Search

LH Luggage from EU to US, Check-in questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Sixt Plat
Question LH Luggage from EU to US, Check-in questions

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding an upcoming LH flight from FRA to BOS in Economy at the end of August (I am FTL), and maybe you know some of the answers. I don't feel like bothering the LH hotline, they surely have enough stuff to do right now.

1) Seats.
I've got some really bad seats confirmed (last row, middle), asked LH about changing to my preferred seats but they are "blocked"... was told to check in by phone. So what's the earliest time for phone check in? Don't want to miss that time of course.

2) Luggage.
It seems that hand luggage to the US is ok except liquids, is that correct? Regarding the "piece concept" ... what's the limit for a FTL travelling in economy? Is it 23kg or 32kg per piece for 2 pieces of luggage? And could one of them be heavier than that and the other one lighter to compensate? And does anyone know how many pieces of hand luggage I can likely take from FRA?

Would be great to get some answers here. Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dennis
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:44 am

Welcome to FT londoner2004

1.I think that you are still only allowed 2 pieces as a FTL, phone check-in can be done 24h before the flight

2.If I remember right you can take 2 pieces of luggage and if they are not too heavy I do not think that the CIA is going to charge you for them. I had a similar situation 2-3 months back when I flew IAD-FRA with 4 pieces in economy. The CIA only charged me for 1 though, because the other two were not that heavy.

It is really hard to give a definitive answer on this it really depends on the CIA that you get, if it is only the weight they will most likely not charge you for anything.

You can take 2 pieces of handluggage, 1 laptop + something else.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florianbrenn
Welcome to FT londoner2004
Thanks! Found the forum a couple of days ago, and it seems to be the best around.

1.I think that you are still only allowed 2 pieces as a FTL, phone check-in can be done 24h before the flight
OK, 2 pieces is of course ok as long as I don't need to check in my laptop (which I won't have to if nothing else happens). 24 hrs is a valuable piece of information for me, thanks for that.

2.If I remember right you can take 2 pieces of luggage and if they are not too heavy I do not think that the CIA is going to charge you for them. I had a similar situation 2-3 months back when I flew IAD-FRA with 4 pieces in economy. The CIA only charged me for 1 though, because the other two were not that heavy.

It is really hard to give a definitive answer on this it really depends on the CIA that you get, if it is only the weight they will most likely not charge you for anything.

You can take 2 pieces of handluggage, 1 laptop + something else.
OK, thanks! This info helps.

Best regards

Dennis
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your question is not clear that you realize *2pc= 2 pieces of 32 kg each. I have not been allowed more than 2 as an FTL. My wife and I sometimes bring back 8 or 10 pieces of 32kg. we pay overage charges for each piece over 4.

If you can get both pieces on the scale at once, no problem. You put them on one at a time, and have a 50kg & a 20kg, it is going to cost you some real money. probably over 10-20 per kg over. the cost of an additional 32kg piece is under 100.

The counter people at LH are among the strictest rule followers to which I have ever come in contact. that said, BA are the nastiest.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Phone-CKI is possible 24-38 hours before departure. So far I mostly was able to check-in in the morning of the day before the flight (regardless on the departure time). This is valid for interconti-flights, I don't care that much about seats on intra-european flights.

Obviously, you don't want to call LH every 5 minutes. You can check the seatmaps on orbitz.com or checkmytrip.com. There you can see, when some seats under airport-control (e.g. row 9 in 747-400) are taken or when the premium sign disappears from the blocked seats (e.g. exit row on many aircrafts).

If you can get them both on the scale at once, no problem.
Not sure about this. Last week, a pax at the F-Class-CKI had this situation in STR and had to repack his luggage.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
Your question is not clear that you realize *2pc= 2 pieces of 32 kg each. I have not been allowed more than 2 as an FTL. My wife and I sometimes bring back 8 or 10 pieces of 32kg. we pay overage charges for each piece over 4.

If you can get both pieces on the scale at once, no problem. You put them on one at a time, and have a 50kg & a 20kg, it is going to cost you some real money. probably over 10-20 per kg over. the cost of an additional 32kg piece is under 100.

The counter people at LH are among the strictest rule followers to which I have ever come in contact. that said, BA are the nastiest.
Hi, thanks for your response! It's already good to know that it's 32kg, that should be alright (I thought that it's usually 23kg for eco, but 32 is of course nicer). So I need to pack intelligently :-) and if 2 pcs of handluggage are ok the problem almost disappears.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drleyes:
Originally Posted by londoner2004
Regarding the "piece concept" ... what's the limit for a FTL travelling in economy? Is it 23kg or 32kg per piece for 2 pieces of luggage?
It is 23kgs
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by andre1970
It is 23kgs
Correct!

It is 23Kg (50lbs) per piece in ECO. Max. 2 pieces. No benefits for FTL for the piece concept (used for US flights).

If baggage is heavier (>23 Kg, 50 lbs) up to 32 Kg (70 lbs) fee is 25$ flat rate per piece. If it is even heavier, price depends on destination and should be checked with Lufthansa ahead of checkin.

Each bagagge items total dimension must not exceed 158cm (H+W+L) !
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:10 am
Original Poster

So it's not a max of 46kg, but EACH piece needs to weigh l.t. 23kg?

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Correct!

It is 23Kg (50lbs) per piece in ECO. Max. 2 pieces. No benefits for FTL for the piece concept (used for US flights).

If baggage is heavier (>23 Kg, 50 lbs) up to 32 Kg (70 lbs) fee is 25$ flat rate per piece. If it is even heavier, price depends on destination and should be checked with Lufthansa ahead of checkin.

Each bagagge items total dimension must not exceed 158cm (H+W+L) !
Thanks for the note! Just for a final clarification: EACH of the two pieces of luggage allowed needs to weigh less than 23kg? So one suitcase with, say 26kg and one with 10kg would not be ok?

Best regards

Dennis
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:50 am

Well, technically not, but I would not think that they would charge you for that, especially as the second suitcase is really lite, and the first is only 3 kilo over the allowance.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Ok, so thanks everyone for your comments. The info you provided helps a lot. It's just the first time I'm checking in any luggage to the US (and my first Eco flight to the US as well), that's why I had all these questions. Thanks again!
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my initial post is incorrect.:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1333469

23 kg in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.