Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would this be a legal award flight? BCN-VIE-BEY-VIE-BCN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Would this be a legal award flight? BCN-VIE-BEY-VIE-BCN

I have been invited to go to Beirut in June.

One thing I would like to know is if anyone has been there recently and what your opinion regarding the safety of the place is.

The other thing I am thinking about is whether I should spend miles to go there (want to save money). Would this be possible:

4th of June:
Austrian Airlines (operated by Tyrolean Airways!)
OS 5398 OP Barcelona (BCN), Barcelona, Spanien 13:50
Vienna Int'l (VIE), Wien, sterreich 16:25
Non-Stopp

4th of June:
Austrian Airlines
OS 839 Vienna Int'l (VIE), Wien, sterreich 23:10
Beirut Int'l (BEY), Beirut, Libanon 03:20 + 1 Tag(e)
Non-Stopp

9th of June:
Austrian Airlines
OS 840 Beirut Int'l (BEY), Beirut, Libanon 04:10
Vienna Int'l (VIE), Wien, sterreich 06:35
Non-Stopp

10th of June:
Austrian Airlines (operated by Tyrolean Airways!)
OS 5397 OP Vienna Int'l (VIE), Wien, sterreich 10:30
Barcelona (BCN), Barcelona, Spanien 13:00
Non-Stopp

IF this is possible, I assume it would cost 75,000 miles in business class (or 46,000 in economy). Do you think this would be a good value? To buy even an economy ticket from Barcelona to Beirut would cost more than 1,000 Euro (on Air France)...

Thanks for your advice!

Edit: I should probably have mentioned that I am aware that there is a legal connection through FRA - I am just asking about this route because I have actually never been in Vienna (at least not in the last 20 years or so) and I would like to take the opportunity (if I do this) to get a glimpse of Vienna.

[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 02-27-2003).]
Old Feb 27, 2003, 5:39 pm

the problem lies in the return connection in VIE > 24 hours as this qualifies as a stop-over as long as there is an earlier flight to your destination, because

a) the award is <= 75000 miles in C
b) the stop-over is in Europe with the whole flight starting in Europe.

That's the bad news, so you have to bring the connection time down to <= 23h59m Good news is that if you take another very close look at the *A chart you will find that the award could be 45.000 in C
Old Feb 27, 2003, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paulusst:
That's the bad news, so you have to bring the connection time down to &lt;= 23h59m Good news is that if you take another very close look at the *A chart you will find that the award could be 45.000 in C </font>
Really?? 45,000 in C? How?

So if I just continue on back to BCN on the 9th of June, it should actually be okay...? How far from the city is the airport in Vienna? At least on the way to BEY, I actually have a more than 6 hour stay...should be enough time to drive to the city, walk around and check out a "Kaffeehaus" .

Going back to checking out the *A chart right now!
Old Feb 27, 2003, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Uh, I think I get it...hmm...how much would they crack down on that?
Old Feb 27, 2003, 6:08 pm
Patron

For a Europe/Middle East et al award you have to spend 40k for Fly Smart, or 50k/75k (Y/C) for a regular award. Until March 31st 2003, 4k on-line booking bonus for a coach class award ticket apply.

Unfortunately no additional stopover (= stay exceeds 24 hours) is allowed; therefore you cannot do a stopover you have planned in VIE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.