Wiki Posts
Search

LH award upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
LH award upgrades

Based on my experience with LH - I'm farily confident I know the answer to this question.. and it's probably a fairly silly question to begin with..

My gf and I are flying LH economy to SFO from FRA on miles booked award tickets.

Am wishing I had booked Business instead, but...

Has anyone EVER been upgraded by LH on an award ticket? Just wondered how slim the chance was.
I have four *A upgrade vouchers too - but these seem to only be valid for YMBH classes. I didn't expect them to be valid on award tickets but live constantly in hope. Especially as we will be flying back on Valentine's day and it would be nice for her (and me!) Is anything worth a try - likely to work to get upgraded?
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
why you dont get business award tix.

cancel the tickets, and purchase normal tickets. dont waste your * vouchers.

dont hope that they will upgrade you. this will not happen.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, BA EC, Delta, Hilton, Accor, IHG
Don't understand answer, anyone else know?

Originally Posted by derpelikan
why you dont get business award tix?

cancel the tickets, and purchase normal tickets. dont waste your * vouchers.
dont hope that they will upgrade you. this will not happen.
I'm afraid you have completely lost me...

1) I didn't get business award tkts because I didn't deem it necessary at the time and did not feel like spending the extra miles that could otherwise be used for other trips.

2) Cancel the tickets and get normal tickets?? That means cancelling tickets booked with hard earned miles and instead pay for the flights - probably between 1500 -2000 Euros for two new tkts! I'm not made of money and that is 2000 less to spend on holiday. And even with vouchers and status there is no guarantee of upgrade.

3) How would I be wasting my *vouchers if I cannot use them on award flights? The vouchers run out at the end of Feb, so if I can't use them they are wasted anyway.

I apologise if I come across as rude as I'm sure you are trying to help - but I really don't understand what you mean.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by britflyer1976
2) Cancel the tickets and get normal tickets?? That means cancelling tickets booked with hard earned miles and instead pay for the flights - probably between 1500 -2000 Euros for two new tkts! I'm not made of money and that is 2000 less to spend on holiday. And even with vouchers and status there is no guarantee of upgrade.
I think derpelikan meant that you should cancel the tickets and get business award tickets instead. Of course I don't know about the availability though.

Dave
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by dave125
I think derpelikan meant that you should cancel the tickets and get business award tickets instead. Of course I don't know about the availability though.

Dave
If you change your award tickets from eco to biz, you don't even have to pay the EUR 40.- rebooking fee (if seats are available in biz) ....

Chances of being upgraded with an award ticket are really close to zero .... so better don't hope too much (although exceptions have been reported in this forum)
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Even those with LH elite status are rarely upgraded on LH award tickets; it happens, but rarely.

There's really no sense in wishing you had booked in Biz if, OTOH, you don't want to spend the miles. Either resign yourself and your girlfriend to coach (and silently hope) or commit the miles. Murphy's Air-Law includes a provision: upgrades happen when you really don't care or expect that they happen, and almost never when you're looking forward to them most.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:33 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Ever been upgraded?

Hey,

since LH changed their Miles&More-System last year the OLD upgrade awards really lost their value for Eco-tickets. As you can now only upgrade from B or Y with them it doesnt make much sense at all , you end up paying just as much as you would have payed if you bought a cheap Business ticket... I got a 35.000-mile award in April 04 (when the old system was still used) and now they deny me to use it according to the old conditions! Heres service for LH-customers!
Has anyone of you EVER gotten an upgrade with LH on a long-haul (NOT Senators or HonCircle members, please. I can imagine you get more benefits...)??? Regular customers, M&M-members or FTs??? I think if they overbook they will rather force you to go on the next plane than offer you an upgrade...

Let me know! Thanks!

Last edited by txl; Jan 20, 2005 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
In my personal experience it is extremely difficult to score an upgrade from Y to C on LH longhaul even on revenue tickets and as a SEN: in my three years as SEN I scored altogether 4 op-ups from Y to C (3 intercontinental, one SVO-FRA), with ZERO upgrades in 2004.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: LH SEN
Txl:

Well, this was on OS VIE-JFK 2004 summer, I got an op-up (as a SEN) so is the gentleman next to me. He told me that this is his 3. time flying ever and has no FT status whatsoever!

Joco
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drleyes:
Well, i was upgraded 2 weeks ago from M to C flying FRA-BOS. That was my first upgrade ever though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.