ensure my transportion in the promised F seat).

I agree that you should reward loyality and I think LH is offering perks for HON that you do not get as a regular F customer.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:26 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redshift27
Well this was fun. Fog at FRA. MAN-FRA flight arrived at gate 79 minutes late at 10:54am, and came into gate B27. Normally this would have been convenient for the 11:00am LH422 FRA-BOS which usually leaves from the B24/26 etc pier, but today, of course, seeing as it was me flying, it was posted out at A55.

Thankfully the fog delayed the LH422 and I made it with what felt like a whole minute to spare. My suitcase made it too, which impressed me.

No ground assistance of any sort seen for me, F, *G, absolutely not HON.

And as an LH F first-timer I feel that the LH F soft product is very nice, thank you. The hard product is so-so.
I apologize for the experience you had.

That said, I have seen LH do the tight F connection right. If you have a tight connection due to a delay on LH to or from an LH flight in F, bring it to the attention of the purser and ask that someone from the First-Class ground team meet you and help you make your tight connection. The two times I've seen the "tight connection" servcice, it was not requested. Granted, those were both F-F flights.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:12 am

Programs: LH, SPG
FRA inbound car service experiences?

(I know there's already a thread that speculates on the existence of this perk and subsequently deteriorates into the old F vs. HON argument... I would love for this one to be about the actual service.)

I was really looking forward to getting picked up and whisked away as LH344X landed in FRA today. I am traveling with my fiancee, we're flying on from FRA, she with a 1st-class ticket, me on a the usual company-paid C. No more buses for us though! So I thought.

There was no car service, just a bus, barely big enough to fill up nice and tight with all the folks who looked so sparse on the A319.

Anyhow, we took the long walk to the FCT. Long layover - I figured the cigar lounge would be a nice place to kick back a bit. When we got through security I asked the PA to look into why we weren't picked up. She came back after a while and said that the system is very new, and they have to check every flight by hand (for qualifying pax???) and they neglected to do so for LH344X. I just hope they aren't overworked by all this... it's a good thing they don't have to check every passenger one by one, just every plane. Heh.

Pretty BS story on LH's behalf, but who knows, given the rumors about their IT department it may even be true. There you have it though, this is my experience with the inbound car service in FRA.

Anyone else have better results? Similar? (Worse?) Where do they drive you if your destination is FRA? Where do they drive you if you're flying to the US? Any subsequent benefits such as FCT-like security checks? Details please!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:38 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
SMK77, please show me where I can get the USD 50 fare in Y for MUC-NRT
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:15 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by SMK77
Following your argumentation, LH should effective immediately close all lounges, get rid of priority handling of luggage, eliminate F and C check-in. Because all LH does is giving you a seat on a plane from A to B. You are not entitled to anything else. They could even go so far and put only Eco seats on their airplanes - and you couldn't claim your money back. So far so good - but how long would that airline stay in business?

LH is justifying the huge mark-up for F by selling the customer not only the seat but also the experience. You can check-in at a F counter, you have the benefit of the FCL or FCL when travelling from FRA or MUC. If you can afford F you will not just be brought from A to B but you get an exceptional treatment - pampered from the very beginning. The story has holes though and one of the holes is the connecting flight. Out of the blue, LH is treating the 15.000 USD customer in the same way they treat the 50 USD Y passenger - and while there is legally nothing wrong, I would expect to get more for my money (and we both know that out of the 15.000 USD only a fraction is actually needed to ensure my transportion in the promised F seat).

I agree that you should reward loyality and I think LH is offering perks for HON that you do not get as a regular F customer.
As an F pax you always got a BIZ seat on the connection. So you are more treated, like the pax paying 10,000 USD on the same RT to NRT in C, or treated like a pax paying 800 USD in C just for that flight (no longhaul connection). In addition you can use F check-in and all the best available lounges on the airport. On the return from NRT you can even use all the perks by going to the FCT and getting the limo ride to the plane.

So you are definitely not treated, like a 50 USD pax.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Ari
I apologize for the experience you had.

That said, I have seen LH do the tight F connection right. If you have a tight connection due to a delay on LH to or from an LH flight in F, bring it to the attention of the purser and ask that someone from the First-Class ground team meet you and help you make your tight connection. The two times I've seen the "tight connection" servcice, it was not requested. Granted, those were both F-F flights.
I did talk to the purser. Even asked if someone would be there to help. He just made encouraging noises about my passage through FRA and later commented how relaxed I looked standing by the door waiting for it to open.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:42 am

I'm in the FCT now

Just arrived from SVO. As we got off the airbridge, there was a lady holding a sign for an HON passenger, but not for me (HON as well). I didn't mind as I thought (incorrectly as it turned out) that I would be able to walk directly into the terminal from the airbridge.

But we we had to go down the stairs and were crowded (remember this was an A300) into a bus and then had a 20 minutes journey / wait as we waited for all the buses in front of us to disgorge their passengers into the hellhole that is the bus arrivals area.

I walked over to the FCT and asked why I wasn't picked up when another passenger was. They said the other pax was on a tight connection, and that the new pickup service didn't apply to me because I arrived at a terminal gate, even thought we couldn't actually get into the terminal and had to take the bus

This makes no sense whatever, as the nice lady in the FCT acknowledged. Presumably the new policy is designed so that HON pax can avoid the hassles and unpleasantness of being bussed around FRA. If this is correct then it simply doesn't work.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by AndrewC
I'm in the FCT now

Just arrived from SVO. As we got off the airbridge, there was a lady holding a sign for an HON passenger, but not for me (HON as well). I didn't mind as I thought (incorrectly as it turned out) that I would be able to walk directly into the terminal from the airbridge.

But we we had to go down the stairs and were crowded (remember this was an A300) into a bus and then had a 20 minutes journey / wait as we waited for all the buses in front of us to disgorge their passengers into the hellhole that is the bus arrivals area.

I walked over to the FCT and asked why I wasn't picked up when another passenger was. They said the other pax was on a tight connection, and that the new pickup service didn't apply to me because I arrived at a terminal gate, even thought we couldn't actually get into the terminal and had to take the bus

This makes no sense whatever, as the nice lady in the FCT acknowledged. Presumably the new policy is designed so that HON pax can avoid the hassles and unpleasantness of being bussed around FRA. If this is correct then it simply doesn't work.
Sorry to hear.

You probably arrived at the outer A gates A30s..A40s. Those are pure Schengen gates and do not allow deplaning non-Schengen flights. Happened to me on a couple ZRH arrivals as well.

Let's hope, that LH will sort out that issue soon for the HON arrival service. It is just a couple days old, so there is room for improvements for sure.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Ari
...I don't consider routinely flying LH F over other carriers to be "one-time". LH cannot survive on HON's alone.
Routinely flying LH F makes you HON very quickly, if it is not on miles. Therefore I assumed the "one-time".

Originally Posted by Ari
I'm not "claiming" any service. But, Qatar Airways. TG gives the equivalent. I'm sure there are others.
Are you sure TG is picking up it's F passengers plane side by car when you arrive on a domestic connection in C? I sure have a different experience here.

Originally Posted by Ari
That is exactly the type of attitude that will find my $$ on a different carrier. Why buy F when I can buy C and upgrade if I get the same service?
Understandable. It all depends on your expectations. If you get more value for your money somewhere else go for it. Anything else makes no sense. An organization like LH will certainly not change for you.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ulev
Routinely flying LH F makes you HON very quickly, if it is not on miles. Therefore I assumed the "one-time".
It depends on what very quickly means. It takes most people close to two years, right? In any event, I don't credit to M&M do I can't (and don't) complain of lack of LH status. I just think that some benefits extended to top-tier elite members would be appropriate to extended to F (or at least paid-F) pax.

Are you sure TG is picking up it's F passengers plane side by car when you arrive on a domestic connection in C? I sure have a different experience here.
True . . . I wasn't considering that all the way through.

Understandable. It all depends on your expectations. If you get more value for your money somewhere else go for it. Anything else makes no sense. An organization like LH will certainly not change for you.
My expectations are less in upgraded first (from C/D/Z) than in paid first (F/A). I don't expect LH to change for me. I am certainly allowed to change for them. It seems like this may not matter soon because I'm now generally taking LH flights to/from FRA in F or else using another airport.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up LH does offer non-HON pickup service for apron C - F connection

In this regard LH actually values its HON customers higher than F passengers. LH opinion seems to differ significantly from yours. Thank god they have learned, that profit doesn't come from one time big shots.
I didn't even know it, but LH's opinion doesn't differ from mine after all! ^

From the LH website:

"As a HON Circle Member you are able to enjoy a very special service at Frankfurt airport: if your Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian Airlines operated flight arrives out on the apron, you will be collected straight from your aircraft by limousine or luxury people carrier. This exclusive service is also available to you as a Lufthansa Business Jet as well as a Business Class or Economy Class passenger if you have booked an onward flight in Lufthansa First Class for the same day. The vehicles will be waiting in the second row behind the passenger buses and will take you straight to the bus arrival gate at Terminal 1. ^

"If you are travelling First Class and your aircraft arrives out on the apron, your own comfortable bus will be waiting for you, as is the case for other First Class guests. This ensures you gain precious time, as you disembark from the aircraft first and the First Class bus can depart promptly, before the limousines and all other passenger buses. ^

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1771224

I'm happy that LH recognizes that traipsing around the apron on crowded busses doesn't make for a first-class experience-- no matter what flight you are getting off of. ^

LH has plenty of other opportunities to demonstrate their love for HON's who do show extreme loyalty (and I assume in almost every case revenue) to LH. I hope that other HON enhancements that are not extended to F passengers still make for a distinctive experience for you (and all other HON's).
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Ari
"As a HON Circle Member you are able to enjoy a very special service at Frankfurt airport: if your Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian Airlines operated flight arrives out on the apron, you will be collected straight from your aircraft by limousine or luxury people carrier. This exclusive service is also available to you as a Lufthansa Business Jet as well as a Business Class or Economy Class passenger if you have booked an onward flight in Lufthansa First Class for the same day. The vehicles will be waiting in the second row behind the passenger buses and will take you straight to the bus arrival gate at Terminal 1. ^
Interesting development. ^

From the letter I got a couple weeks ago they said, that this pickup is an exclusive service only for HONs. But hey, what is a statement worth, said Yesterday.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 5:14 am

Programs: LH, CX, Sixt, Langham 1865, Hyatt, SPG
Smile

Yes. And they did it.^
My partner (LH SEN) went yesterday from Leipzig to HKG via FRA in LH F. Flight LEJ-FRA was operated by LH cityline and arrived out on the apron. She was picked up by the regular HON driver service and brought to terminal A. She was happy and is becoming now a new LH fan.

I got also the Thierry Antinori letter some weeks ago and thought the 'bring in' service is dedicated to HONs --> board discussion HON vs. F class passengers is now obsolete reg. this service.

togo001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.