Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "improvements" of M&M 1 April 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:30 pm
Suspended

I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I just went on the Asiana website and saw that they were implementing some changes to their mileage program, and this is what they wrote:

As a benefit to all members, there will be a grace period of 24 months, until 31 March 2008. During this time, you can choose to use either the old or new mileage redemption chart to redeem your free tickets and upgrades.
I'm speechless.

I know it has nothing to do with LH - but I wanted to give an example of what LH should be aiming for
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
That's not fair to compare these "changes"...

Asianas changes are no "enhancements" in the LH-meaning. Some awards are getting cheaper and some more expensive.

However, I agree with you, M&M should adapt this behaviour (both: real enhancements and better communication) ... however, it's always good to have some dreams in your life
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
But if Asiana's FFP is indeed so much more customer oriented than M&M, why aren't we all members there, collecting miles with it?

We are either stupid, or Asiana's FFP isn't really that generous (and customer oriented) regarding flights on their *A partners.

I'm going to find out now.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Ok flysurfer, please tell me, if I have to change my program

Anyway, I feel good with LH and MM (esp as I'm flying only the booking classes Z and B), however, sometime they could be better!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
OK, I'm back. Looks like it's pretty good. Only 40,000 miles in 36 months (!) to renew *G status (100,000 to get it, valid 3 years), and there's mileage pooling between up to 5 family members. Awards seem to be a little bit more expensive than on M&M. There's a COS bonus of 150% on F and 125% on C (status and award miles, methinks). Don't know if this also applys to all *A metal. The membership guide isn't available for download, at least I could not locate it. Their U.S. website isn't really that informative.

Last edited by flysurfer; Jan 2, 2006 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Talking

Keep cool boyz and girlies! UA only wanted to show you some advantages that other FFPs have.

Indeed, there are some interesting points in the Asiana program. But there are also some drawbacks.
- Lounges can only be used when flying *.
- Eurpean awards in Y cost 35k.
- Awards cannot be transfered (= one cannot issue awards for others?).

For me, it is no longer the question wheter LH is worse than other or wheter it is the worst, for me it is rather the question is is wort obtaining the status? Why would we do MRs? What do we expect from the status? To be honest, I guess I must admit that the SEN doesn't give me any real benefits. They threat you the same way as a normal economy guest when flying eco. One does hardly get upgrades (if at all). Why shall we obtain a status just to have a golden plastic card that gives you lounge access? Even though I am making around 80k miles this year, I may not do MRs for the missing miles. It's just not worth. I think I might buy the priority pass for the lounges. I was only one single time happy to be allowed to have more than 30 kg baggage in economy.

Any other ideas? Are you all convinced that it is still worth to do MRs in order to obtain/get a (higher) status?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have read that awards can be transferred to anyone once you have their equivalent of *G status. And to family members with any status.

Edited to add: but transfers only for awards on Asiana flights.

Last edited by flysurfer; Jan 2, 2006 at 1:41 pm
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Tantini
They threat you the same way as a normal economy guest when flying eco
i have a total different experience, at least longhaul... i was always adressed by name and was told before take off, if i need anything out of the ordinary, i should just tell them... on top of that i always got a exit row in advance... so for me its worth it...

cheers

sentom
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Improvement to the wrong direction

Well, at least they changed something in their programm. But there are a few parts that wont make actual FQT's happy: I fly enough to earn LH FQT each year but not enough to make SEN. So, when you get FQT now from 35k it's ok on the first view. But I loose the opportunity to take someone else with me to the lounges. I guess it's time to switch completely to UA or AC where I reach Star Alliance Gold after 35k/50k miles and can use LH lounges with 2 persons.

A better solution would be to seperate the Programm like UA in 1 Silver Status membership without lounge access. The only problem is: Their mileage borders are too far away from each other (35k/120k/600k).

I hope I reach soon my 140k for a F North America ticket and then it's time to look for something more attractive.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Tantini
Keep cool boyz and girlies! UA only wanted to show you some advantages that other FFPs have.
Correct! And while I'm at it - why are we using LH anyway?? I think we should all call our friends in the UK and ask them whether we could use their address to sign up for the BMI mileage program, which - IMHO - is one of the best FQFL Programs out there for individuals that travel in the premium cabins. Except if you travel in SQ F...
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:31 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
asiana

Honourable flysurferr

as you are the role model for inflight style and comfort - the major upside of
Asiana might be their 34" seat pitch in Y. Not that you contemplate doing
this but should you end up there once, I find this a comforting fact.

Originally Posted by sentom
i have a total different experience, at least longhaul... i was always adressed by name and was told before take off, if i need anything out of the ordinary, i should just tell them...
Yes but you are a HON-lite, so they need to act submissively.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by UA 882
Correct! And while I'm at it - why are we using LH anyway??
Because - despite constantly being reminded by some very frequent posters on this board what idiots we are - there are some that are quite satisfied with what LH has to offer compared to other carriers.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Thanks, tscwede, I could not agree more!

And as I said before: I do not use an airline because it has requent flyer program but because it carries me from A to B in a reliable, safe, comfortable and friendly way. You guys all over this world may critizise the FF program, we on the Continent use the airline. And to be honest: If I compare LH to any of these insolvent US Chapter 11 Airlines, I feel like being in paradise, especially on domestic or intra-european flights.

Cheers and happy new year,

T.
                Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:19 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
                Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
                And as I said before: I do not use an airline because it has requent flyer program but because it carries me from A to B in a reliable, safe, comfortable and friendly way. And to be honest: If I compare LH to any of these insolvent US Chapter 11 Airlines, I feel like being in paradise, especially on domestic or intra-european flights.

Cheers and happy new year,

T.

Hi flying lawyer =)
                For the same reasons i avoid to fly LH and i fly SQ! (my work brings me to S.E. Asia)
                Ok, LH is better than some US carriers, BUT PLEASE DON'T TRY TO TELL US IT'S A HIGH-STANDARD or A TOP-NOTCH AIRLINE! IMHO it's a fair carrier.

Some carriers DEFINETELY BETTER THAN LH:

SQ - QR - CX - NH - JL - EK - SA - MH - QF - VS - BA - OZ

And finally, why not judging an airline also for some perks, not strictly connected to the flight experience (meant as only on-board experience), but absolutely valuable like FFP benefits?
                Personally, when i go to buy a car, i consider also some optionals that are not strictly related to safe drive o speed cruise and so on...

That's obviously my point of view)
                bye bye
                luke
                Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:34 am
                FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with Flying Lawyer. And I agree with Pfaffendorf.

SQ - QR - CX - NH - JL - EK - SA - MH - QF - VS - BA - OZ may be paradise, but they don't fly nonstop on my MUC-LAX commutes - or don't serve that route at all. And most of them don't even have Connexion. So even if somebody gifted me a MUC-xxx-LAX F ticket on one of them, I'd say thank you - but probably pass. Convenience and routing are king for me.

For Asian routes, or to Australia, New Zealand or South Africa: sure, great, I'll take them. As I said before, I'm looking forward to finally try EK in F (380 or 345)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.