Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH has lost 30,000 bags and is lying about it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
LH has lost 30,000 bags and is lying about it

Good, if depressing, story about the right, royal mess here: https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/09/25/...dded-each-day/
Quotes long report from the Munich Abendzeitung newspaper explaining the chaos. Apparently current baggage handlers are losing their contract next year and so "can't keep up" with the volume of luggage to be transported. Article says LH might go the BA route and incinerate the luggage rather than try to get it to its proper destination. Depressing stuff. Hint: only hand luggage on LH!
pdeut likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Thanks for posting, shocking read
pdeut likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
sad but unfortunately quite easy to believe. Even F luggage seems to be getting lost more recently.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Airlines rely indeed on the service providers at the airport but they are also notoriously ignorant when it comes to issues and raising them with the airport.

MUC baggage handling has always been pretty bad and whenever I picked up luggage in MUC, there were huge delays. Lufthansa regularly did nothing to speak to the airport.

I did not understand why BA burned luggage in the end and I hope for everyone waiting for luggage will be offered a better solution.
chris63 and pdeut like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 100 containers (which each have about 30 pieces in them) have been around since August when they had the 4-5 days of thunderstorms in quick succession. After a number of serious news outlets did balanced reports its AZs turn to churn out a clickbait yellow press headline which was picked up by some bloggers. After MUC has kicked out Swissport/LOSCH (they leave in Q1/24 and will be replaced by Aviapartner) LH is looking into setting up their own 'under the wing' ground handling unit in FRA & MUC. Curious what the outcome will be.
chris63 and Gnopps like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I'm confused. Is the luggage lost (definition of lost meaning the airline does not know where it is) or is luggage just not delivered but still possessed and sits in some warehouse and just need to be processed?
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
After a number of serious news outlets did balanced reports its AZs turn to churn out a clickbait yellow press headline which was picked up by some bloggers.
Are you suggesting it's wrong to flag this out? I find it pretty embarrassing that the problem is so clearly defined down to the container and the location and no solution can be found.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
I'm confused. Is the luggage lost (definition of lost meaning the airline does not know where it is) or is luggage just not delivered but still possessed and sits in some warehouse and just need to be processed?
They are not being processed, even if there is an airtag inside the bag and you could tell them the location
pdeut likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The 30,000 are sitting in warehouses and including on the tarmac. There may well be more pieces of luggage at other airports (the 30,000 are just at Munich) but LH just doesn't know about those. So if your definition of "not lost" is "your bag is in there somewhere, we just don't know where..." then the bags are not lost. But if your definition of lost is "I've been waiting more than 30 days and LH still has no idea where my bag is" then yeah, the bags are lost.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 100 containers (which each have about 30 pieces in them).
This gets us to 3000. Care to speculate on where the additional 27,000 are?
"AZs turn to churn out a clickbait yellow press headline which was picked up by some bloggers." So any reporting on this fiasco, even if true, is yellow journalism? Oliver, do you perhaps work for LH or Swissport? Or maybe the Munich Tourism Board??
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by SMK77
Are you suggesting it's wrong to flag this out? I find it pretty embarrassing that the problem is so clearly defined down to the container and the location and no solution can be found.
No but if luggage is completely lost and LH does not even know where to look chances are slim to get the luggage back. If it is that the luggage is sitting around they just need to get the manpower to sort the mess out there is a chance to solve it. No one can tell me that the 30.000 or 3.000 bags have all lost there luggage tag or no address tag on them. Some might have nothing on them but definitely not all of them. So I might would help for the press or the bloggers to ask such questions. It would give much more insight.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by chris63
They are not being processed, even if there is an airtag inside the bag and you could tell them the location
I learned a couple of weeks ago that you can set off an alarm in an Airtag which will alert any passing iphone user to the presence of the bag. My OH had a bag fail to make a transit in ZRH and he could see exactly where it was, it sat unmoving for two days when he remembered about the alarm function. I don't know how well it worked but the bag was loaded on to the next LX flight to DUB and it was delivered home the following day.

I'm not an iphone user but for a couple of years now, I've always put a Tile in a checked bag - whether the airline likes it or not but thus far, nothing has gone missing but it's always quite comforting to check the bag is in the hold as you board.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:08 am

I'm really worried now, I will be flying LH transiting in MUC soon and have to check a bag with dive gear. Is staff shortage the only cause of bags not being loaded onto flights correctly?
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
No but if luggage is completely lost and LH does not even know where to look chances are slim to get the luggage back. If it is that the luggage is sitting around they just need to get the manpower to sort the mess out there is a chance to solve it. No one can tell me that the 30.000 or 3.000 bags have all lost there luggage tag or no address tag on them. Some might have nothing on them but definitely not all of them. So I might would help for the press or the bloggers to ask such questions. It would give much more insight.
Luggage is not lost and manpower is required to solve the mess. Press and bloggers raise public awareness so that the parties involved start to feel the heat.
chris63, the810, pdeut and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta, United
A comment I posted (not on FT) is that it is cheaper for the airlines to pay a claim on the "lost" bag than to process it, i.e. returning it to the owner (assuming id tags are present). As such, the airlines are going that route. The only solution is to change the limits in the Montreal Convention and other rules regarding lost baggage. Until the claim cost far outweighs the return cost, checking a bag is going to a crap shoot.

FWIW, when traveling I have multiple ID tags on the outside of the bags, ID on the inside (including all flights and destination hotel info), and now Apple Tags. And like others profiled in the press when the airline failed and if my air tag showed the location of my bag I would've no hesitation flying to the destination, reclaiming the bag, then sending the airline the bill (and if necessary file in small claim court).
chris63 and Harper50505 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.