Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest from Y in empty J seat on continental flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Fennario
Nope, the cabin was full, and the visitor (older man) was the 9th person in there having dinner. He was invited into the cabin right before caviar service, sat down on the ottoman in 1A, and proceeded to take a bunch of photos of the cabin with his phone. As I wrote above, the two pax even traded places for an hour or two following dinner. The younger guy who started out in 1A left the cabin with his laptop, while the older one (visitor) reclined and then lied flat for a long while until the F pax came back to reclaim his seat (an hour or two later).

Again, I didn't complain at the time because I got the impression that this was common practice. There was even a CoCreation Hub survey about it: https://cocreationhub.lufthansagroup...ining/overview

Given this experience in F previously, I wondered about a continental J flight. I will be on an F ticket during the J flight in question. It seemed that if this practice can happen to my detriment, then it ought to be able to happen to my benefit as well. Regardless, this thread has convinced me to drop the idea of asking the purser about a guest.

Guest was 9th in cabin and arrived for caviar and dinner.

Guest borrowed 1A for an hour or two.

So it does happen. I've decided that I won't bother to try my luck, but it's interesting to know that it happens.

Fair point, although the spare seats sometimes have writing on them that say "your free space".

YOUR, not anyone else's !
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Coffee drinker

And who gave you permission to post pictures of F pax on the forum? You are violating their privacy.
There’s always one…We missed you when President Milei’s photos flying LH were all over the internet and press 😂.
nilsfr69, jhawk0202 and Fennario like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Fennario
Nope, the cabin was full, and the visitor (older man) was the 9th person in there having dinner. He was invited into the cabin right before caviar service, sat down on the ottoman in 1A, and proceeded to take a bunch of photos of the cabin with his phone. ".
This is where it gets serious, i am not sure what the Crew were thinking, in the case of sudden decompression there is no oxygen mask for pax 9 in an 8 suite cabin….. & of course no belt in the event of unexpected turbulence……
andywaw and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the OP’s question that means those safety factors are not hindering the chance to upgrade .
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by andywaw
You keep saying that about F. Perhaps it was an exception rather than the rule.
I haven't been many times in F to be honest, maybe around 20 times but I have never seen this happen. I have only seen a fellow F passenger joining another F passenger on the ottoman.
​​​​​
It happens in F. I have seen it many times. Two examples from 2023:
LH FRA-SIN: I was the only HON in F and just after boarding the Purser asked me if I would allow an elderly couple in F to have their 2 adult "kids" join them for a drink after take-off. He promised to make sure they won't be loud. I agreed to it.
LX BKK-ZRH, again, I was the only HON and when the MC introduced himself he informed me that a someone with the same family name than mine was onboard. Of course he did not mention who it was. I allowed him to share my name with that other person and it turned out that my cousin was siting a row behind me in C. He was allowed to join me for about 1h and had some food and wine with me. This was about 2h before landing. Very nice gesture.
These are just 2 recent examples.

Goes without saying that they are are the rare exceptions and on most F flights this does not happen.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63
This is where it gets serious, i am not sure what the Crew were thinking, in the case of sudden decompression there is no oxygen mask for pax 9 in an 8 suite cabin….. & of course no belt in the event of unexpected turbulence……
Actually I don't think the masks are an issue. By standard there are extra masks in the cabin, for both in case of lap infant (not much chance in F, still) and for anyone in the aisle, mainly cabin crew, to be able to "relay" themselves to their jumpseat.

If you take a close look at this narrowbody drop, you can see there are always 4 despite the configuration having 3 seats.

The seatbelts do remain an issue.
chris63 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Actually I don't think the masks are an issue. By standard there are extra masks in the cabin, for both in case of lap infant (not much chance in F, still) and for anyone in the aisle, mainly cabin crew, to be able to "relay" themselves to their jumpseat.

If you take a close look at this narrowbody drop, you can see there are always 4 despite the configuration having 3 seats.

The seatbelts do remain an issue.
Interesting, i wonder what the regulator would make of exceeding the pax numbers in a cabin
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I don't think regulator would be happy, but might close an eye if the seatbelt sign is not on (presuming that if it were to be turned on, any extra pax would get up and return to their seat as if they were e.g. in the line for the loo)
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:20 am

SQ have the best policy on a situation where someone in F or C wants someone in Y to join them. They reverse the situation and offer to find the F or C passenger a seat in Y with their friend.

That's how it always should be.
Koby, chris63, MichielR and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I don't think regulator would be happy, but might close an eye if the seatbelt sign is not on (presuming that if it were to be turned on, any extra pax would get up and return to their seat as if they were e.g. in the line for the loo)
One can only hope there are strict rules in not exceeding the number of pax in a cabin & without the relevant safety equipment immediately at hand, long way back from 1A on a 748 via 2 curtains to J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.