Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest from Y in empty J seat on continental flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Fennario
Is it allowed to invite a guest from Y to join you in J for a 2x2 configuration where you have two seats to yourself?
You dont have two seats for yourself! There may be an empty seat next to you, but its not yours, so you cant invite anyone.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: LH SEN
Of course it is not ok to invite guests. No different from self-upgrading because there is an unused seat in a premium cabin.

But whoa, what a bold statement. Accusing all businesses of lying and publicly laughting at regulators and lawmakers?

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
The airlines are a business like any other.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Aren't they doing the electronic bracelet thing yet that will buzz if a Y passenger tries to pass the barrier?
arf04 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Aren't they doing the electronic bracelet thing yet that will buzz if a Y passenger tries to pass the barrier?
Everyone in Y should be forced to wear the Wedlock stuff from the old Rutger Hauer movie from 1991. If they pass the curtain the head comes off...
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Maybe both were F passengers enjoying dinner together ?
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I would be overly surprised if the pax isn't a F pax as well.
Nope, the cabin was full, and the visitor (older man) was the 9th person in there having dinner. He was invited into the cabin right before caviar service, sat down on the ottoman in 1A, and proceeded to take a bunch of photos of the cabin with his phone. As I wrote above, the two pax even traded places for an hour or two following dinner. The younger guy who started out in 1A left the cabin with his laptop, while the older one (visitor) reclined and then lied flat for a long while until the F pax came back to reclaim his seat (an hour or two later).

Again, I didn't complain at the time because I got the impression that this was common practice. There was even a CoCreation Hub survey about it: https://cocreationhub.lufthansagroup...ining/overview

Given this experience in F previously, I wondered about a continental J flight. I will be on an F ticket during the J flight in question. It seemed that if this practice can happen to my detriment, then it ought to be able to happen to my benefit as well. Regardless, this thread has convinced me to drop the idea of asking the purser about a guest.

Guest was 9th in cabin and arrived for caviar and dinner.

Guest borrowed 1A for an hour or two.

Originally Posted by Patrickschmidt
On one of my EU continental short hop:
2 pax traveling together on a different tickets. I was sitting in C, other in Y (no C available to buy or upgrade at that time) Pax in Y as HNCO.
I asked purser if its ok if I join other pax in Y but Y was full. So instead purser said that Y pax can sit with me in C.
For that gesture I decided that it will be fair (to crew and other pax) to skip meal service.
YMMV but I guess you just have to ask purser.
So it does happen. I've decided that I won't bother to try my luck, but it's interesting to know that it happens.

Originally Posted by patvd
You dont have two seats for yourself! There may be an empty seat next to you, but its not yours, so you cant invite anyone.
Fair point, although the spare seats sometimes have writing on them that say "your free space".

Last edited by Fennario; Feb 7, 2024 at 4:25 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not o.k. in J. Not o.k. in F. Most crews will police this (and they should).
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:14 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Certainly Not

Is it allowed to invite a guest from Y to join you in J for a 2x2 configuration where you have two seats to yourself? I can see how this would be a problem in 3x3, but how about 2x2?
Certainly Not only Low and Non Revenue Staff are allowed this undocumented Perk.

Oh and last Minute Standbys as moving an Elite High Revenue Passengers from Y to Business would cause Far too Much inconvenience for the Gate Staff.

Perhaps maybe Crew Family and Friends Other FA you may know.
Fennario likes this.

Last edited by UncleDude; Feb 7, 2024 at 10:16 am Reason: More info
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Is it allowed to invite a guest from Y to join you in J for a 2x2 configuration where you have two seats to yourself? I can see how this would be a problem in 3x3, but how about 2x2?
If I was in the J seat on the aisle/window on the same row I'd rightly ask for a refund.

Intercontinental F aside, one of the few perks of Euro-J is the spare seat next to me. And considering that's shared with the other J pax in the same row it's very much not yours alone.

That's also a problem with 2x2 - because on LHG the J seats on 2x2 rows are staggered. I'm not going to run the risk of my legs and knees from getting rammed by your guest from Y.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:51 pm

Fair point, although the spare seats sometimes have writing on them that say "your free space".
You mean the middle seat? That one is indeed free space to be shared between the window and aisle seat passengers, but should remain unoccupied.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
That's also a problem with 2x2 - because on LHG the J seats on 2x2 rows are staggered. I'm not going to run the risk of my legs and knees from getting rammed by your guest from Y.
That's actually a good point. I think you're talking about the possibility of the seat being reclined, in which case the guest would affect the experience of anyone who might be in J behind them.

You mean the middle seat? That one is indeed free space to be shared between the window and aisle seat passengers, but should remain unoccupied.
No, I specified 2x2 (see first post), in which case there is no middle seat.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
In fairness, the OP specified in his first post that he meant 2-2 seat configuration. FT users rush to comment on something they did not read in detail...
Nevertheless, I still think that even in 2-2 C seat configuration, guesting someone from Y on the seat next to you is not allowed.
chris63, MichielR, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:10 pm

I appreciate the replies and also the perspectives. Sounds like it's not a common practice to allow visits, unlike in the F cabin.
Why not book the F cabin then, so you can invite your friend(s)?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by zitsky
Why not book the F cabin then, so you can invite your friend(s)?
Presumably because convincing Lufthansa to fly an A350 to Katowice would be significantly more costly than 500 euros for a J seat in a CRJ.
Koby, Fabo.sk, DiamondMile and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: Skywards
Pax ticketed in Y who spends at least part of the flight occupying the spare J seat (next to J pax who wants the Y guest there). I suppose we can just try it and see what happens, but I'm curious to know if it has been OK for anyone else.
I hope it's not ok. Want to sit in J, pay for J or use points.

And who gave you permission to post pictures of F pax on the forum? You are violating their privacy.
Koby and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
Presumably because convincing Lufthansa to fly an A350 to Katowice would be significantly more costly than 500 euros for a J seat in a CRJ.
Or perhaps convincing them to cram an F cabin into the CRJ...maybe an Allegris super-suite with a bed for 6 people and some Taste of Heimat thrown in for old times sake.

Originally Posted by Coffee drinker
I hope it's not ok. Want to sit in J, pay for J or use points.

And who gave you permission to post pictures of F pax on the forum? You are violating their privacy.
Understandable. Images are now edited for privacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.