Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best business product: LH vs OS vs LX vs SN?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Lightbulb Best business product: LH vs OS vs LX vs SN?

Best business product: LH vs OS vs LX vs SN?

I'll be flying LH longhaul for the first time in August. I know the seats are prehistoric but I'm mainly flying them because I want to fly the 747-400. But since I'll be using Star alliance for the next two or so years, I figured I'd ask... which has the best business product overall, especially considering the 'soft product'?

I know LH will slowly be rolling out Allegris but other than that, I think all three non-LH carriers have better longhaul seats?

I think TP has competitive seats, but how about the service? LO still has old style seats, no?
Old May 22, 2024, 12:54 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
LO still has old style seats, they're good value option but not as good as others in general.

OS is in process of switching to 787s, the process should be fairly quick, these will have reverse herringbone in 1-2-1 config. The soft service is also pretty much universally liked, perhaps because there is no F there is no pressure to limit C to differentiate.
LX will be also rolling out Allegris (under brand Swiss Senses), but will take some time still. For the time being they have the same staggered config as OS, condition depends on aircraft.
sw1x and weero like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:56 am

For J class:
by seat configuration I'd rank OS=LX>SN>LH;
by seat comfort (and this is very subjective, entirely ignoring being seated next to someone or not), I'd actually rank LH>SN>OS=LX;
by catering, I'd rank OS>LX>LH=SN
by service, there are better and worse crews out there, I rarely find reason to complain about LH, which is why I'd rank them slightly ahead of others.
weero, viennaflyer and Dianne47 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by hikouki
..I want to fly the 747-400..
Why? And why in Biz?

I'd understand that you wanted to sample it in coach or PE as that is kinda special but in Biz it's just an atavism.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by weero
Why? And why in Biz?

I'd understand that you wanted to sample it in coach or PE as that is kinda special but in Biz it's just an atavism.
Upper deck on the 747 is a unique (and nowadays rare) opportunity.
Fabo.sk and the810 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by weero
Why? And why in Biz?

Originally Posted by ty97
1) for the sake of completion
2) to be able to fly in the nose section in the most cost effective way.

I get what you mean. I am actually not interested in flying LH, its current business product or even the 747-400 per se. But I am only interested in flying the 747-400 in the nose section. It is the only section I have never flown on. And it is an experience that I believe is unique as no other aircraft cabin allows you a partial "front" window view. I have been on all other sections of the 747-400, including the upper deck. I have even flown on 744s of all engine versions (GE, PW, RR), and the 741, 742, 743, 744, and 74M. I missed my opportunity to fly the 747SP and 74D.

I know some of you will say that flying in the nose section is an overrated experience. So be it - it's for the sake of completion as mentioned above, being the Avgeek that I am.

I booked a KE first ticket for late last year on a 748, and aircraft got swapped for a 77W.

Next on my bucket list is actually flying on the 747-8 upper deck, and A380 upper deck. Will fly those on LH and NH, respectively, but will probably wait til the 748 gets Allegris.

The other soon-to-be extinct aircraft I'm trying to fly on is the A330-200. No ideas for that yet.
Fabo.sk, the810 and weero like this.

Last edited by hikouki; May 22, 2024 at 8:45 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 9:17 pm

1) for the sake of completion
2) to be able to fly in the nose section in the most cost effective way.

I get what you mean. I am actually not interested in flying LH, its current business product or even the 747-400 per se. But I am only interested in flying the 747-400 in the nose section. It is the only section I have never flown on. And it is an experience that I believe is unique as no other aircraft cabin allows you a partial "front" window view. I have been on all other sections of the 747-400, including the upper deck. I have even flown on 744s of all engine versions (GE, PW, RR), and the 741, 742, 743, 744, and 74M. I missed my opportunity to fly the 747SP and 74D.

Flew in 1K on a CX 747 (surprise at the gate UG from a VERY cheap J fare.. ) and was actually amazed at just how much of a forward view that frontmost window provides. Partial, yes...but a lot more than I would have thought. Enjoy!
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I might be in the minority, but having flown in row 1 (and more generally the nose) on the 747 a few times, I find that the loud thud-thud-thud of the nose gear rolling over the runway centerline lights during takeoff and landing (assuming the pilots have the plane perfectly lined up) is more satisfying than the semi-forward view out the window.

But to answer OP's question, right now on balance it's probably OS by a bit, even more so when they get their 787s with direct aisle access from every seat. The catch is that their route network is small compared to LH or LX. If I had a choice of a one-stop itinerary on LX or LH vs a two-stop on OS, I would pick the former (ditto for nonstop vs one-stop).
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Flew in 1K on a CX 747 (surprise at the gate UG from a VERY cheap J fare.. ) and was actually amazed at just how much of a forward view that frontmost window provides. Partial, yes...but a lot more than I would have thought. Enjoy!
Likewise for my experience in 1K in LH 744 (paid J). UD is special in and of itself, but I would not hesitate to take a row 1 seat in the 744 again.

I mean, 748 obviously too, but that's a different matter.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:09 am

Programs: *G
outside of LH open herringbone seat being objectively older and less private, I make no quality distinction between LH/OS/LX.
if 747 is available, that usually sways my decision.
ty97 likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:45 am

Well it always depends on personal prefference... for example, I don't care much about the quality of screens as such, as long as they are there, and the library is half decent... I tend to listen to music more than watch anything anyway. But screens and connectivity means a lot for some, and charging options etc.

I for one value more the individual seats with direct aisle access from window side. So for example for me LH is seatwise a loser even against "bad" 1-2-2/2-1-1 seats in LX config even if by themselves the LH seats are better.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To piggyback on OP's question: which of the LHG airlines would you say offers the best bedding in J? IMO this has been a weak point across all airlines for a while, especially LX and OS, but curious if others have different opinions.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by dkc192
To piggyback on OP's question: which of the LHG airlines would you say offers the best bedding in J? IMO this has been a weak point across all airlines for a while, especially LX and OS, but curious if others have different opinions.
LH on night flights >10h when they provide a cover/thin mattress.
sw1x likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
Originally Posted by MichielR
LH on night flights >10h when they provide a cover/thin mattress.
On LX night flights - no mattress and a worn-out blanket. (Photo taken March 2024)

The same(?) blanket when it was new13 years ago!

Old May 26, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I am actually not interested in flying LH, its current business product or even the 747-400 per se. But I am only interested in flying the 747-400 in the nose section..
Thanks for sharing this intricate master plan ^ .

Originally Posted by ty97
It was rarer when First was up there.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.