Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Ground Handling Verdi Strike on 7-8 MAR 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by dingo
Looking for some help on whether 261 applies to me and, if so, in what amount. Booking details:
3 passengers
Booked using United miles on United.com for flight on Croatian Air.
From Munich to Dubrovnik
Departure on March 7
Departure time from Munich / arrival time in Dubrovnik: 10:35 AM / 3:45 PM
Flight from Munich to Zagreb was cancelled due to the strike

Croatian rebooking details:
Rebooked us on flights out of Frankfurt (not Munich)
Departure on March 8
Depature time from Frankfurt / arrival time in Dubrovnik: 3:01 PM / 9:10 PM

Being rebooked out of Frankfurt didn't seem to help me. Getting to Frankfurt seemed difficult, expensive or not feasible given the dbahn strike, and Frankfurt was strike problems as well.

I cancelled the booking on United's webpage.

On arrival to Munich we:
Booked a Flixbus to Zagreb
Caught a cab to the Munich train station.
On the way to the train station I found a train that looked like it was still going; two changes and a half hour longer than the bus. Booked the train.
On the train, cancelled the bus and lost the money from that.
On the train, booked a flight from Zagreb to Dubrovnik using cash on Croatia Air's website.
Arried in Zagreb, booked a hotel, stayed overnight.
Caught the flight the next morning to Dubrovnik.
The hotel in Dubrovnik would not waive the fee for the first night so I ended up paying for two hotel rooms for one of the nights.

I've never done a 261 before (that I recall) so am unsure who I am claiming against and what I should try to get. Any assistance?

(United has not refunded any of my miles or cash for the original award; I called and spent a half hour on the phone with them but had to let them keep working it. Two days later I get an email saying they couldn't get the refund and asked me to call them. I assume I keep working on United, not Croatia, for the miles and cash?)
EU261 does not apply because it was not OU employees on strike, therefore extraordinary & beyond their control, duty of care always applies.

UA should refund for flights you could not take, for everything else your travel insurance should pay out.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63
EU261 does not apply because it was not OU employees on strike, therefore extraordinary & beyond their control, duty of care always applies.

UA should refund for flights you could not take, for everything else your travel insurance should pay out.
EC261/2004 absolutely applies and that is the regulation that concerns all of the stuff around delays and cancellations. I understand you mean to say that compensation clauses do not apply, but such statements are only creating confusion (whether they have to do with exenuating circumstances at time of flight, or advance notice of cancellations. Hence the need for my signature).

As you correctly note, Right to Care applies.

Unfortunately here, actions dingo mean that there is no care to be had. Essentially at the point you decide (rightly, IMO) to take matters into own hands and take ground transport to ZAG, the trip is abandoned and only right remains is the right for a full refund.
Anything over that will have to be taken up with your travel insurance.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
In respect to EC261/2004 for the 8MAR Verdi strike, just got my compensation for cancellation approved! Didn't expect it would go through, but was quite happy to see it
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
EC261/2004 absolutely applies and that is the regulation that concerns all of the stuff around delays and cancellations. I understand you mean to say that compensation clauses do not apply, but such statements are only creating confusion (whether they have to do with exenuating circumstances at time of flight, or advance notice of cancellations. Hence the need for my signature).

As you correctly note, Right to Care applies.

Unfortunately here, actions dingo mean that there is no care to be had. Essentially at the point you decide (rightly, IMO) to take matters into own hands and take ground transport to ZAG, the trip is abandoned and only right remains is the right for a full refund.
Anything over that will have to be taken up with your travel insurance.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by dimkagfx
In respect to EC261/2004 for the 8MAR Verdi strike, just got my compensation for cancellation approved! Didn't expect it would go through, but was quite happy to see it
I submitted my claims two weeks ago together with the receipt for my car park overcharge - got a claim number acknowledgement but nothing else. How long are claims taking. We got stuck in South America for 72 hours albeit in a hotel provided by LH
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
LH and the union settled their negotiations and will publish the details of their new wage agreement tomorrow.
chris63 and koriobg like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:26 am

Well thank goodness for that and great news. We're off on our honeymoon with LH / SQ on Monday, and were really worried that everything was going to get screwed up. Thank you very much for the update. @oliver2002 you have made our day!!! :-)

Last edited by MrTravel; Mar 28, 2024 at 12:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.