Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH has lost 30,000 bags and is lying about it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: United MP
Why didn’t i see this before now? Ab0out to fly IAD-FRA-CPH today, and I have to check bags! In a week we’ll b flying through MUC too. Thanks for posting it anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Good, if depressing, story about the right, royal mess here: https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/09/25/...dded-each-day/
Quotes long report from the Munich Abendzeitung newspaper explaining the chaos. Apparently current baggage handlers are losing their contract next year and so "can't keep up" with the volume of luggage to be transported. Article says LH might go the BA route and incinerate the luggage rather than try to get it to its proper destination. Depressing stuff. Hint: only hand luggage on LH!
And yet it is extraordinarily aggressive about making pax check their carryon to the extent that entire sections of overhead bins remain empty.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: United MP
After reading this thread just before travel, i was worried, but my bags made it connecting both in FRA and later in MUC.
bertles86 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:01 am

My experience at MUC this morning, and having to wait just under two hours for my checked bag (couldn’t be avoided due to needing to bring a few items that can’t be taken on board), is that there are definitely some systemic issues that make the problem of luggage delivery worse than it needs to be. I could see where my bag was as I have an AirTag so I knew it was near the arrival gate. That was the good news, After about an hour of waiting, the information screen by the luggage belt changed the message from awaiting delivery to delivery is ended. I followed the crowd to the baggage office to find out what was up with the baggage off my flight and eventually someone from LH walked down the lineup and talked to each person. The basic message was that it takes about two hours for bags to come up so to be patient. If one didn’t want to wait, then one could fill out an online form (or wait longer in line to fill it out in person) to have one’s luggage delivered in 1-2 days. Quite a few people did this, so the extra labour on LH’s part to deliver the bags can’t be helping the situation vs having more people in the airport to simply process bags more quickly.

I showed the LH person my iPhone with the AirTag location and he said the best bet was to wait it out. He was friendly and I actually quite appreciated his candour. He was trying to help people with limited resources and at least I knew the score.

The problem would have been much alleviated if the information screen had not stated that luggage delivery was ended. Even better, if they were able to post a message that stated delivery would take up to 2 hours I’m sure people would not be so anxious about it. Sure, 2 hours is way too long but if you know about it then you can plan accordingly. It is puzzling why they can’t message what they clearly know is an average delivery time. It would save them lots of hassle and create a better experience for passengers.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I had a short connection in ZRH on Tuesday and my bag didn’t make it. LX sent me a message about it while I was waiting at the belt at 9am. I used the link from the email to report it, but the system didn’t pick up all the details correctly. So I went to the desk and had the PIR corrected. The agent noticed that my bag had already been rush tagged and was ready to be loaded on the LH flight from ZRH. Sure enough it arrived 2 hours later in MUC around noon and was handed to the courier for delivery at 3pm. They called me ask if the next day delivery would be ok and sent an email confirming deliver between 9 and 11am. Next day the driver called at 8.30 and delivered at 8.45.

When I asked the agent about the 3, 9 or 30 000 bags she just rolled her eyes.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I had a short connection in ZRH on Tuesday and my bag didn’t make it. LX sent me a message about it while I was waiting at the belt at 9am. I used the link from the email to report it, but the system didn’t pick up all the details correctly. So I went to the desk and had the PIR corrected. The agent noticed that my bag had already been rush tagged and was ready to be loaded on the LH flight from ZRH. Sure enough it arrived 2 hours later in MUC around noon and was handed to the courier for delivery at 3pm. They called me ask if the next day delivery would be ok and sent an email confirming deliver between 9 and 11am. Next day the driver called at 8.30 and delivered at 8.45.

When I asked the agent about the 3, 9 or 30 000 bags she just rolled her eyes.
Lovely story. Lufthansa and its biggest fanboy. Criticise the evil press for bait clicks and get your bag first. No better way to fly.
JSarj likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
I also had 2 months ago case in ZRH where one of our 2 bags (both HON tagged) did not make my connection to TLL.
Already on moment of landing I got notification, that bag is rerouted via FRA on LH to earliest possible connection to TLL. And so it arrived.
Of course it is not acceptbale, that HON bag is not loaded (even more strange, that 1 of 2 HON bags), but as far I undertsood, the lugagge system in ZRH is not the same as in FRA and in MUC.
But no catastrophy on bag delivery.

Press, for sure, is hunting at first for the clicks.
At another side in airports as MUC with about 40-50 airplane movements per hour and around 200 bags (roughly, as planes are also different) per plane, 30 000 bags are bags from 3-4 hours operations. Of course, it should not be that way at all. But definetly it can not be called as catastrophy.
Lufthansa itself is not handling any luggage in MUC after checkin desk and before plane cargo door.
Ground handling is not on the required level. Why airline is not pressing ground handlings harder is anothr question and here the bigger monetary responsibility to carrier wil be finally good for passengers even if it lead to rise the tickets price.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SMK77
Lovely story. Lufthansa and its biggest fanboy. Criticise the evil press for bait clicks and get your bag first. No better way to fly.
Just recounted my experience with a lost bag at MUC. Please do share your experiences.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just recounted my experience with a lost bag at MUC. Please do share your experiences.
Very insightful. Thank you for sharing.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Raul_R
[..]
Ground handling is not on the required level. Why airline is not pressing ground handlings harder is anothr question and here the bigger monetary responsibility to carrier wil be finally good for passengers even if it lead to rise the tickets price.
Right. As if current prices of between EUR 500 and 800 for a domestic roundtrip in Y wouldn't pay for proper baggage handling.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 4:25 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sw1x
Right. As if current prices of between EUR 500 and 800 for a domestic roundtrip in Y wouldn't pay for proper baggage handling.
What are you booking, same-day returns for tomorrow? That's hardly a representative LH ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
What are you booking, same-day returns for tomorrow? That's hardly a representative LH ticket.
I beg to differ. One week out, overnight return HAM - FRA. Has been like that for months.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:54 am

I got a peak £1500 bsns return LCY-HKG fare from Swiss... not sure i'd pay £800 for economy shorthaul.

Last edited by JSarj; Oct 10, 2023 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JSarj
I got a peak £1500 bsns return LCY-HKG fare from Swiss... not sure i'd bay £800 for economy shorthaul.
Nobody in their right mind would voluntarily. But what to do if you’re captive and the only thing you know for certain at LH‘s only inter-modal competitor Deutsche Bahn is that the train will not depart at the advertised time and it most certainly won‘t arrive on time?
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sw1x
Nobody in their right mind would voluntarily. But what to do if you’re captive and the only thing you know for certain at LH‘s only inter-modal competitor Deutsche Bahn is that the train will not depart at the advertised time and it most certainly won‘t arrive on time?
Not to mention LCY - ZRH - HKG is not comparable, nor is £1500 GBP return the normal cost in J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.