Wiki Posts
Search

Lauda Air vs LH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 1999, 10:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Lauda Air vs LH

I am noticing some good fares to the Far East on Lauda Air--how does their business class compare to LH (new or old)? I notice that they accrue miles on M&M.
Old Mar 28, 1999, 11:32 am

I think you'll find that Lauda Air flights no longer accrue points on Miles and More except for the joint services with Lufthansa between Germany and Austria - the service is supposed to be good though, sort of like Virgin from what I've heard.
Old Mar 28, 1999, 12:02 pm

Quebec: Lauda Air service is excellent, therefore nothing like Virgin.
Old Mar 28, 1999, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Merry: remember the old saying from Watergate days (maybe you are too young for this) -- "tricky dicky will screw you every time".
Old Mar 28, 1999, 12:50 pm

Sorry
I meant to say "the service is supposed to be good though, sort of like that of the vestal virgins in ancient times from what I've heard" Just a careless slip of the keyboard.
Old Mar 28, 1999, 3:07 pm
Original Member

I doubt you can still earn LH miles on Lauda Air flights because they are now closely alligned with OS and the Qualiflyer alliance.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 12:54 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
as said above:

flying Lauda you can earn:

LH miles&more on Austrian-Germany flights only

SR Qualiflyer miles on all Lauda Air flights (Lauda air flight number and carrier).
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
I just flew Lauda between Sydney and Kuala Lumpur in Feb and will be going on to Vienna on 30th April with them.

Both of these flights are operated by their new B777. The seat pitch is about 50". The inflight menu is very good, the plates are strangely triangular. You can play fit the puzzle while waiting for your next course. Catering exceeds most Business Class airlines. (Pls note that on their B767-300, seat pitch are a bit tighter at 45")

You can accrue miles on LH's M&M till 30April after which you can only accrue code-shared flights (ie MUC-MIA) with them.

You can accrue miles with SR Qualiflyer and the miles here count toward Elite TravelClub status.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 8:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

strange--since they (sometimes)compete with OS I thought they'd align with LH--they still have some listings in the LH winter timetable.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 9:58 am
Original Member

I know it's strange. I wouldn't have know if I didn't get an OS timetable in the post the other day. Lauda and Tyrolean are all closely aligned with OS. They and OS are all a part of "Austrian Air Transport" if I remember correctly.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
OS now owns something like 43% of LaudaAir. LH owns 19% with the remainder held by Nikki Lauda himself.

Some of the European route (eg London-Vienna) are both operated by Lauda and Austrian. The flights to Gatwick are operated by Lauda and the ones to Heathrow, by Austrian. LaudaAir's code (NG) are on all flights.

[This message has been edited by Celestar340 (edited 03-29-99).]
Old Apr 2, 1999, 6:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I just tried to verify my above informations. In the january-99 newsletter LH informs (in german - I try to translate):

Starting may-1-99 the cooperation with Lauda Air will be limited to the code-share segments:

Wienna - Munich - Miami. From then on you can earn miles, and get awards (free tickets and upgrades) only on these segments.
Old Apr 3, 1999, 8:48 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Just was at Borders and saw the latest Airways magazine (really an interesting magazine--I would recommend it highly as a good combination of business aspects of airlines together with historical information etc. Anyway, there was a story about Austrian Airlines (history and current situation) which talked about Lauda Air--essentially it said that Lauda had selected its fleet (777/767) before teaming with Austrian (A310/340), that it had lower costs than Austrian (so would be substituted for Austrian in highly competitive markets (LGW/VIE), and would keep to its longhaul niche of Australia/SE Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.